Software - Starry Nights or ??

Old November 9th 03, 09:05 PM
Ray Hedberg

Default Software - Starry Nights or ??

What do you think of Starry Nights - I don't need to control a telescope
but would like some very reastic educational software to learn more about
the sky. It would be great to have closeups and animation.
Old November 13th 03, 03:23 AM
Wargamer Scott

Greetings,

I have Starry Nights Backyard edition and am very pleased with it. The
only thing I don't like is that it does not give the coordinates of
celestial objects in RA and Dec., for that feature you need Starry Night
Pro---which is more expensive than the affordable Backyard edition. Starry
Night includes a number of Quicktime movies explaining basic astronomy
concepts and the program itself is quite good at creating animations of
various events like eclipses, etc. Go to Space.com for an idea of what
Starry Night is capable of. For the money, it is a fine program.

I also hear that the latest edition of Red Shift is very good as well.

Condemned to the Games,
S.D. Tortorice
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest thing. The decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing
is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he
is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal
safety,
is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made free or
kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."---John Stuart Mill

starry nights Jay Misc 5 September 13th 03 03:00 PM
U. at Buffalo Engineer Creates Software to Detect and Find Leaksin ISS (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Space Station 3 September 8th 03 10:28 PM
Deepsky 2003 Astronomy Software vs Starry Night GO VOLS! Amateur Astronomy 9 September 7th 03 04:35 PM
Deepsky 2003 software vs Starry Nights? JD Misc 1 September 7th 03 04:23 PM