POSTSCIENTISM: FALSE AXIOMS AND ABSURD AXIOMS

Old August 12th 09, 06:15 AM posted to sci.logic,alt.philosophy,sci.astro,sci.math
Pentcho Valev

Default POSTSCIENTISM: FALSE AXIOMS AND ABSURD AXIOMS

False (but not absurd!) axioms, e.g. Einstein's 1905 light postulate,
are extremely dangerous and can convert science into ideology:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...ent=a909857880

Still some criticism involving REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM remains possible:

http://www.labnews.co.uk/laboratory_...lar-of-physics

However in the era of Postscientism absurdity knows no limits and can
be inherent in the axioms themselves:

L. McGlashan, Chemical thermodynamics, Academic Press, London (1979),
pp. 72-73:
"For an infinitesimal change in the state of a phase alpha we write
dU = T dS - p dV + SUM mu_B dn_B (1)
We regard equation (1) as an axiom and call it the fundamental
equation for a change of the state of a phase alpha. It is one half of
the second law of thermodynamics. We do not ask where it comes from.
Indeed we do not admit the existence of any more fundamental relations
from which it might have been derived. Nor shall we here enquire into
the history of its formulation, though that is a subject of great
interest to the historian of science. It is a starting point; it must
be learnt by heart."

In the case of ABSURD axioms no criticism is possible and
postscientists are free to deduce anything. So Ilya Prigogine combined
the above "fundamental" (Gibbs') equation with the INCOMMENSURABLE
equation dU=dQ-pdV and mathematically vindicated his idiotic idea that
the entropy, like a substance, is either produced inside the system or
imported or both. The postscientific community immediately gave
Prigogine the Nobel prize.

Pentcho Valev