Earth w/o Magnetosphere, w/o Moon

Old November 25th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Earth w/o Magnetosphere, w/o Moon

In article , The Ghost In The Machine writes:
In sci.physics, Brad Guth

wrote
on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 03:07:23 +0000 (UTC)
ilgate.org:
I guess an Earth w/o magnetosphere really doen't hardly matter,

In a way, you're right. An Earth without the magnetosphere would be
deadly during the daytime to all surface-dwelling life forms.

Really? Why do you think so?

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
Old November 25th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
Brad Guth[_2_]

"The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in
message

In sci.physics, Brad Guth

wrote
on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 03:07:23 +0000 (UTC)
lgate.org:
I guess an Earth w/o magnetosphere really doen't hardly matter,

In a way, you're right. An Earth without the magnetosphere would be
deadly during the daytime to all surface-dwelling life forms.

Even our toasty nighttimes would become much worse off from the cosmic
and secondary/recoil bath of radiation streaming off our naked/reactive
moon, as well as from all the rotting of human and other flesh that'll
be just about everywhere.

especially since GW is going to make our one and only precious Earth
into an absolute living hell that's way too spendy before our frail DNA
gets TBI to death.

Is it GW's fault, or the fault of all US citizens? Remember,
we elected him.

Both, and it's only getting much worse, isn't it. Are you one of the
"we elected him"?

The Arctic will not contribute to ocean rising.

That's rather odd because, I've never once said it would, other than
perhaps by way of contributing a few cm, though indirectly because of
the global albedo dimming once the arctic sea ice is gone will likely
cause a new and improved thermal expansion phase of our oceans that'll
be extensively comprised of vast dead zones with only jellyfish to
spare, plus soon thereafter to summarily devour the vast bulk of
Greenland's and Antarctica's ice in no time at all. Of course, then
we'll never see a storm of much less than a category 5.

What's a category 6 storm going to be like, especially if it's packing
along a higher density or composite worth of co2 for the ride?
-
Brad Guth

Old November 25th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
Brad Guth[_2_]

"The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in
message

It's a snap judgement admittedly, but my understanding is
that the magnetosphere of the Earth diverts the particles
approaching us from old Sol into the Van Allen belts, or
away from Earth entirely. However, I'd have to study the
matter, and these particles will probably not be fatal to
burrowing creatures (since most of them can't penetrate
rock) -- just the ones on the surface.

Perhaps we humans that are smart enough should find those old fishy DNA
codes, so that we can retroactively evolve ourselves back in time, in
order to migrate ourselves safely back into our badly polluted and
dead-zone oceans of what's hosting mostly jellyfish.

Either that or take kindly to utilizing our very best intelligent
design, in order to obtain and/or expedite those rad-hard DNA mutations,
so that a thousand fold increase in our surface TBI exposure isn't such
a lethal factor. Seems like a good sort of forced evolutionary thing to
strive for, especially since our atmosphere will have become a little
thinner and the likes of our SAA will eventually be touching down and
covering most of Earth.
-
Brad Guth

Old November 25th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

In article , The Ghost In The Machine writes:
In sci.physics,

wrote
on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:50:09 GMT
:

1407a4225d28a022b8af765580ca2107.49644@mygate. mailgate.org:
I guess an Earth w/o magnetosphere really doen't hardly matter,

In a way, you're right. An Earth without the magnetosphere would be
deadly during the daytime to all surface-dwelling life forms.

Really? Why do you think so?

It's a snap judgement admittedly, but my understanding is
that the magnetosphere of the Earth diverts the particles
approaching us from old Sol into the Van Allen belts, or
away from Earth entirely. However, I'd have to study the
matter, and these particles will probably not be fatal to
burrowing creatures (since most of them can't penetrate
rock) -- just the ones on the surface.

Nope.

The Earth atmosphere represents a shield equivalent to a 10m layer of
water, i.e something like 3-4 m of concrete or about 1m of lead.
That's more than you'll find on nuclear reactors. Only the most
energetic stuff has even a slight chance to get through it and stuff
that energetic won't be deflected by the Earth magnetic field either.
Not to mention that neither gammas nor neutrons are influenced by the
Earth magnetic field.

Note that life on the Earth surface in the vicinity of the Earth
magnetic poles, where you've no "magnetic shielding", is not disturbed
by this fact.

You could completely eliminate the Earth magnetic field and radiation
wise, on Earth's surface, it would've made no difference.

Old November 25th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.physics, Brad Guth

wrote
on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:25:19 +0000 (UTC)
lgate.org:
[...]

Maybe yes, maybe no. I voted Democrat but used an electronic voting
device.

The Arctic will not contribute to ocean rising.

That's rather odd because, I've never once said it would, other than
perhaps by way of contributing a few cm, though indirectly because of
the global albedo dimming once the arctic sea ice is gone will likely
cause a new and improved thermal expansion phase of our oceans that'll
be extensively comprised of vast dead zones with only jellyfish to
spare, plus soon thereafter to summarily devour the vast bulk of
Greenland's and Antarctica's ice in no time at all. Of course, then
we'll never see a storm of much less than a category 5.

What's a category 6 storm going to be like, especially if it's packing
along a higher density or composite worth of co2 for the ride?

Katrina's Mother? :-)

-
Brad Guth

#191,
Windows Vista. Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
try our new color changing variant?

Old November 25th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.physics,

wrote
on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:55:54 GMT
:
[...]

Interesting! Not that the shielding helps all that much
regarding less energetic radiation, to wit global warming.
:-)

But at least we won't have to worry about the coming
pole flip. (It might be 20 years, or 20,000. I frankly
don't know, but AIUI the magnetic poles are showing signs
of doing something.)

#191,

Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
to fix your Windows problems?

Old November 26th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

[...]

Well, yes, the shielding is quite transparent to visible radiation.
That's why visible radiation is visible.

But at least we won't have to worry about the coming
pole flip. (It might be 20 years, or 20,000. I frankly
don't know, but AIUI the magnetic poles are showing signs
of doing something.)

It is a good thing that we've GPS now and don't have to rely on a
magnetic compass:-)

Old November 26th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
OM[_4_]

Default Please Keep Brad Guth off of Sci.Space.History! (Was: Earth w/o Magnetosphere, w/o Moon

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:11:48 -0800, The Ghost In The Machine
wrote:

[Tons of unnecessarily quote text, most of which is bull**** from Brad
Guth, purged with prejudice]

....Would you guys *PLEASE* trim sci.space.history from your followups?
We've all killfiled Guthball over here, and if you're not going to do
the same, at least keep his garbage on your side of the fence!

Thanks!

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old November 26th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy
Brad Guth[_2_]

"The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in
message

Maybe yes, maybe no. I voted Democrat but used an electronic voting
device.

Well, even those Democrat Jews voted for our resident LLPOF warlord(GW
Bush). Go figure?

What's a category 6 storm going to be like, especially if it's packing
along a higher density or composite worth of co2 for the ride?

Katrina's Mother? :-)

With water spouts the size of NYC (of course always including
Manhattan), and a forced 6+ meter storm surge + tide, I'd say you're
being rather conservative. If we're talking about Florida, you can kiss
that entire state goodbye.
-
Brad Guth