The Big Space Station

Old July 7th 03, 03:37 PM
BenignVanilla

Default The Big Space Station

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
David If you go back and read my post you will find I said "robot
space station" Never wanted astronauts going to Jupiter. Its to long a
trip. You are so intent to find fault with what I post that
you jump before you read what I'm saying. Bert

Uh...

"I know it will never be done,but its an idea that I like. NASA has to
scrape those old shuttles,so lets attach them to the space station,and
use them to push the space station to Jupiter. their pay load just has
to be extra fuel. It is better than putting them on display,for they
have a sad history,and beside the awesome Saturn V they look Micky
Mouse. Bert"

BV.

Old July 7th 03, 04:56 PM
Starlord

My position is that I'm not altogether convinced that we had the
technology back in the late 60's to make it happen

Not only did we HAVE the technology (we've not advanced that far even now), but
we DID go and anyone who even THINKS we didn't should take a Long Walk off a
Short Pier.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

---

Old July 7th 03, 07:19 PM
Andrew McKay

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:37:34 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

"I know it will never be done,but its an idea that I like. NASA has to
scrape those old shuttles,so lets attach them to the space station,and
use them to push the space station to Jupiter. their pay load just has
to be extra fuel. It is better than putting them on display,for they
have a sad history,and beside the awesome Saturn V they look Micky
Mouse. Bert"

I'm sure there will be lots of reasons why this wouldn't work, however
as I'm not familiar with the design of the meccano set we are talking
about nor qualified to make that assessment I'll take the attitude
that it isn't a possible option.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Old July 7th 03, 07:52 PM
David Knisely

Bert posted:

If you go back and read my post you will find I said "robot
space station"

No YOU read YOUR OWN POSTING!!! You posted:

Hi Eddie The public lost interest in the Rube Goldberg shuttle because
it went round and round. They lost interest in the space station the day
it was completed,for it goes round and round. We the public like to go
places,and explore. We have seen the surface of Venus,and Mars,and can
save the pictures. Having the space station orbiting Jupiter
would be a great accomplishment. I think 3 of its moons are more
interesting than Jupiter,or any other objects in our solar system.
I know the space station would still have all of its inertia,but it is
in orbit already. Would like to hear from an engineer if the shuttles
can be used as tug boats in space.

Not one word of this is "robot". You clearly are criticizing the ISS,
for that is the ONLY space station currently in orbit around the Earth.
Even in your earlier posting (which I am not referering to at all), you
did not clearly state that the station was to be unmanned. Moving ISS
to Jupiter is incredibly stupid, not to mention being incredibly
expensive. The station is designed to support a HUMAN presence in space
and not to act as a deep-space research platform (why in the world do
you think that there are all those pressurized modules on it?). There
is no logical reason to do this, as small dedicated probes could do
observations of Jupiter and its moons at a vastly lower cost. Now, for
once in your life, PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *
Old July 8th 03, 12:48 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

David Read my July 5th post." Robot space station: Never once
mentioned astronauts Jupiter is to far. Astronauts are very brave,but
they are not stupid. Do you think they would ride those Rube Goldberg
shuttles that were made to be reusable.and ended up as more expensive
and a killer. Bert PS Think before you jump(if possible)

Old July 8th 03, 11:38 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Eddie NASA is 100% political.It runs on government money. In the
past 3 years we have gone many trillions of dollars in the red.If NASA
Mars lander fails NASA will have its budget slashed. If it finds
CO2,rock,dust and no "water" that will not go over to big. Would
like to know if there is anyone aboard the space station now?
Bert

Old July 8th 03, 06:00 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
David Read my July 5th post." Robot space station: Never once
mentioned astronauts Jupiter is to far. Astronauts are very brave,but
they are not stupid. Do you think they would ride those Rube Goldberg
shuttles that were made to be reusable.and ended up as more expensive
and a killer. Bert PS Think before you jump(if possible)

Bert...I agree attacking you without facts is equal to your posting without
facts. The fact of the matter however is that your July 5th post reads:

"I know it will never be done,but its an idea that I like. NASA has to
scrape those old shuttles,so lets attach them to the space station,and
use them to push the space station to Jupiter. their pay load just has
to be extra fuel. It is better than putting them on display,for they
have a sad history,and beside the awesome Saturn V they look Micky
Mouse. Bert"

Where is the word Robot in that quote?

BV.

Old July 8th 03, 06:03 PM
BenignVanilla

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Hi Eddie You have to face reality. Todays NASA just don't have the
right stuff. I did not like the way they fired the styrofoam into the
flat area of the wing.

snip

Bert, check out http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-shuttle_x.htm
and you will see that they fired a glancing blow to the edge of the wing.
The impact occurred on the underside at the edge the wing as is expected
happened to Columbia.

BV.

Old July 8th 03, 08:40 PM
BenignVanilla

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote in message
snip
To be fair to Bert, his July 4th post did include the word robot. It's a
remarkably silly idea, but the word was there.

snip

I see that. Thanks for the tip. My apologies to Bert. I was referencing his
July 5th, 2003 post in which he posted the same concept sans ROBOT. I stand
corrected.

BV.