F-14 being destroyed instead of...

Old July 17th 07, 06:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default separation of powers (was F-14 being destroyed instead of...)

OM wrote:
I think we call this The National Guard these days; another good name at
the present time would be IED fodder.

...There's been some argument that the Guard is the evolutionary "next
step" of the Militia. I firmly believe this is false, as the "weekend
warriors" are really more of the "minor league" of the US Arrrrmy.
When a Militia was called up to the front, they weren't broken up and
absorbed into regular regiments. The Guardsmen usually are reassigned
to units based on their training and not retained as a unit.

Wikipedia has a article on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_(United_States)
Based on the Militia Act of 1903, there is an _Organized Militia_: The
National Guard and Naval Militia; and a _Reserve Militia_: "which
presently consist of every able-bodied man of at least 17 and under 45
years of age who are not members of the National Guard or Naval Militia."

Pat
OM

Old July 17th 07, 09:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
robert casey

the Confederacy winds up having to admit that there needs to be some
form of Federal government to keep it secure with regards to the rest
of the world. Otherwise, it's less than a dozen microcountries that
can be picked off one by one, or especially by an internal threat.

You'd think that they'd know this, based on the experience of the 13
colonies that just became independent of England. They tried a very
loose association of sorts before the Constitution was written up and
started in 1787.
Old July 17th 07, 09:16 PM posted to sci.space.history
robert casey

Default politics (was F-14 being destroyed instead of...)

US soil owned by US owners. Granted, they've had the hardpoints
removed, but it wouldn't be too much of a trick to rig up a few deer
rifles under the wings for a strafing run :-)

From what I've heard (I'm a city boy), deer hunting rules say no
hunting deer from aircraft.... :-)
Old July 17th 07, 09:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Gene DiGennaro

Default F-14 being destroyed instead of...

On Jul 2, 10:51 pm, Craig Fink wrote:
being sold to the American People. What craziness, here we are at War in the
Middle East and we are busy destroying weapons.

Hummm, kind of makes me wonder....
--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

I help run a small aviation museum in Baltimore. We were offered an
F14 for display. It would have flown to Martin State Airport and
delivered to us. However, the aircraft would need to have the engines
and sensitive avionics removed. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as
this is standard procedure for aircraft on loan from the DoD. Often
times the DoDO did this for us after we recieved the aircraft.
However, this time we had to pay for this "de-milling" ourselves to
the tune of about 15 grand. We don't have that kind of cash to swing
around on an aircraft that wasn't built here. We're mostly interested
in aerospace hsitory of Maryland, so we had to pass.

All of our ex-military aircraft on display are on loan from the DoD.
We can not fly them, nor sell them for spare parts. They can be
revoked if we don't care for them properly.

As for jet fighters flying around with "N" numbers, that's something
the FAA and DoD regulate highly. The average Joe can't buy a flyable
surplus fighter plane like he could at the end of WW2. The jet
warbirds flying around today are built up from surplus fuselages and
spare parts or bought intact from other countries. Back in 1970, a
surplus F-86 Sabrejet crashed on takeoff into a California ice cream
parlor. Because of that, there is a strict regulatory climate on
civilian fast jets. Also as the cold War came to an end, the former
Warsaw Pact countries were selling L-39's,Mig 15's, 19's and 21's on
the open market. Again the FAA became alarmed and placed a moratorium
on the importation of these aircraft.

Hope this clarify things a bit.

Gene DiGennaro
http://www.marylandaviationmuseum.org

Old July 17th 07, 11:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

robert casey wrote:

You'd think that they'd know this, based on the experience of the 13
colonies that just became independent of England. They tried a very
loose association of sorts before the Constitution was written up and
started in 1787.

Ironically, this was organized under The Articles Of Confederation. :-)

Pat
Old July 17th 07, 11:37 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Gene DiGennaro wrote:
Also as the cold War came to an end, the former
Warsaw Pact countries were selling L-39's,Mig 15's, 19's

Pity the people who try to fly those; the Chinese-made ones were fairly
reliable, but the Soviet-manufactured ones had a reputation as
widow-makers. They were prone to fires and explosions in the engine bay.
There sojourn in the Warsaw pact was fairly brief due to the MiG-21
getting into service sooner than expected; and nobody missed the MiG-19s
once the 21's arrived.

Pat
Old July 18th 07, 01:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jim Davis

Henry Spencer wrote:

However, I think it is nevertheless incorrect to say that
slavery wasn't the *cause*. Because for pretty well all the
obvious causes, if you look into what caused *them*, slavery was
at the bottom of it.

Certainly the secessionists thought so. The Texas Ordinance of
Secession is typical.

http://www.lsjunction.com/docs/secesson.htm

"In all the non-slave-holding States, in violation of that good
faith and comity which should exist between entirely distinct
nations, the people have formed themselves into a great sectional
party, now strong enough in numbers to control the affairs of each
of those States, based upon the unnatural feeling of hostility to
these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system
of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of the
equality of all men, irrespective of race or color--a doctrine at
war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in
violation of the plainest revelations of the Divine Law. They
demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy,
the recognition of political equality between the white and the
negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade
against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States."

Jim Davis
Old July 18th 07, 01:48 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Jul 16, 9:20 pm, robert casey wrote:
IIRC, Quebec had such a referendum about 15 years ago, and it almost
passed.

Yeah, but what was the referendum about? While it was sold to the
separatists as a vote on separation, it was sold to the non-separatist
majority as a vote to renegotiate Quebec's position within Canada.
The result: Polls before and after consistantly showed that even
among those who voted YES, the majority did not want to seperate.

Even those who wanted to seperate had strange ideas - encouraged by
the separatists - that they'd keep their Canadian citizenship and
passports, that Quebec would still have a say in Canadian monetary
policy, that they could still keep all the Canadian federal government
jobs, etc. Even stranger, that if Quebec could separate from Canada,
then somehow the english speaking non-separatist areas couldn't leave
Quebec.

Since then we passed the Clarity Act to prevent such a con-job from
happening again. Any vote on separation must be just that: clearly a
vote on separation. In other words, it won't happen.

But if that did happen, we'd lose the distinction of the USA
being one of a very few countries with a discontinuity of its
territory on the same landmass (Alaska and CONUS
, aka the lower 48).

There's also the discontinuity of the North-West Angle and the rest of
CONUS. Purchasing Manitoba would fix that.

Old July 18th 07, 02:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
There's also the discontinuity of the North-West Angle and the rest of
CONUS. Purchasing Manitoba would fix that.

Huh, had forgotton about.

And apparently there's two other small spots like that.

Ah, the wonders of Google.

Old July 18th 07, 05:41 AM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Jim Davis wrote:
...for pretty well all the obvious causes, if you look into what
caused *them*, slavery was at the bottom of it.

Certainly the secessionists thought so...

Correction: some of the secessionists thought so, including many of the
more rabid ones. Most of the Deep South did, but farther north, in places
like Virginia, opinion was rather more mixed.

As I think I said elsewhere, neither the North nor the South was
homogeneous on such things. Notably, there were abolitionists fighting
for the Confederacy -- quiet ones, given their environment, but in some
cases their opinions are well documented -- and some who favored slavery
fighting for the Union. (Remember, the Union included Maryland and
Delaware, and in practice included Kentucky too, and all three were slave
states.) Many brief modern accounts are deplorably oversimplified; the
real situation was complicated and messy.

The Texas Ordinance of Secession is typical...
"...proclaiming the debasing doctrine of the
equality of all men, irrespective of race or color--a doctrine at
war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in
violation of the plainest revelations of the Divine Law..."

Careful here. This is political propaganda written by extremists, not an
impartial presentation of all relevant opinions... as witness its claim
that abolitionists believed in a color-blind society, which was *not*
consistently true.

(Odd though it seems from today's perspective, there were a good many
racist abolitionists: they were opposed to slavery on moral grounds, or
thought it degrading to the whites involved, or believed it unsustainable
and dangerous... but did *not* see blacks as the equals of whites, or
believe that a color-blind society was either practical or desirable.
Witness various pre-war proposals for "solving the Negro problem" by
deporting American blacks -- slave and free alike!! -- to Africa.)

Even in the Deep South, whose formal political statements of the day now
seem utterly repugnant, people's actual opinions were often more diverse
and complex than those documents might suggest.

JADE SAYS AUK WILL BE DESTROYED Honest John Misc 30 February 26th 06 10:23 PM
Titan will be destroyed! Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 13 January 15th 05 10:54 AM
Titan will be destroyed! Pete Lawrence Amateur Astronomy 1 January 14th 05 08:21 PM
Mars destroyed Rodney Kelp History 15 November 29th 04 11:26 PM
Can a BH be destroyed? BenignVanilla Misc 33 April 7th 04 04:53 PM