New Huge Celestron 20" Scope and Mount. Adv...sort of.

Old February 13th 04, 09:27 PM
David Nakamoto

Default New Huge Celestron 20" Scope and Mount. Adv...sort of.

So one confirmation of something I suspected; the mount is undersized for
the Meade scope.

And a Dall-Kirkham design, if well done, is a great telescope. Better than
any SCT in my books. I hope Celestron pulls it off, but this is definitely
a better observatory scope than a "portable" one.

--- Dave

"Del Johnson" delastro@{right star in Orion's belt}.sdsu.edu wrote in
message ...
Don't be so sure about that. The 16" Meade SCT has been less than

stellar.
Not a very good mount for starters.

Del Johnson

"ValeryD" wrote in message
om...

Ha ha! In this case Meade 16" is MUCH MUCH better choice.

Valery Deryuzhin.

Old February 13th 04, 11:36 PM
ValeryD

"Chuck" wrote in message ...
It should be interesting, the competition is the 20" D&G Classical
Cassegrain on a Paramount ME for $30,000. It would seem Celestron would be
hard pressed to provide better performance at that price point ....

Or better 14.5" or even 16" RC on the Paramount ME.

V.D.

Old February 13th 04, 11:45 PM
Rod Mollise

16" is much more cost-effective.

HI Valery:

I agree, though the jury is still out, to some extent, on the new GPS 16.
Actually, if you can stand to drop down 2 inches, the Meade 14 is a tremendous
value and is garnering some rave reviews--I'm told it may be the best of all
the GPS LX200s...

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old February 13th 04, 11:45 PM
Richard

"ValeryD" wrote in message
om...

Ha ha! In this case Meade 16" is MUCH MUCH better choice.

Valery Deryuzhin.

Like all SCT gotos on forks over 8" in size, it works ok in horizontal
mode. Equatorially, too much stress on the polar bearing and forks.
-Rich