ASTRO: NGC 6503 Yet another lost on the hard drive

Old June 27th 14, 07:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 6503 Yet another lost on the hard drive

NGC 6503 is a nice flocculent galaxy in eastern Draco and thought to be
about 17 million light-years distant based on HST images of its red
giant stars. Most sources call it a dwarf though NED doesn't. Nor
should it. Most sources give its diameter at 30 million light-years. I
find that quite wrong. That is the diameter of its brighter disk but
the disk extends considerably further both directions in my data. I
find it nearly 10 minutes of arc across which makes it 49,000
light-years across. The faint extensions appear full of fuzzy objects.
Since the HST image doesn't begin to go out far enough I don't know
what these may be. Likely star clusters I would think. Some may be
globulars I suppose but they seem to be in the disk making that
unlikely. This is a very active galaxy with an active core and many
star forming HII regions.

The galaxy is on the edge of the "Local Void". This is a very poorly
defined region bounded by our local group, the Hercules Cluster and the
some say the Coma Cluster. I have trouble with the latter as that is
about half a billion light-years out so not exactly "local". The size
of the void is given as somewhat between 30 and more than 150 million
light-years. I'd say that is rather vague and rather a rather useless
description. The void is said to contain fewer galaxies than would be
expected there but with such a poor boundary I'd think you could "prove"
about any density you wanted by playing with such a vague volume.

Being above (barely) the 70 degree limit I had for years I was unable to
catch it. I wanted to try and see those HII regions. Finally after my
two Polaris trees had to be removed before they fell on the house or
observatory I got the data. But not the HII data I had apparently
planned on. The result was it was removed from my to-do list but not
added to the to-process list though the data files had been moved into
that directory. Without going on the listing it sat there ignored.
After a request was put out for the image some time ago I looked and saw
the data was waiting to be processed but never noticed it wasn't in the
queue to actually be processed. I mentioned I had the data but it would
be a while before I got to it as I looked down the listing two months
and didn't see it. Finally I wondered when I would get to it so looked
down the full list and it wasn't there. So years late I finally made a
rush to process the data even though there's no H alpha data.
Apparently I was planning on getting that but not putting it in the
to-do queue at all let alone at high priority that never happened. If
the weather ever clears here I'll see if I can remedy that.

Also I found the red data was poor. It got hit by clouds and hurt
badly. That I noticed and I retook the data or tried to later that
night after it cleared. But instead of taking red data I took blue!
This one just wasn't meant to be. I struggled but think I sort of
salvaged the color even with this handicap.

There's not much on this field. Some of the obvious galaxies are strong
Ultraviolet emitters and were cataloged by the GALEX ultraviolet space
telescope. Oddly NED picks them up only as UV sources of an unknown
nature rather than as the galaxy they are. None have redshift data so I
didn't note them on the annotated image. I did note all galaxies NED
listed as galaxies however. Since these are only known by their
coordinates I didn't bother to identify them beyond their status as G
for galaxy AGN for active galactic nucleus and Q for quasar. Somehow
three from the 2MASS survey without distance info did get fully
identified. Why I don't know. I'm dead tired after two hard days
splitting many cords of super heavy oak. That's my excuse and I'm
sticking to it. I'm too old to be lifting 100 lb. hunks onto a
splitter. I need one with a hydraulic lift. Some are over 30" across.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RG=2x10' B=4x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6503L4X10RG2X10B4X10.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	5177  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6503L4X10RG2X10B4X10ID.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	5178  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC6503L4X10RG2X10B4X10CROP.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	5179
Old July 9th 14, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Beautiful image Rick. Lots of structure in the spiral arms in spite of it's
high inclination.

Stefan

om...