Lights out in Iceland for view of night sky

Old October 3rd 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Tim Auton

Default Lights out in Iceland for view of night sky

Mike Dworetsky wrote:
"Billy No Mates" wrote in message
"TopBanana" wrote in message
What a brilliant idea.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060927/...iceland_lights

Except in this Counry (England) it would just be used by the scum to roam
the streets stabbing and shooting.

Neh. Muggers like to be able to see their victims. You can't easily shoot
someone if it's really dark.

When was the last time someone was shot during in a mugging in the UK?

Tim
Old October 3rd 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Billy No Mates

"TopBanana" wrote in message
What a brilliant idea.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060927/...iceland_lights

Except in this Counry (England) it would just be used by the scum to
roam
the streets stabbing and shooting.

Neh. Muggers like to be able to see their victims. You can't easily
shoot
someone if it's really dark.

When was the last time someone was shot during in a mugging in the UK?

Tim

Er well a quick look at the BBC news website looking for people shot by
buggers gave me a list of quite a few.

Old October 3rd 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Tim Auton

Billy No Mates wrote:
"Tim Auton" wrote in message
Mike Dworetsky wrote:

[snip]
Neh. Muggers like to be able to see their victims. You can't easily
shoot
someone if it's really dark.

When was the last time someone was shot during in a mugging in the UK?

Er well a quick look at the BBC news website looking for people shot by
buggers gave me a list of quite a few.

I hope 'buggers' was a typo, or you're changing the subject. I couldn't
find anything about any mugging victims being shot since 2002.

URL?

Tim
Old October 3rd 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Billy No Mates

"Tim Auton" wrote in message
Billy No Mates wrote:
"Tim Auton" wrote in message
Mike Dworetsky wrote:

[snip]
Neh. Muggers like to be able to see their victims. You can't easily
shoot
someone if it's really dark.

When was the last time someone was shot during in a mugging in the UK?

Er well a quick look at the BBC news website looking for people shot by
buggers gave me a list of quite a few.

I hope 'buggers' was a typo, or you're changing the subject. I couldn't
find anything about any mugging victims being shot since 2002.

URL?

Tim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/3656170.stm

I was also considering the numbers of stabbings as well. But what's your
point? You some leftie liberal or something who thinks we should hug a
mugger? I'd hug them with a grenade ties to their nuts.

Old October 3rd 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:03:13 +0100, in uk.sci.astronomy , "Mike
Dworetsky" wrote:

Crime is committed late at night more because other members of the public
will not be around to interfere or identify than because it can be done
under cover of darkness.

Actually, crime is committed late at night because thats when people
tend to be drunk enough to be stupid.

--
Mark McIntyre
Old October 3rd 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 22:34:29 +0100, in uk.sci.astronomy , "Billy No
Mates" wrote:

I was also considering the numbers of stabbings as well. But what's your
point?

The point would be that you've considerably more chance of being run
over gormlessly crossing the road while texting and we see little call
to ban mobile phone use while moving. So lets worry about actual real
issues, and not make up extra ones.
--
Mark McIntyre
Old October 3rd 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Tim Auton

Billy No Mates wrote:
"Tim Auton" wrote in message
Billy No Mates wrote:
"Tim Auton" wrote in message
Mike Dworetsky wrote:

[snip]
Neh. Muggers like to be able to see their victims. You can't easily
shoot
someone if it's really dark.

When was the last time someone was shot during in a mugging in the UK?

Er well a quick look at the BBC news website looking for people shot by
buggers gave me a list of quite a few.

I hope 'buggers' was a typo, or you're changing the subject. I couldn't
find anything about any mugging victims being shot since 2002.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/3656170.stm

I was also considering the numbers of stabbings as well. But what's your
point? You some leftie liberal or something who thinks we should hug a
mugger? I'd hug them with a grenade ties to their nuts.

My point is that you're being needlessly alarmist by ranting about
people being shot. It's exactly the kind of pointless, disproportionate
alarmism that would be likely to stop Iceland's experiment being
repeated here.

Tim
Old October 4th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Jonathan Silverlight[_1_]

In message , Mark McIntyre
writes
Mates" wrote:

I was also considering the numbers of stabbings as well. But what's your
point?

The point would be that you've considerably more chance of being run
over gormlessly crossing the road while texting and we see little call
to ban mobile phone use while moving.

That's an interesting choice of words.
Using a hand-held mobile phone is illegal, and has been shown to be more
dangerous than being drunk. But the penalties are derisory and incidence
is very high - IIRC, a paper in the British Medical Journal said it's
about 2% or all motorists and 8% of SUV drivers. Even bus drivers use
them. But as you only get a fine for killing someone while driving, what
do you expect?
Off topic rant over.
Old October 4th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 17:31:01 GMT, in uk.sci.astronomy , Jonathan
Silverlight wrote:

In message , Mark McIntyre
writes
Mates" wrote:

I was also considering the numbers of stabbings as well. But what's your
point?

The point would be that you've considerably more chance of being run
over gormlessly crossing the road while texting and we see little call
to ban mobile phone use while moving.

That's an interesting choice of words.
Using a hand-held mobile phone is illegal,

Que? I said /crossing/ the road, not driving while texting.

Trust me, I cycle in London and have daily morning meetings with
cretinous pedestrians who insist on texting, holding coffee cups and
walking into the road without looking. Most amusing.

--
Mark McIntyre
Old October 5th 06, 08:10 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Jonathan Silverlight[_1_]

In message , Mark McIntyre
writes
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 17:31:01 GMT, in uk.sci.astronomy , Jonathan
Silverlight wrote:

In message , Mark McIntyre
writes
Mates" wrote:

I was also considering the numbers of stabbings as well. But what's your
point?

The point would be that you've considerably more chance of being run
over gormlessly crossing the road while texting and we see little call
to ban mobile phone use while moving.

That's an interesting choice of words.
Using a hand-held mobile phone is illegal,

Que? I said /crossing/ the road, not driving while texting.

Trust me, I cycle in London and have daily morning meetings with
cretinous pedestrians who insist on texting, holding coffee cups and
walking into the road without looking. Most amusing.

I misunderstood you. As a pedestrian, I find cyclists riding at night in
their dark clothes without lights or reflectors equally annoying. But
even politicians should know that you can't legislate against stupidity!