ASTRO: MRK 276 Galaxies in Collision

Old July 14th 14, 06:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: MRK 276 Galaxies in Collision

Markaryan 273 is a well studied but mostly ignored by amateurs galactic
merger in progress located in Ursa Major about 3 degrees northwest of
M101. Redshift puts it about 516 million light-years distant. The core
shows two nuclei one second apart. Far beyond my resolution this night.
They consist of very different age stars. One of the merging galaxies
is thought to have been unusually gas rich. A note at NED indicates
there's a ring of star formation some 100 kpc (326,000 light-years) in
diameter thanks to all the gas. I measure the southern plume as being
some 144,000 light-years long though a note at NED puts it at 130,000.
The difference may be due to the distance estimate used. As with all my
redshift distances I used NED's 5 year WMAP calculator. I measure the
northeastern fainter plume as being even longer at 165,000 light-years.
Since they aren't 180 degrees apart I find the distance between their
endpoints to be 103.7" of arc which works out to 259,000 light-years.
The merging galaxies are considered very strong in all wavelengths from
radio well into the ultraviolet. It is classed as an ultraviolet excess
object, an IR source and a radio source. All but the gamma ray
astronomers have put a lot of time into studying this object. There is
a lot of information at NED on this galaxy, far too much for me to
cover. Those interested can go to NED and look up MRK 273 and click on
the notes link in the list of links at the upper right of the page.
Several other galaxies with the same redshift as MRK 273 are in the area
a few of which are in the frame.

I placed the galaxy well to the north of the center of the field to also
pick up the core of the Abell 1783 galaxy cluster. This cluster's core
consists of quite a few IC galaxies all of which are listed in NED as;
"Identification as IC 0nnn is not certain." SEDS says of these;
"Unidentified at the place given, or type unknown, in Ursa Major." Due
to this I've listed them with a question mark in the annotated image.
The cluster's distance is about 920 million light-years. All the IC
galaxies in this cluster were discovered in 1892 by Edward Barnard. He
was a very careful observer so how these identifications became so
questionable I don't know. With a radius of 35 minutes of arc MRK 273
is within the cluster but lies only about half as far away so the two
are unrelated.

Well below MRK 0273 is the strange galaxy ASK 300802. Is that a plume
going to the north northeast or is it a separate galaxy? I consulted
the Sloan image and couldn't tell. But according to NED they say it is
a star! Try as I may, I can't turn a fuzz patch into a star. So it is
a mystery object, plume or separate galaxy but certainly not a star.

The frame contains several very blue star-like objects that appear to be
quasars but aren't so listed at NED. Instead they are listed as BLAGN
(Broad Line Active Galactic Nuclei. Since they appear very quasar like
and are as bright as quasars I also show them as (Q?) in the annotated
image. If a galaxy had a catalog designation that wasn't just its
position I've shown that but if it is listed only by its coordinates
I've just listed it as G followed by its distance. If a galaxy was in
the NGC or IC but had no distance data it is listed with na where the
distance would have been shown if it had been available. I've listed
NED's classification of the object if given after its catalog name or
"G" when available.

To show the faint northeastern plume of MRK 0273 I've stretched the
image more than normal which also helps to show the noise in the image
due to my short exposure time. I'd planned much more time but, as usual
this year, the weather conditions made that impossible. I had to fight
for what little I got.

Also the F7 star just east of MRK 273 sent horrid reflections all across
the frame. The multitude of overlapping donuts it created were a major
processing pain and cost me some faint detail. More time would have
made those reflections even worse.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MRK273L4X10RGB2X10r.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	5202  Click image for larger version

Name:	MRK273L4X10RGB2X10IDr.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	5203  Click image for larger version

Name:	MRK273L4X10RGB2X10rCROP150.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	5204
Old July 14th 14, 07:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: MRK 273 Galaxies in Collision

Typo in the Subject line Should read MRK 273