Existential risks and Antrax - Follow up of earlier thread

Old August 2nd 08, 04:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Ian Parker

Default Existential risks and Antrax - Follow up of earlier thread

Some time ago we discussed existential risks and the question of
Anthrax arose. Despite all the red herrings, all the smearing it now
emerges that I was right all along.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7536890.stm
The crime WAS committed at Fort Detrick, the other suggestions were
all complete red herrings. Progress was made by the FBI only after the
leadership had been changed. This would suggest to me that
Dr Ivins died in hospital on Tuesday. In a statement on Friday,
USAMRIID said it "mourned the loss of Dr Bruce Ivins, who served the
institute for more than 35 years as a civilian microbiologist... We
will miss him very much". Well no one missed Harold Shipman, why are
these people so polite. He was a serial killer for goodness sake. Good
riddance I say. There seems to be one rule for tghe so called
"security" industry and quite another for anyone else.

The person originally smeared and accused Dr. Hafill has just won a
multi million dollar lawsuit. There are also actions pending against
Fort Detrick for their lack of security. I hope :-

a) They win.

b) USAMRID does not get its resources increased. If the place has to
close as a result so be it. Why should the taxpayer fork out for
incompetence and lies?

I hope, but I think that this is a forlorn hope that the security at
Atlanta is a lot better. Smallpox you know has not been eradicated. It
can only be deemed to have been eradicated when the wretched stuff has
been destroyed.

- Ian Parker