Terraforming Venus

Old September 4th 04, 01:31 PM
Andromeda et Julie

Default Terraforming Venus

Gene P. a écrit :
I was thiking about terraforming Mars, and how most such schemes call for
big solar mirrors to heat the surface a bit.

well for Mars , the first thing to do, I think , is to keep the heat
from the sun better than bringing more radiation power

greenhouse gas could be produced and maybe much more efficient to raise
planet temperature ... I think this is something realistic

think that the "sky temperature" above atmosphere is about 3K (-270C)
so shielding a bit to prevent radiation losses would probably give good
results within decades or centuries

mirrors may be useful to light or heat spot areas.

I think I read about 'today s project' to use mirrors to replace night
street lights and so... it would use inflatable reflective structures
and beam light localy ...

it would be like a few full moons together .. would not prevent you
from freezing on a parking lot , on a winter night ..

Venus has the reverse problem... WAY too hot. How much sunlight would
have to be blocked to break the greenhouse loop and reduce temperatures
into the earthlike range?

don t remember well , but I think anything conceivable to change Venus
meteo is a matter of thousands/millions years , so Venus ...

Old September 4th 04, 03:28 PM
Herman Rubin

Gene P. wrote:

I was thiking about terraforming Mars, and how most such schemes call for
big solar mirrors to heat the surface a bit.

Venus has the reverse problem... WAY too hot. How much sunlight would
have to be blocked to break the greenhouse loop and reduce temperatures
into the earthlike range?

This is far from the only problem. We would also have to get
rid of a huge portion of the atmosphere, most of which will not
condense out even at Martian temperatures.

Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
Old November 22nd 04, 01:28 AM
Logan Kearsley

Venus has the reverse problem... WAY too hot. How much sunlight would
have to be blocked to break the greenhouse loop and reduce temperatures
into the earthlike range?

don t remember well , but I think anything conceivable to change Venus
meteo is a matter of thousands/millions years , so Venus ...

According to http://www.paulbirch.net/TerraformingVenusQuickly.zip, you can
do it a matter of decades.

-l.
My inbox is a sacred shrine, none shall enter that are not worthy.