OT and Personal

Old July 12th 03, 06:46 PM
Terrell Miller

Default OT and Personal

"John Beaderstadt" wrote in message

far, the only call has been from the Republican National Committee,
performing some sort of poll; the pollster didn't want to hang up,
even when we told him why we were keeping the line free (this may be
worth a quick note to the news media).

Telemarketers are specifically trained to keep you talking as long as
possible (makes it harder to say no) and to steer you away from being able
to politely say things like "no thanks" or "I'm not interested". They will
shamelessly exploit people's reluctance to be rude.

**** 'em, as soon as you can get a word in edgewise, just say "thanks, not
interested" and hang up in their face. Who gives a damn whether their
feelings get hurt?

Will keep your son in our prayers, and when you get a chance pass along the
fact that we're all VERY proud of him and his buddies!

--
Terrell Miller

"We pay for love, but the hate comes free"
-Gordon Sumner

Old July 12th 03, 08:31 PM
John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" on Sat, 12 Jul 2003
18:12:54 GMT, which said:

Actually in NY, some other states and now east of the Mississippi, you can
get on "Do Not Call Lists."

We've been on Vermont's Don't Call list for three-four years.
Unfortunately, they don't apply to politicians or businesses with whom
you've had recent transactions, or a few other categories.

---------------
Beady's Corollary to Occam's Razor: "The likeliest explanation of any phenomenon is almost always the most boring."
Old July 12th 03, 08:32 PM
John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
"Terrell Miller" on Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:46:34
-0400, which said:

Will keep your son in our prayers, and when you get a chance pass along the
fact that we're all VERY proud of him and his buddies!

Will do, and thanks.

---------------
Beady's Corollary to Occam's Razor: "The likeliest explanation of any phenomenon is almost always the most boring."
Old July 12th 03, 08:45 PM
John Beaderstadt

I was reading in the bathroom when I ran across an item written by
"John Whisenhunt" on Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:44:43
-0500, which said:

I have some use for prayer: your son will receive an input from this sector.

Thanks.

As one who has been over there a couple of times, I emphathize with your
worries. Despite the current media portrayal of what is of course a tough
mission, he is well-prepared, and has good leaders looking after him.

Oh, I know. I've met a few of them.

A big
roger on the baby wipes and beef jerky - worth their weight in precious
metal.

We figure to be sending a package per week.

Now, if only the signal to noise ratio in this group would readjust a bit,
you might find some solace in a space history discussion...

Actually, it's not bad. See my "Gilgamesh" posts. This session,
there were supposedly 52 posts to ssh, and NewsProxy took out the
following before they got to me (several others, I assume, were
deleted by Agent's filters). Notice all the anonymous remailers that
I don't have to deal with (btw, all of these were taken out by my 3+
crossposting rule, which is what the "1" refers to):

1 sci.space.history
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history
1 sci.space.history
o.com
1 sci.space.history
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history JlWPa.3685$zy.247@fed1read06
1 sci.space.history dpWPa.3710$zy.821@fed1read06
1 sci.space.history
lsWPa.3734$zy.2776@fed1read06
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history
GLWPa.3869$zy.2694@fed1read06
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history yPWPa.3895$zy.324@fed1read06
1 sci.space.history
1 sci.space.history
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history
o.com
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history
o.com
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history
o.com
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history
1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

1 sci.space.history

---------------
Beady's Corollary to Occam's Razor: "The likeliest explanation of any phenomenon is almost always the most boring."
Old July 12th 03, 09:46 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

18:12:54 GMT, which said:

Actually in NY, some other states and now east of the Mississippi, you

can
get on "Do Not Call Lists."

We've been on Vermont's Don't Call list for three-four years.
Unfortunately, they don't apply to politicians or businesses with whom
you've had recent transactions, or a few other categories.

Yeah, well there is that. :-)

The best fun I ever had with a telesales person was when the local newspaper
called up. I HAD been planning on subscribing, so as soon as they
identified themselves I said, "Yes, I want to subscribe." You could almost
literally hear her in the background flipping her chart to figure out what
to do with a callee that WANTED the call. :-)

---------------

Old July 12th 03, 10:06 PM
Scott Lowther

Terrell Miller wrote:

Telemarketers are specifically trained to keep you talking as long as
possible (makes it harder to say no) and to steer you away from being able
to politely say things like "no thanks" or "I'm not interested". They will
shamelessly exploit people's reluctance to be rude.

**** 'em, as soon as you can get a word in edgewise, just say "thanks, not
interested" and hang up in their face.

Well, that's no fun. Berate them. Point out that since this is the best
job they coudl get, clearly they are poor excuses for humanity. That
sort of thing.

That, and just setting the phone down and walking away. Or even
better... let 'em go through their whole spiel, with you going "uh-huh"
for as long as possible... take up as much of their time as you can.

Best of all: try to sell THEM something. Ronco turnip twadlers, or some
such.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer

"Any statement by Edward Wright that starts with 'You seem to think
that...' is wrong. Always. It's a law of Usenet, like Godwin's."
- Jorge R. Frank, 11 Nov 2002
Old July 12th 03, 11:01 PM
Mike Speegle

In news:Greg D. Moore (Strider) typed:

The best fun I ever had with a telesales person was when the local
newspaper called up. I HAD been planning on subscribing, so as soon
as they identified themselves I said, "Yes, I want to subscribe."
You could almost literally hear her in the background flipping her
chart to figure out what to do with a callee that WANTED the call. :-)

One *great* trick I learned is to say "Wait, uh, can you excuse me,
there's someone at the door. Hold on." And set the phone down. IQ's
are then inversely proportional to the amount of time before the phone
starts squealing at you. I've gone 5 minutes on 2 occasions. tee hee
--
Mike
"Colorado Ski Country, USA" Come often, Ski hard,

Old July 12th 03, 11:56 PM
Dave Kenworthy

"Scott Lowther" wrote in message

That, and just setting the phone down and walking away. Or even
better... let 'em go through their whole spiel, with you going "uh-huh"
for as long as possible... take up as much of their time as you can.

Best of all: try to sell THEM something. Ronco turnip twadlers, or some
such.

A friend of mine has a nice routine - the exchange would be along the lines
of:

"Yes, I'm very interested indeed in your product, but I've just got home
from work. What time do you work 'til tonight?"

"I'm here until 10pm Mr Smith"

"Fine - I'll give you time to get home, relax, grab something to eat...how
about I call you at about midnight...what's your home number?"

--
Dave Kenworthy
-----------------------------

Old July 13th 03, 01:16 AM
Thad Floryan

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message ...
[...]
Telemarketers are specifically trained to keep you talking as long as
possible (makes it harder to say no) and to steer you away from being able
to politely say things like "no thanks" or "I'm not interested". They will
shamelessly exploit people's reluctance to be rude.

**** 'em, as soon as you can get a word in edgewise, just say "thanks, not
interested" and hang up in their face. Who gives a damn whether their
feelings get hurt?

True, but why waste time with them at all? For some nominal monthly fee
one can subscribe to Caller ID service. If you ever see "No data" or see
"No Name; No Number" (contrasted to ID Blocked) you know it's a telemarketer
spammer on a CT1 (Channelized T1) so you just pick the phone up and replace
it back in its cradle.

What I did back in 1998 is a bit more sophisticated using a $70 CID device
which interfaces to a computer. Long story short, the phone never EVER rings
at home if it's a telemarketer spammer who's immediately sent to answering
machine (and, of course, never leaves a message). Over 5,000+ such calls
(since 1998) and I've never even aware they've called (unless I peruse the
computer records as I just did :-)
Old July 13th 03, 01:18 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Thad Floryan" wrote in message
om...

What I did back in 1998 is a bit more sophisticated using a $70 CID device
which interfaces to a computer. Long story short, the phone never EVER

rings
at home if it's a telemarketer spammer who's immediately sent to answering
machine (and, of course, never leaves a message). Over 5,000+ such calls
(since 1998) and I've never even aware they've called (unless I peruse the
computer records as I just did :-)

5,000? That's what, about 3 a day?

I guess I don't worry to much about telemarketers since we never got nearly
that many. Not even before the NYS Do Not Call list.

Wow.