The Non-Innovator's Dilemma

Old September 24th 03, 01:48 PM
Jon Berndt

Default The Non-Innovator's Dilemma: talk is cheap, innovation is hard.

"Tom Merkle" wrote in message

The problem with this column is that it rests on so many false
assumptions and strawmen that it makes GuthVenus look rational. Let's
start with your main point in the article:

There's another anti-OSP column this morning:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=870

There are as many views on this matter as there are people. Unfortunately,
there is one point that sticks out to me as being wrong in the above
mentioned column. That is, Don Peterson is against OSP because (among other
reasons) there is no new technology in it. I think that reason is one aspect
of why other projects have either failed to be completed or didn't end up
working as advertised. It would be an appropriate goal for an
experimental/research vehicle, but for a vehicle that is meant to become
pseudo-operational? I don't think so. Why develop something new and exotic
when there are already systems in place that would fulfill the requirements?
It would simply inflate costs.

Jon

Old September 24th 03, 02:45 PM
Len

(Tom Merkle) wrote in message om...
h (Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
http://www.techcentralstation.com/091903E.html
cheaper (although it may be *more* expensive, as your article

....snip...

Rand, what planet are you from? What is the agency doing that
frustrates the "pent-up demand for public space travel?" (Cue dodging
that direct question with a vague response that inverts the issue, to
something along the lines of 'not encouraging the private sector...
enough...')Let me preemptively ask you a follow-up: WHAT COULD NASA
ACTUALLY DO BETTER OR DIFFERENT THAT WOULD HELP PUBLIC SPACE TRAVEL?

Easy, get out of the space transportation business
that NACA would never have gotten into.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc. and Third Millennium Aerospace, Inc.
( http://www.tour2space.com )

....snip,,,

Tom Merkle

Old September 24th 03, 05:08 PM
Rand Simberg

On 24 Sep 2003 08:15:01 GMT, in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

WHAT COULD NASA
ACTUALLY DO BETTER OR DIFFERENT THAT WOULD HELP PUBLIC SPACE TRAVEL?

It could be a better customer, with more ambition for manned
spaceflight than sending a few government employees a year. It could
stop wasting billions on dead-end projects.

It would take too long to go into detail about how shaky the rest of
your 'generous' economic analysis of shuttle vs. OSP is, but
regardless of the exact numbers, it's based on two ENTIRELY false
assumptions--
1) that shuttle costs are fixed--obviously way wrong. Shuttle
operating costs have already been projected to rise drastically in the
coming years due to Post-Columbia changes and orbiter airframe aging.

Numbers?

2) that shuttle represents "sunk costs" that are essentially free,
while OSP will be starting from scratch. BS!

Of course not, and I didn't write that.

NASA knows this isn't
true, based on the billions it spends on overhauling and maintaining
the orbiters--that's right, all those people are paid for actually
doing something!

Who said they weren't?

Those Development costs for the shuttle cannot be
considered to be 'sunk,' since we have spent more than their
development cost maintaining them since their construction.

Those aren't development costs.

OSP is not starting from scratch, either.

Then that makes the projected development costs even more outrageous.

In fact, the whole idea of using commercial production model economics
on what is still an experimental government platform is pretty silly,
as is the notion of waiting for the eventual successor to X-prize
contestants to return man to orbital space. (Actually, that's not
silly, it's sad. That's burning your 1480 Portugese caravel while you
wait for the commercial development of an 1860 Yankee Clipper. It
might happen eventually--but you'll miss out on 400 years of
exploration in the meantime.)

An interesting analogy, but it's not at all clear that it's a useful
or appropriate one.

Is thinking that everyone else is wrong a sign of schizophrenia--or
merely arrogance?

"Everyone else"? I don't think that my opinion is unique. I don't
see any unanimity of support for OSP anywhere--in Congress, among the
public, even at NASA itself. That statement is exactly the kind of
arrogance to which I'm referring.

I quote:

"Much of NASA's "culture" problem is in fact a symptom rather than a cause --
a symptom of too many years of believing that all wisdom about things space
resides at the agency, a belief nurtured by an often fawning and ignorant
press and a political establishment that values pork over progress."

In this view, everyone else is stupid--NASA, a 'fawning and ignorant
press,' the political establishment.

I didn't say they were stupid. Another interesting strawman.

"It will require a much broader discussion of national space policy, far
beyond NASA's role.

Ultimately, only by addressing the true issues that hold us back in space,
and expanding and encouraging the role of the private sector to pursue the
dreams of individuals, rather than those of a monolithic space bureaucracy"

So it's NASA's job to encourage the private sector to pursue the
dreams of private individuals? Isn't that a little selfish? That's
using public funds to accomplish private ends.

It happens all the time.

Shouldn't our
'monolithic' public agencies accomplish public ends, for the public
good?

Creating a new space industry that allows affordable access to orbit
is a public good. NASA needs it, the DoD needs it, and it would
create vast new wealth.

In a free society, we generally leave the "dreams of
individuals" up to individuals in the private sector. Why do anything
different with regards to space?

You must be living in some other "free society" than I do. When I'm
no longer having to give up half of my income to support a welfare
state, I'll be happy to end NASA funding as well. In fact, I'd be
happy to end NASA funding for manned spaceflight right now, because
it's providing poor value for the money. But if we're going to be
spending billions of taxpayer dollars per year on manned spaceflight,
I'd like to see it actually make some serious progress. OSP doesn't
do that.

interglobal space lines * 307 733-1715 (Fax)
http://www.interglobal.org

Old September 24th 03, 05:09 PM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:48:17 CST, in a place far, far away, "Jon
Berndt" made the phosphor on my monitor glow

"Tom Merkle" wrote in message

The problem with this column is that it rests on so many false
assumptions and strawmen that it makes GuthVenus look rational. Let's
start with your main point in the article:

There's another anti-OSP column this morning:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=870

There are as many views on this matter as there are people. Unfortunately,
there is one point that sticks out to me as being wrong in the above
mentioned column. That is, Don Peterson is against OSP because (among other
reasons) there is no new technology in it.

Yes, that's about the only *good* thing about it, IMO.

Old September 24th 03, 09:05 PM
Pat Flannery

Jon Berndt wrote:

There's another anti-OSP column this morning:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=870

There are as many views on this matter as there are people. Unfortunately,
there is one point that sticks out to me as being wrong in the above
mentioned column. That is, Don Peterson is against OSP because (among other
reasons) there is no new technology in it. I think that reason is one aspect
of why other projects have either failed to be completed or didn't end up
working as advertised.

I noticed the same thing in the article; what exactly is the benefit of
a revolutionary new technology in regards to an operational as opposed
to experimental vehicle? If we want to get it done quickly and on a
budget then using proven technology that we have experience with would
seem to be the way to go. We have a classic example of the other
approach in the X-33 project; which broke one of the Skunk Work's
hard-learned lessons- never use more than one major new technology in
any new project. They had learned that the hard way with the CL-400's
liquid hydrogen fuel/hydrogen expander motors and the A-12's titanium
structure/turboramjet engines- major headaches ensued on both those
programs; but with X-33, they proposed to use new lightweight metallic
TPS tiles, the linear plug nozzle motor, and the composite hydrogen
tank...trying all three at once was asking for trouble; and that's just
what they got.
Occam's razor would suggest a ballistic capsule approach for OSP; as
that's the one that gives you the highest payload to orbit for vehicle
weight and therefore launch vehicle size. The aerodynamics of such a
design are very well understood in both the ascent and reentry regimens,
and such a vehicle can be built comparatively fast and cheap if we don't
start adding bells and whistles to the design. Further it's
comparatively small size and simplicity compared to the Shuttle would
greatly simplify maintenance and need reduced ground personnel numbers-
thereby lowering operating costs, while at the same time making the
transfer of safety concern information more efficient and timely, due to
the fewer total people involved.

Pat

Old September 25th 03, 04:34 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:27:50 CST, in a place far, far away, Sander
Vesik made the phosphor on my monitor

In sci.space.policy Rand Simberg wrote:
On 24 Sep 2003 08:15:01 GMT, in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

WHAT COULD NASA
ACTUALLY DO BETTER OR DIFFERENT THAT WOULD HELP PUBLIC SPACE TRAVEL?

It could be a better customer, with more ambition for manned
spaceflight than sending a few government employees a year. It could
stop wasting billions on dead-end projects.

And precicely whom would they be buying that service from? Unless you
can demonstrate that NASA would not make use of 3rd party cheap access
to space, this claim is without merrit.

I don't understand this comment.

Old September 25th 03, 05:50 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:28:13 CST, in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
On 24 Sep 2003 08:15:01 GMT, in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

WHAT COULD NASA
ACTUALLY DO BETTER OR DIFFERENT THAT WOULD HELP PUBLIC SPACE TRAVEL?

It could be a better customer, with more ambition for manned
spaceflight than sending a few government employees a year. It could
stop wasting billions on dead-end projects.

Personally I think sending more than a few government employees into
space a year should be funded by the private sector. The private
sector is likeliest to come up with the total system that works the
best and cheapest for a continuing space effort.

I agree.

Allowing a committee
at NASA to pick commercial 'winners' and 'losers' who get limited
contracts results in risk-averse, expensive approaches that are
unsustainable when separated from government funding.

Who proposed that?

My point is that the whole idea of "amortizing development costs" is
meaningless when development costs are so intertwined with operating
costs. The idea of a separate "development phase" followed by an
"operational phase" is one that is lifted from commercial industry and
fits only poorly with the actual situation of an experimental vehicle
that is still being tested every time it flies.

Regardless, the development costs are still largely behind Shuttle.
Cost of improvements are a different category.

Those Development costs for the shuttle cannot be
considered to be 'sunk,' since we have spent more than their
development cost maintaining them since their construction.

Those aren't development costs.

So? no matter what 'type' of cost you label it, it's in the budget and
it has to be spent to make the vehicle fly.

Yes, and that was included in the analysis.

OSP is not starting from scratch, either.

Then that makes the projected development costs even more outrageous.

which projections are you using? the favorable ones that say 3-4
billion, the unfavorable ones that say 6 billion, or your own that
says 9 billion?

The unfavorable ones that that say twelve or thirteen billion, which I
generously reduced, even though most NASA programs tend to cost more,
not less than originally estimated.

In fact, the whole idea of using commercial production model economics
on what is still an experimental government platform is pretty silly,
as is the notion of waiting for the eventual successor to X-prize
contestants to return man to orbital space. (Actually, that's not
silly, it's sad. That's burning your 1480 Portugese caravel while you
wait for the commercial development of an 1860 Yankee Clipper. It
might happen eventually--but you'll miss out on 400 years of
exploration in the meantime.)

An interesting analogy, but it's not at all clear that it's a useful
or appropriate one.

Actually it's a metaphor.

It looks like an analogy to me, but either way, I'm not sure that it's
useful or appropriate.

But in terms of better overall system design, expandibility, and
safety, OSP makes lots of progress and is a huge departure from the
one-vehicle-fits-all program NASA has been stuck using since the end
of Apollo. I for one expect much more progress towards exploration
beyond LEO once NASA is no longer wedded to the LEO-limited shuttle.

I suspect that you'll be disappointed.

Old September 25th 03, 06:28 PM
Tom Merkle

h (Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
On 24 Sep 2003 08:15:01 GMT, in a place far, far away,
(Tom Merkle) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

WHAT COULD NASA
ACTUALLY DO BETTER OR DIFFERENT THAT WOULD HELP PUBLIC SPACE TRAVEL?

It could be a better customer, with more ambition for manned
spaceflight than sending a few government employees a year. It could
stop wasting billions on dead-end projects.

Personally I think sending more than a few government employees into
space a year should be funded by the private sector. The private
sector is likeliest to come up with the total system that works the
best and cheapest for a continuing space effort. Allowing a committee
at NASA to pick commercial 'winners' and 'losers' who get limited
contracts results in risk-averse, expensive approaches that are
unsustainable when separated from government funding. Behold Boeing
and Lockmart. Keep NASA out of the business of picking commercial
winners and losers and have them focus on doing things the commercial
sector has no interest in doing currently, like doing research
enabling for a broader exploration program.

It would take too long to go into detail about how shaky the rest of
your 'generous' economic analysis of shuttle vs. OSP is, but
regardless of the exact numbers, it's based on two ENTIRELY false
assumptions--
1) that shuttle costs are fixed--obviously way wrong. Shuttle
operating costs have already been projected to rise drastically in the
coming years due to Post-Columbia changes and orbiter airframe aging.

Numbers?

I concede that NASA hasn't admitted numbers yet. The projections of
increasing cost have come from outsiders (journalists, members of
congress) who note that the new restrictions on launch windows will
further reduce flight rates, and that delays, missed opportunities due
to increasing corrective maintenance (due to component age), and
increased scrutiny on shuttle safety, are all bound to add cost to the
program no matter what NASA says right now.

2) that shuttle represents "sunk costs" that are essentially free,
while OSP will be starting from scratch. BS!

Of course not, and I didn't write that.

ok, so you object to the use of "free" in place of "unavoidable." But
that's essentially what you're saying.
you wrote three paragraphs emphasizing how expensive it's going to be
to amortize OSP costs up front and then contrasted that with :
"Note that we don't have to worry about amortizing Shuttle development
costs-
-they're already, in accounting terms, "sunk," and unavoidable,
whereas the development costs for OSP are entirely avoidable, given a
little fiscal sense.

[...]

You're right, OSP doesn't make serious progress towards lowering the
cost of space travel for the average citizen--which is good, because
that way it doesn't take away the profit motive from those who are
working on it.