Apollo with one person

Old February 24th 11, 08:07 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Apollo with one person

Was Apollo designed to be operated by one person? Could it be sent
to rendezvous in LEO with only one guy as pilot/navigator/flight
engineer?

Mike
Old February 24th 11, 09:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Feb 24, 3:07*pm, " wrote:
Was Apollo designed to be operated by one person? *Could it *be sent
to rendezvous in LEO with only one guy as pilot/navigator/flight
engineer?

Mike

well return to earth with just the CM pilot was definetely supported,
in the event the LM couldnt get back to the CM.

Old February 25th 11, 06:16 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Pat Flannery :
On 2/24/2011 12:07 PM, wrote:

Was Apollo designed to be operated by one person? *Could it *be sent
to rendezvous in LEO with only one guy as pilot/navigator/flight
engineer?

It could certainly be operated by one crewman when in lunar orbit, as it
was the active partner when docking to the LM ascent stage.

Anyone here heard of Apollo 9?

~ CT
Old February 27th 11, 03:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
rwalker

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:16:13 -0800 (PST), Stuf4
wrote:

From Pat Flannery :
On 2/24/2011 12:07 PM, wrote:

Was Apollo designed to be operated by one person? *Could it *be sent
to rendezvous in LEO with only one guy as pilot/navigator/flight
engineer?

It could certainly be operated by one crewman when in lunar orbit, as it
was the active partner when docking to the LM ascent stage.

Anyone here heard of Apollo 9?

~ CT

I always feel sorry for the "forgotten" Apollo missions: 7, 9, and
10.
Old February 28th 11, 08:52 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From rwalker :
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:16:13 -0800 (PST), Stuf4

wrote:
From Pat Flannery :
On 2/24/2011 12:07 PM, wrote:

Was Apollo designed to be operated by one person? Could it be sent
to rendezvous in LEO with only one guy as pilot/navigator/flight
engineer?

It could certainly be operated by one crewman when in lunar orbit, as it
was the active partner when docking to the LM ascent stage.

Anyone here heard of Apollo 9?

I always feel sorry for the "forgotten" Apollo missions: *7, 9, and
10.

Adam Ant didn't forget about Apollo 9. Ha! He closed his 'Apollo 9'
song with "busy lassoing the moon" when 9 never got close, so
obviously all he cared about was that '9' rhymed with 'fine'.

~ CT
Old March 1st 11, 09:05 PM posted to sci.space.history
rwalker

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 00:52:41 -0800 (PST), Stuf4
wrote:

Adam Ant didn't forget about Apollo 9. Ha! He closed his 'Apollo 9'
song with "busy lassoing the moon" when 9 never got close, so
obviously all he cared about was that '9' rhymed with 'fine'.

Interesting. I think the only other Apollo related song I know of is
"For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me" by Jethro Tull. I'm sure there
are others.
Old March 2nd 11, 11:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From rwalker :

wrote:
Adam Ant didn't forget about Apollo 9. *Ha! *He closed his 'Apollo 9'
song with "busy lassoing the moon" when 9 never got close, so
obviously all he cared about was that '9' rhymed with 'fine'.

Interesting. *I think the only other Apollo related song I know of is
"For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me" by Jethro Tull. *I'm sure there
are others. *

If you like Blink 182, you might enjoy The Flight Of Apollo, by Angels
& Airwaves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdsdR3Unhcc

In the same album as that song, Tom Delonge also wrote 'The Moon-
Atomic'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZy4cxj4SGQ
This song can be seen as telling the story of the space race as driven
by the nuclear threat.

Delonge was even more specific in his previous album with the song
'Love Like Rockets'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKcp9UlbUDA
The intro has the recording of the first voice message transmitted
from space. It's Eisenhower's SCORE satellite transmitted radio
address:
"... Through the marvels of scientific advance, my voice is coming to
you from a satellite circling in outer space.
.... Through this unique means I convey to you and to all mankind
America's wish for Peace on Earth..."

That one's not quite Apollo, but without Eisenhower funding Von
Braun's Army Saturn, there would have been no hope of Apollo
succeeding in the 60s. Following the SCORE audio in that song,
there's a recording of a Russian transmission. Someone here might
know the significance of that.

For a more mellow Apollo song, there's 'Neil Armstrong' by Races To
April
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAPWmuRtmlY&t=4m16s
....containing this lyrical gem:
"I love you like Neil Armstrong loves the moon".

But yeah, it is strange that there's nothing on par with Rush's
'Countdown' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5vPrrnb6tw) for a
passionately inspired song about any Apollo mission that was produced
during the era. With all the amazing talent pouring out of the late
60s and through the 70s, you'd think that someone would have done
that. I wonder if any space historian (or music historian) has
attempted an explanation as to why that didn't happen.

~ CT

ONLY ONE c l i c k FOR DISABLE PERSON ... ineedyourhelpp Amateur Astronomy 0 August 22nd 06 08:26 AM
Name This Person Stuf4 History 13 May 10th 04 06:05 AM
X-37 as 3 person CRV? Blurrt Space Station 6 July 29th 03 07:55 AM