Fate of Genesis bus

Old September 30th 04, 08:14 PM
Paolo Ulivi

Default Fate of Genesis bus

Hi all,
according to the Genesis launch press kit, the spacecraft bus was to be
ditched in the Pacific Ocean after releasing the capsule. However, I
have seen studies indicating that it could be diverted and its
scientific instruments (two particle monitors) re-used in an extended
mission either at L1, or switching between L1 and L2 or in heliocentric
orbit.
The Genesis landing press kit does not mention the ditching, an article
in AWST hints that the bus was to be diverted and I find that it is
still listed in the JPL's Ephemeris Generator. Does anybody know what
was its fate?
Paolo

Old October 1st 04, 02:32 AM
Alex R. Blackwell

Paolo Ulivi wrote:

The Genesis landing press kit does not mention the ditching, an article
in AWST hints that the bus was to be diverted and I find that it is
still listed in the JPL's Ephemeris Generator. Does anybody know what
was its fate?

After the sample return capsule was released, the Genesis spacecraft bus
remains in a loosely bound Earth orbit. And remember that Genesis
carries two onboard plasma spectrometers (i.e., in situ solar wind ion
and electron spectrometers).

Anticipating this, the Genesis team has proposed a mission extension,
dubbed "Exodus," to conduct joint solar wind studies with other L1
spacecraft. Exodus, if approved by NASA's Sun-Earth Connections Office,
would begin later this year and would involve redirecting the Genesis
spacecraft to a distant retrograde heliocentric orbit in which the
spacecraft would loiter for a considerable time at ~*0.025 AU upstream
and downstream of Earth (~*2.5x the Earth-L1 distance).

I wonder what wag came up with "Exodus"? Especially in today's political
climate. What would a second extension of the mission be called?
"Leviticus"? Having said that, however, I have to admit that, under the
Pentateuch order, a possible third and fourth extension could plausibly
be called, respectively, religous-neutral: "Numbers" [related somehow to
mathematics] and "Deuteronomy" [a merging of Deuterium and Aeronomy] ;-)

--

Alex R. Blackwell
University of Hawaii
Old October 1st 04, 12:56 PM
Antonin Vitek

"Alex R. Blackwell" wrote in message ...
Pentateuch order, a possible third and fourth extension could plausibly
be called, respectively, religous-neutral: "Numbers" [related somehow to
mathematics] and "Deuteronomy" [a merging of Deuterium and Aeronomy] ;-)

BTW, "Deuteronomy" or "Deuteronomium" is the title of one of the books
in "Old Testament"!
Old October 1st 04, 05:26 PM
Andrew Gray

["Followup-To:" header set to sci.space.history.]
On 2004-10-01, Antonin Vitek wrote:
"Alex R. Blackwell" wrote in message ...
Pentateuch order, a possible third and fourth extension could plausibly
be called, respectively, religous-neutral: "Numbers" [related somehow to
mathematics] and "Deuteronomy" [a merging of Deuterium and Aeronomy] ;-)

BTW, "Deuteronomy" or "Deuteronomium" is the title of one of the books
in "Old Testament"!

....the fifth book of the Pentateuch... after Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus
and Numbers...

Congratulations, you got some of the joke ;-)

--
-Andrew Gray

Old October 1st 04, 07:09 PM
Alex R. Blackwell

Andrew Gray wrote:

...the fifth book of the Pentateuch... after Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus
and Numbers...

Congratulations, you got some of the joke ;-)

Just to be clear, though, it wasn't a total joke. "Exodus" is the
actual name of the proposed Genesis mission extension.

--

Alex R. Blackwell
University of Hawaii
Old October 1st 04, 09:39 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Alex R. Blackwell
writes
Andrew Gray wrote:

...the fifth book of the Pentateuch... after Genesis, Exodus,
Leviticus and Numbers...
Congratulations, you got some of the joke ;-)

Just to be clear, though, it wasn't a total joke. "Exodus" is the
actual name of the proposed Genesis mission extension.

I suppose jokes about broken tablets would be in bad taste. Oh well,
I've done it now.
Old October 2nd 04, 02:18 AM
Neil Gerace

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...

I suppose jokes about broken tablets would be in bad taste. Oh well, I've
done it now.

"Who is this *really*?"
-- Bill Cosby as Noah

Old October 2nd 04, 04:09 AM
Rusty Barton

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 09:18:31 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...

I suppose jokes about broken tablets would be in bad taste. Oh well, I've
done it now.

"Who is this *really*?"
-- Bill Cosby as Noah

It's a combination of "Space Balls" and "Wholly Moses!";

"I bring you God's 15 ****CRASH**** I mean 10 Commandments!"

;-)

Rusty Barton

Old October 2nd 04, 05:51 AM
OM

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 20:09:54 -0700, Rusty Barton
wrote:

"I bring you God's 15 ****CRASH**** I mean 10 Commandments!"

....This, and two other scenes stick out the most in everyone's minds
regarding this film:

1) The 15...er...10 Commandments.

2) The scene in Rome, where the brother is walking through the white
crowd in even whiter togas, and he's carrying a ghetto blaster playing
"Funkytown".

3) "The Inquisition! Let's begin!"

....It's this latter one that Mel Brooks will be remembered for even
more than "Springtime for Hitler", natch.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr

Genesis mission not a bust after all! guid0 Amateur Astronomy 2 October 2nd 04 02:32 AM
Fate of Genesis bus Paolo Ulivi Policy 4 October 1st 04 05:26 PM
Genesis Crash - Problem uncovered in '01??? Ted A. Nichols II Amateur Astronomy 0 September 8th 04 10:30 PM
NASA to capture fiery Genesis re-entry with 'eyes in the sky' (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 September 5th 04 07:02 PM
NASA Genesis Spacecraft on Final Lap Toward Home Ron Astronomy Misc 0 May 6th 04 01:39 AM