Moon landings back then and views in telescope

Old November 14th 03, 12:09 AM
John

Default Moon landings back then and views in telescope

I am wondering...we went to the moon some time ago.
I know that no telescope on earth can see the landers we left there.
At that "older" time, could anyone with a telescope actually "see" the ship,
say, pehaps half way out there or so?
Or, maybe half way (or so) back from the moon?
I know the telescope technology was poor back then, would we be able to see
new ships out in space, on the way to their destination, with any "new"
scope?
John

Old November 14th 03, 12:19 AM
Jay Windley

"John" wrote in message

| I know the telescope technology was poor back then, would
| we be able to see new ships out in space, on the way to their
| destination, with any "new" scope?

For their brief sojourns in earth orbit, the Apollo spacecraft was visible
to the naked eye. Inhabitants of Australia were treated to the TLI burn.
Several telescope photographs exist of Apollo spacecraft enroute -- not that
they are recognizable as such, but there's a bright moving dot. In the case
of Apollo 13 it became a bright moving dot surrounded by a cloud of oxygen.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

Old November 14th 03, 05:35 AM
David Knisely

Hi there. You posted:

At that "older" time, could anyone with a telescope actually "see" the ship,
say, pehaps half way out there or so?
Or, maybe half way (or so) back from the moon?

Yes, some amateurs with larger telescopes did manage to follow the Apollo
spacecraft out to around 2/3rds of the way from the Earth to the moon. I
recall watching one tape of a flight which used an image intensifier on the
telescope coupled to a TV camera. It showed the slowly moving faint dot of
the spacecraft along with occasional "flashes" from the slowly tumbling SLA
panels which were jettisoned earlier in the flight. A friend of mine was
watching Apollo 13 with his 10 inch Newtonian when he noticed a cloud
developing around it. A little later at an Astronomy Club meeting, he found
out that this was the venting from the liquid oxygen tank which had ruptured,
preventing a moon landing attempt and putting the astronauts' lives in
jeopardy. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old November 14th 03, 11:25 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On 14 Nov 2003 01:14:26 GMT, Fred Garvin wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:09:15 -0500, John wrote:

I am wondering...we went to the moon some time ago. I know that no
telescope on earth can see the landers we left there. At that "older"
time, could anyone with a telescope actually "see" the ship, say, pehaps
half way out there or so? Or, maybe half way (or so) back from the moon?

No, at least you couldn't recognize it as a ship. There is a photo out
there somewhere of Apollo 13 seen as a dot with debris cloud however.
Perhaps a google search will find it. I have a copy but have no idea where
I stored it.

I know the telescope technology was poor back then, would we be able to
see new ships out in space, on the way to their destination, with any
"new" scope?

In the forseeable future I'd say no. At least you wouldn't be able to
tell the ship's shape in any case. Telescopes and optics have come far but
not far enough yet.

If they build the OWL (Overwhelmingly Large Telescope), would that
suffice?

http://www.eso.org/projects/owl/

Knowing full well that all the kooks would *STILL* say it's
faked.........................

BTW, I want one. I can supply the land, if someone will build me the
scope :-))

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
Old November 15th 03, 12:20 AM
Ugo

Wally AngleseaT wrote:
If they build the OWL (Overwhelmingly Large Telescope), would that
suffice?

http://www.eso.org/projects/owl/

Wow, I didn't know they're contemplating such a large one! Anyway, they say
it should theoretically be able to achieve a milliarc second resolution
(ignoring the atmospheric turbulence). The Apollo 3rd stage was about 17
meters long, while orbiting the Moon it would present an image about 9
pixels across (unless I'm waaay off in my calculation ... :-), so it *would*
be quite possible to image it, especially when nearer to Earth.

--
The butler did it.