Art!

Old October 6th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
gp.skinner

Default Art!

http://www.fredsblog.co.uk/2006/projects/6.htm

In the name of modern art, 2500 florescent tubes have been placed in a
field, under electricity wires to light up the night sky in Cumbria -
well thanks for that!

It's just a good job it's cloudy really.

Next year in the name of modern art I'm going to pollute a few rivers
with glow in the dark paint so you can see pretty patterns from space
(end of sarcasm).

Just because it's light pollution it does not matter to many people so
they get away with it, it does nark me sometimes!

Graeme

Old October 6th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On 6 Oct 2006 04:20:51 -0700, "gp.skinner"
wrote:

http://www.fredsblog.co.uk/2006/projects/6.htm

In the name of modern art, 2500 florescent tubes have been placed in a
field, under electricity wires to light up the night sky in Cumbria -
well thanks for that!

It's just a good job it's cloudy really.

Next year in the name of modern art I'm going to pollute a few rivers
with glow in the dark paint so you can see pretty patterns from space
(end of sarcasm).

Just because it's light pollution it does not matter to many people so
they get away with it, it does nark me sometimes!

It states...

"A live interactive installation that makes the invisible visible."

Should have read...

"A live interactive installation that makes the invisible visible and
the visible invisible."!

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old October 6th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

gp.skinner wrote:
http://www.fredsblog.co.uk/2006/projects/6.htm

In the name of modern art, 2500 florescent tubes have been placed in a
field, under electricity wires to light up the night sky in Cumbria -
well thanks for that!

It's just a good job it's cloudy really.

Next year in the name of modern art I'm going to pollute a few rivers
with glow in the dark paint so you can see pretty patterns from space
(end of sarcasm).

Just because it's light pollution it does not matter to many people so
they get away with it, it does nark me sometimes!

Graeme

That was the very same argument I use 2-3 years ago when we were asked
to contribute to the debate at the time of the light pollution and
astronomy enquiry. We know what happened and what the findings of the
Science and Technology Committee were.
Nobody gives a damn and they are all pontificating about waste and
global warming after that. Let's hope somebody goes along and smashes
the whole lot for the sake of sanity and balance.

Pierre MK-UK

Old October 8th 06, 10:08 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

wrote:
gp.skinner wrote:
[...]

Or gets bought by a rich art lover so he can set fire to it in his
warehouse. Much Kudos you know who (nice one!)

Old October 8th 06, 06:27 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp.skinner
http://www.fredsblog.co.uk/2006/projects/6.htm

In the name of modern art, 2500 florescent tubes have been placed in a
field, under electricity wires to light up the night sky in Cumbria -
well thanks for that! ...snip...Graeme
If slightly OT - presumably the electricity, before the tubes arrived, goes to waste, or do the tubes draw extra current?
Old October 9th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

nytecam wrote:
gp.skinner Wrote:
http://www.fredsblog.co.uk/2006/projects/6.htm

In the name of modern art, 2500 florescent tubes have been placed in a
field, under electricity wires to light up the night sky in Cumbria -
well thanks for that! ...snip...Graeme

If slightly OT - presumably the electricity, before the tubes arrived,
goes to waste, or do the tubes draw extra current?

Current theory has it that a charge build up is induced in the bulbs by
the interaction of the current through the wires and the earth through
the earth.

Old October 10th 06, 02:39 PM

nytecam wrote:
gp.skinner Wrote:
http://www.fredsblog.co.uk/2006/projects/6.htm

In the name of modern art, 2500 florescent tubes have been placed in a
field, under electricity wires to light up the night sky in Cumbria -
well thanks for that! ...snip...Graeme

If slightly OT - presumably the electricity, before the tubes arrived,
goes to waste, or do the tubes draw extra current?

Current theory has it that a charge build up is induced in the bulbs by
the interaction of the current through the wires and the earth through
the earth.
That's a worrying explanation - if it gets out the whole countryside will be lit for free under powerlines with suspended f-tubes - ugh!

Nytecam