super massive black hole

Old November 7th 03, 02:03 AM

Default super massive black hole

is it true that every galaxy has one?
Old November 7th 03, 02:40 AM
Greg Neill

wrote in message
om...
is it true that every galaxy has one?

It does not appear to be so.

Old November 7th 03, 02:40 AM
Greg Neill

wrote in message
om...
is it true that every galaxy has one?

It does not appear to be so.

Old November 7th 03, 02:45 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

) wrote in
om:

is it true that every galaxy has one?

Certainly appears to be a common feature of medium to large
size galaxies. Not sure about the dwarf galaxies.

L.

Old November 8th 03, 12:56 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Some of the books I read have blackholes were formed before stars(right
out of the big bang) Never read of any blackhole"s decaying. If I was
told there are blackholes with the mass of 300 million suns I would not
be amazed. I would add this thought. If it was spinning close to light
speed it would be natures most unmovible object(like a gyro) Bert

Old November 8th 03, 02:42 AM
OG

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Some of the books I read have blackholes were formed before stars(right
out of the big bang) Never read of any blackhole"s decaying. If I was
told there are blackholes with the mass of 300 million suns I would not
be amazed. I would add this thought. If it was spinning close to light
speed it would be natures most unmovible object(like a gyro) Bert

Hawking says that small BHs do tend to 'decay'.

Near the event horizon virtual, antiparticle/particle pairs are produced, of
which one goes into the BH. Hawking realised that the smaller the BH, the
greater the likelihood that one half of a pair would be absorbed (it's all
to do with the curvature of spacetime near to the event horizon of large &
small BH's). However, whether a particle or an anti-particle was absorbed,
Hawking seems to have shown that there has been an energy loss inside the
BH - hence its mass decreased.

Since this occurs slowly for medium size BBs, and faster for smaller BBs, it
seems to be that BBs will gain virtual mass (i.e. lose real mass) as time
goes by, and the rate of mass loss will increase with time; ending with a
burst of gamma radiation (or something)

Hawking's analysis showed that if planet sized BHs had been created at the
BB stage, then they would be bursting into nearby gamma ray explosions just
about now.

However, AFAIK there's NO evidence that there are any nearby local BHs
evaporating into bursts of gamma radiation.