NASA's long-running 'Cover Story' Comes to an End!

Old February 17th 10, 05:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Eric Chomko[_2_]

Default NASA's long-running 'Cover Story' Comes to an End!

On Feb 5, 8:00*pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
"OM" wrote in message

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:44:38 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Well, I think it deserves a more measured response than that...

...Brian, the "measured response" I want to give catamitic trolls like
"jonathan" are carefully measured blows from a Louisville Slugger with
a railroad spike in the business end. Measured to apply the proper
amount of force to cause permanent pain without killing the little
*******, because I'd want him to suffer for the rest of his unnatural
life without being able to troll again.

"jonathan" deserves this as assuredly as a child molester would at the
very minimum.

Ya know, you may find this hard to believe, but directly experiencing
the pure hate of others is surprisingly educational. Why I'm pure evil
to you is odd, I've made it clear for years my goal is to see NASA
have a zero added to it's budget, and soon.

Wait, manned spaceflight or all of NASA? What about all the good solar
stuff and astronomy, unmanned missions to the outer planets, earth
observation?

Space Solar Power
is far more popular than the Moon in the polls. * While also being
within the realm of possibility in technology, competitiveness and
within one of the very largest industries on Earth, energy.
A 'thin' and crucial industry badly needing new sources.

It's only waiting for lower cost to orbit to become practical.

Not to mention the idea makes sense on many other levels, it's
easy to sell and could become very popular in the foreseeable
future, given the negative trends within the current energy market.
It's the only renewable that can tap directly into baseload
power.

It can be very popular with the greens, and with big business.
It can appeal to the doves that wish to spread prosperity
world wide, as well as the hawks that see it as a solution
to our greatest single national security weakness.

What happens if it go into the wrong hands?

It can start a new and large high tech industry which requires
solutions to the high cost to orbit. Which alone can enable
anything else we wish to do in space.

And Space Solar Power is engineering on a grand scale, so
much so, that it's accomplishments will easily become a
permanent player in the largest of all stages, the night sky.
And it's benefits seen as a turning point in human history.

Apollo saved the world from itself in winning the cold war.

The USSR fell in upon itself. And the Cold War raged on 20 years after
Apollo.

Repeating Apollo means doing just that again.
But from the greatest global threats of ....today.

Fossil fuels and climate change.

NASA needs to become an advisor, not just
a pawn, stand up and say that they can
solve those two problems. They CAN!

Where does the DOE fit in? NSF?

If for no other reason than that, they SHOULD!.
And there's no reason why an ambitious SSP
program can't begin tomorrow within the
existing budget. As pure research is the first
step, not the hardware.

You haven't thought how ALL the players would get involved. How are
you going to lift the barrier to entry as imposed by oil companies
using fossil fuels to now retool and invest into SSP?

Being a leader in space means being the first to figure out
how to put space activity ....to good use.

No, NASA needs to get us there it is up to industry to figure out how
to use it.
Old February 17th 10, 06:02 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Feb 17, 9:52*am, Eric Chomko wrote:
On Feb 5, 8:00*pm, "Jonathan" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Our mutually perpetrated cold-war is far from over (if anything it has
spread), so the to/from cost of dealing with our moon(Selene) shall
remain as cloak and dagger as well as full of unknowns and otherwise
spendy, mostly because everyone gets to reinvent the wheel since we're
kept on the need-to-know list of what was 100% public funded to begin
with.

Thankfully, China doesn't have to screw around.

~ BG
Old February 18th 10, 09:53 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Feb 17, 1:02*pm, Brad Guth wrote:
On Feb 17, 9:52*am, Eric Chomko wrote:

On Feb 5, 8:00*pm, "Jonathan" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

"Screwing around" is a human condition of which China is not immune.
And in their case, *literally* so, given their population!