The Big Space Station

Old July 8th 03, 09:06 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default The Big Space Station

BV It is in the 4th of July post. Read it. and post it. Glad I wrote it
a day earlier." Robot " clearly typed Bert This is the **** I
have to take. PPS Is anyone aboard the space station?

Old July 8th 03, 10:30 PM
David Knisely

Bert posted:

David Read my July 5th post." Robot space station: Never once
mentioned astronauts Jupiter is to far. Astronauts are very brave,but
they are not stupid. Do you think they would ride those Rube Goldberg
shuttles that were made to be reusable.and ended up as more expensive
and a killer. Bert PS Think before you jump(if possible)

Why don't you think before you type? I went over to Google to look at
all your postings on this subject. Your July 5th posting reads:

I know it will never be done,but its an idea that I like. NASA has to
scrape those old shuttles,so lets attach them to the space station,and
use them to push the space station to Jupiter. their pay load just has
to be extra fuel. It is better than putting them on display,for they
have a sad history,and beside the awesome Saturn V they look Micky
Mouse. Bert

Not one word in that posting says "robot" either! I see from looking at
Google again that you posted something on July 4th which had the word in
it, but not on July 5th. In either case, I didn't see your July 4th
posting (not all Usenet postings will show up on all servers), so I was
*not* commenting on it or your posting of July 5th, but the one on the
6th. The ISS has astronauts on board right now, and there is no point
in having the station if there isn't someone on board. Moving this
station to Jupiter would have no point to it, because unless there are
people on it, there is still no point in having it. If you put people
on the station in orbit around Jupiter to study it, you will kill them.
You seem to be consistently missing this fact. Why is that Bert?

--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *
Old July 9th 03, 12:56 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

David Sorry you use your computer as being two days late.I think you
jump two days ahead of time. You just can't wait to bring my thoughts
down,because you have no thoughts of your own. David you just don't get
it. Sorry if you are jealous. Tell us the exact number of moons Jupiter
has. Be a parrot all your life. Bert

Old July 9th 03, 02:10 AM
David, Kelly & Caleb

are you two married???
i have just read all this post to here and i was just wondering......
but by not voicing our own opinions we go stale.
so keep it up and i will continue reading
thanks .......so far
dave
"David Knisely" wrote in message
You posted:

To be fair to Bert, his July 4th post did include the word robot. It's a
remarkably silly idea, but the word was there.

No, to be "fair", you need to understand that I was *not* referring to
his July 4th posting (which *didn't* appear on my server), but to the
one on *July 6th*. Bert's statement on that date did not include the
word "robot". His statments on July 6th imply moving the ISS to Jupiter
(presumably manned), and he deserves the criticism which he got. His
July 4th statment does now show up on Google, but people need to
understand that many ISPs don't get all the postings which are
submitted, so not all the posts to a thread will show up for everyone
who is reading alt.astronomy on their servers. Clear skies to
you.

Old July 9th 03, 02:37 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
BV It is in the 4th of July post. Read it. and post it. Glad I wrote it
a day earlier." Robot " clearly typed Bert This is the **** I
have to take. PPS Is anyone aboard the space station?

Oh Bert...I am sure this "****" has nothing to do with your daily drivel.

BV.

Old July 9th 03, 03:32 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

BV If you find my thoughts "drivel" Please don't read my posts. Don't
need your ****. You go your way and I'll go my way. You don't have the
brain of my late cockroach Big Moe. Get lost Bert

Old July 9th 03, 06:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Hi Andrew I would think they would track the shuttle with a telescope.
How about two small TV cameras that show the conditions of the shuttles
tiles(always coming off) My big question to NASA engineers(worlds
worse) is would not the wing and and the styrofoam be moving in the same
direction,and at the same speed,just before the styrofoam came off. True
the friction of air would have slowed it down(not by to much) The curve
of the wing would have come up to the slower moving styrofoam,and that
would be its force of impact. If like BV said it was a glancing
blow(just under the wing,than the force of impact would be much less.
This is good physics,and most of it comes under relative motion. NASA
could not do this realistic experiment to get at the truth. The best bet
is tiles came of the leading curved part of the wing(gets the most
friction) and the wing burned off. What makes this a good bet is after
every flight the shuttles had tiles that came off. Bert

On space.com they had an article that covered what they expect the shuttle
investigation board (sorry, can't remember the acronym right no) to say in
their final report. A few of the items refer to ensuring all land based
cameras are operational (one was not working the day of the launch), adding
chase planes for observations, and using spy sats for constant observation
of all missions. They also suggested all missions will be trained and
prepared for emergency repairs if need be.

They also cover how the shuttle teams have grown complacent when it comes to
tiles coming loose. I don't think anyone would argue with that. Constant
tile loss should not be acceptable, and unfortunately we now learned the
hardway, how important of an issue that is.

As for the foam...If I remember/understand correctly, at the time the foam
came off, the shuttle was near Mach 5 and accelerating. Surely, a solid
object that is no longer accelerating striking an object that is
accelerating, will do lots of damage. It's the old M * A = F problem. Ask
any rock climber that has taken a whipper, 10-15 feet is plenty of time for
a human to accelerate to pant-wetting speeds. Now imagine that foam at Mach
5.

I don't want to bash NASA as I think they do a great job considering the
political climit they must operate in, but I don't understand how the
falling foam and tile loss became so exceptable. *sigh*

BV.

Old July 9th 03, 06:11 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
BV If you find my thoughts "drivel" Please don't read my posts. Don't
need your ****. You go your way and I'll go my way. You don't have the
brain of my late cockroach Big Moe. Get lost Bert

Bert...I love your posts when 1) Each new idea is put in a new thread and 2)
when your ideas propose concepts that rouse discussion. When you post things
like David is an idiot because he reads books and believes water exists on
Mars, I consider it drivel. I have said it before, and I will say it again,
you would have less **** dumped on you, if you didn't carry yourself in such
a poor manner on a regular basis. If you look back at my posts, I have
actively engaged your posts with interest when we stay on topic.

Furthmore, I don't think I have ever resorted to calling you names, nor have
I attacked your breadth of knowledge. In fact I have provided ample
opportunity in our disagreements for you to pose your credentials and
supporting materials for your ideas, at which point you typically resort to
name calling or personal attacks.

I may not have Moe's brain, but I am open to read/discuss and learn in order
to some day be as smart as your octupus. I'd appreciate it if you could
engage this group with the same interest.

BV.

Old July 9th 03, 08:07 PM
David Knisely

Bert posted:

Sorry you use your computer as being two days late.

(Sigh..) Bert, do you know what a "server" is? It is not "my"
computer. It is a large distant computer with a huge storage capacity
which an Internet Service Provider uses to "serve" its customers. Bert,
do you know how USENET works? It exists over hundreds of servers *all
over the world* and not on just one computer. Its postings go all over
and not all of them get to all servers (even the one you are now using
(webtv). Postings also do not always stay on a server for a long period
of time. Thus, not everyone sees all the postings which get sent into
USENET for alt.astronomy. Google comes fairly close, but even it misses
a few (and it doesn't get the most recent postings up as fast as many
local servers do).

You just can't wait to bring my thoughts
down,because you have no thoughts of your own. David you just don't get
it. Sorry if you are jealous.

Its not jealousy. You put up many things which you claim are facts, but
which are often distorted or just plain wrong. Despite the resources
available on the Internet or your public library, you don't seem to even
try to find out the true facts. Bert, you are the one who just doesn't
seem to "get it". If you put up something which is wrong, you are going
to get challenged on it.

Tell us the exact number of moons Jupiter has.

Go look it up for yourself Bert! Here is a place to start:

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...icle_827_1.asp

Be a parrot all your life.

Back to the childish insults again I see (sigh...).

Old July 9th 03, 10:28 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

David I put things up as thoughts of my own(ideas) I never called them
facts. i never said this is a fact(don't like that terminology)
I have said this is my theory. With out a brain you come to wrong
conclusions. You use these wrong conclusions to bring me down. Those
that read your negative responses to my posts know exactly what I am
talking about. David "get a life" Think on your own. My wife asked me
what I want for my birthday I told her a parrot,and I'll call it "David
" Bert