A Nine-Planet Solar System Once More? NASA Telescope May RevealNew Planet, Tyche

Old February 19th 11, 07:43 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default A Nine-Planet Solar System Once More? NASA Telescope May RevealNew Planet, Tyche

On 11-02-18 06:20 PM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
With an assumed mass of 4 Jupiters, such a planet would be very easy to
detect given 19th century (or earlier) technology and sufficient
patience. It will displace the barycentre of the solar system
periodically by of the order of 250 AU, and Sun and Earth both orbit
that barycentre. That will easily be detected by parallax measurements
of many of the nearer stars, assumed to be on the average fixed.
Unfortunately, the orbital period is of the order of 1.8 M years.

Even with 4 Jupiter masses, the Sun still outweighs it by 250 times, so
the barycenter still lies much closer to the Sun than this planet.

Yousuf Khan
Old February 22nd 11, 12:35 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 20/02/2011 4:59 PM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.astro , Sat, 19 Feb 2011
13:43:22, Yousuf posted:
Even with 4 Jupiter masses, the Sun still outweighs it by 250 times, so
the barycenter still lies much closer to the Sun than this planet.

Yes, but the planet is so far away from the Sun that the barycentre is
still a long way from the Sun. Remember, it is mass TIMES distance that
counts. 15,000 AU divided by 250 is 60 AU (I appear to have
miscalculated before).

Still the barycenter is the amalgamation of all of the planets as well
as the Sun, not just Tyche and the Sun.

Yousuf Khan
Old February 22nd 11, 01:16 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Greg Neill[_6_]

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 20/02/2011 4:59 PM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.astro , Sat, 19 Feb 2011
13:43:22, Yousuf posted:
Even with 4 Jupiter masses, the Sun still outweighs it by 250 times, so
the barycenter still lies much closer to the Sun than this planet.

Yes, but the planet is so far away from the Sun that the barycentre is
still a long way from the Sun. Remember, it is mass TIMES distance that
counts. 15,000 AU divided by 250 is 60 AU (I appear to have
miscalculated before).

Still the barycenter is the amalgamation of all of the planets as well
as the Sun, not just Tyche and the Sun.

The product of distance and mass for each tells the tail. All the usual
planets operating together (Including Jupiter) never move the barycenter
much beyond the Sun's radius; it's usually located within the Sun, except
during times when there are "grand alignments" which the tabloids and
doomsayers are so fond of.

The proposed Tyche would impose another long term motion that would
push the barycenter way, way out. The motion is so long term that
we would hardly notice it over short time periods (like the last
century or two!).

Old February 22nd 11, 10:16 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Dr J R Stockton[_102_]

In sci.astro message , Mon, 21 Feb 2011
18:35:21, Yousuf Khan posted:

On 20/02/2011 4:59 PM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.astro , Sat, 19 Feb 2011
13:43:22, Yousuf posted:
Even with 4 Jupiter masses, the Sun still outweighs it by 250 times, so
the barycenter still lies much closer to the Sun than this planet.

Yes, but the planet is so far away from the Sun that the barycentre is
still a long way from the Sun. Remember, it is mass TIMES distance that
counts. 15,000 AU divided by 250 is 60 AU (I appear to have
miscalculated before).

Still the barycenter is the amalgamation of all of the planets as well
as the Sun, not just Tyche and the Sun.

Since (presumed) Tyche is so far away and orbits so slowly, the effects
of the others essentially average out to a small correction while Tyche
makes an orbit.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.