Picture of Earth from Mars

Old July 20th 03, 06:52 PM
Jornada

Default Picture of Earth from Mars

Hi,
I came across a pic of Earth taken from a Mars Orbiter some months back and
was intrigue by the image.
With Mars and Earth now getting very close, does anyone know if an updated
pic exists and where I can see it ?
Thanks
--
If replying directly, please delete "abc" from e-mail address.
Thanks

Old July 20th 03, 06:59 PM
Jornada

Opps. Apologies. I found it on www.space.com after doing a search on
yahoo.com
It struck me that Earth's position would mean that the crescent would only
be getting smaller and not bigger, so we will not be able to see earth as a
disk at all from Mars unless we have a space probe around Venus doing
that....

Old July 21st 03, 07:50 AM
Paul Schlyter

In article ,
Jornada wrote:

Hi,
I came across a pic of Earth taken from a Mars Orbiter some months
back and was intrigue by the image.
With Mars and Earth now getting very close, does anyone know if
an updated pic exists and where I can see it ?

As a matter of fact, there already are a large number of satellites
in orbit around Earth, and a number of them take pictures of the
Earth regularly. They are much much closer to Earth than Mars ever
will get, and will thus show much finer detail on Earth than any
picture taken from Mars will. Consider for instance all those
weather satellites in geostationary orbit.....

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/
Old July 21st 03, 03:56 PM
Phil Wheeler

Paul Schlyter wrote:
In article ,
Jornada wrote:

Hi,
I came across a pic of Earth taken from a Mars Orbiter some months
back and was intrigue by the image.
With Mars and Earth now getting very close, does anyone know if
an updated pic exists and where I can see it ?

As a matter of fact, there already are a large number of satellites
in orbit around Earth, and a number of them take pictures of the
Earth regularly. They are much much closer to Earth than Mars ever
will get, and will thus show much finer detail on Earth than any
picture taken from Mars will. Consider for instance all those
weather satellites in geostationary orbit.....

Maybe he wants a shot of Earth with the Moon in the image, and the Sun,
too, perhaps

Phil

Old July 21st 03, 06:06 PM
Jornada

Thanks all.
Actually what I'm fascinated about is a pic of Earth taken from another
planet. Here we are, looking at Jupiter, Saturn, Mars through our scopes but
supposing our Earth has a twin elsewhere, how would it looked way out in
space? From the pics I saw on space.com, it would likely be a very beautiful
deep bluish disk, much more spectacular than perhaps light blue Neptune...
cool...

--
If replying directly, please delete "abc" from e-mail address.
Thanks
"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message

Old July 22nd 03, 10:12 AM
Paul Schlyter

In article ,
Phil Wheeler wrote:

Maybe he wants a shot of Earth with the Moon in the image, and the
Sun, too, perhaps

The only possible way to get that would be to photograph a transit
of the Earth+Moon across the solar disk. As seen from Mars, the
last time that happened was in 1984, and the next time will be in
2084 (if I remember correctly).

Old July 22nd 03, 10:13 AM
Paul Schlyter

In article ,
Jornada wrote:

Thanks all.
Actually what I'm fascinated about is a pic of Earth taken from another
planet. Here we are, looking at Jupiter, Saturn, Mars through our scopes but
supposing our Earth has a twin elsewhere, how would it looked way out in
space? From the pics I saw on space.com, it would likely be a very beautiful
deep bluish disk, much more spectacular than perhaps light blue Neptune...
cool...

Indeed true.....

I shared your fascination when I saw these pictures of the Earth+Moon
taken from Mars. And the most fascinating picture was the one where
Jupiter also appeared in the same image.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:48 PM
Victor

Jornada wrote:
supposing our Earth has a twin elsewhere, how would it looked way out in
space? From the pics I saw on space.com, it would likely be a very beautiful
deep bluish disk, much more spectacular than perhaps light blue Neptune...
cool...

Try to find the 'Pale Blue Dot' image taken by one of the Voyager
spacecraft from way out. It should be on the Planetary Society website

www.planetary.org

PS : I hope a lot of you guys are members of the Planetary Society too!
They do great stuff and can do with our subs.

Old July 22nd 03, 05:08 PM
caz

"Victor" wrote in message

Try to find the 'Pale Blue Dot' image taken by one of the Voyager
spacecraft from way out. It should be on the Planetary Society website

http://www.lapie.com/

caz

Old July 22nd 03, 06:34 PM
Jornada

As I indicated earlier, as Mars and Earth close the gap, Earth would appear
as a thinning (waning) crescent viewed from Mars...not a very spectacular
image. I'm thinking if we had taken the photo from Venus, chances are we can
get almost a "full earth" image instead. Any probe in Venus orbit capable of
taking such a photo...I wonder...