Daily Rpt #4554

Old February 26th 08, 03:37 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Bassford, Lynn

Default Daily Rpt #4554

DAILY REPORT*** # 4554

PERIOD COVERED: UT February 25, 2008 (DOY 056)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

WFPC2 11024

WFPC2 CYCLE 15 INTERNAL MONITOR

This calibration proposal is the Cycle 15 routine internal monitor for
WFPC2, to be run weekly to monitor the health of the cameras. A
variety of internal exposures are obtained in order to provide a
monitor of the integrity of the CCD camera electronics in both bays
{both gain 7 and gain 15 -- to test stability of gains and bias
levels}, a test for quantum efficiency in the CCDs, and a monitor for
possible buildup of contaminants on the CCD windows. These also
provide raw data for generating annual super-bias reference files for
the calibration pipeline.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8795

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 6

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science i mages. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NIC2 11135

Extreme makeovers: Tracing the transformation of massive galaxies at
z~2.5

To obtain a full spectroscopic census of the universe at z~2.5 we have
conducted a near-infrared spectroscopic survey for K-selected
galaxies. We found that, in contrast to the local universe, massive
high-redshift galaxies span a wide range of properties, varying from
(dusty) star burst to "red and dead" galaxies. This may imply that
massive galaxies transform from star-forming to quiescent galaxies in
the targeted redshift range. To understand whether the 9 quiescent
galaxies in our sample are the progenitors of local elliptical, we are
observing them in the current cycle with NIC2. For cycle 16 we propose
to complete our sample of massive z~2.5 galaxies and image the
remaining 10 galaxies, which all have emission lines. Based on
emission-line diagnostics, 6 of these galaxies are identified as
star-forming objects and 4 harbor an active galactic nucleus. The
goals are to 1) determine whether star formation in massive z~2.5
galaxies takes place in disks or is triggered by merger activity, 2)
derive the contribution of AGNs to the rest-frame optical emission,
and 3) test whether the morphologies are consistent with the idea that
the star-forming galaxies, AGNs, and quiescent galaxies represent
subsequent phases of an evolutionary sequence. The combination of both
programs will provide the first morphological study of a
spectroscopically confirmed massive galaxy sample at z~2.5.

NIC2 11142

Revealing the Physical Nature of Infrared Luminous Galaxies at 0.3

We aim to determine physical properties of IR luminous galaxies at
0.3z2.7 by requesting coordinated HST/NIC2 and MIPS 70um observations
of a unique, 24um flux-limited sample with complete Spitzer mid-IR
spectroscopy. The 150 sources investigated in this program have S{24um}
0.8mJy and their mid-IR spectra have already provided the majority

targets with spectroscopic redshifts {0.3z2.7}. The proposed
150~orbits of NIC2 and 66~hours of MIPS 70um will provide the physical
measurements of the light distribution at the rest-frame ~8000A and
better estimates of the bolometric luminosity. Combining these
parameters together with the rich suite of spectral diagnostics from
the mid-IR spectra, we will {1} measure how common mergers are among
LIRGs and ULIRGs at 0.3z2.7, and establish if major mergers are the
drivers of z1 ULIRGs, as in the local Universe. {2} study the
co-evolution of star formation and black hole accretion by
investigating the relations between the fraction of starburst/AGN
measured from mid-IR spectra vs. HST morphologies, L{bol} and z. {3}
obtain the current best estimates of the far-IR emission, thus L{bol}
for this sample, and establish if the relative contribution of
mid-to-far IR dust emission is correlated with morphology {resolved
vs. unresolved}.

NIC3 11120

A Paschen-Alpha Study of Massive Stars and the ISM in the Galactic
Center

The Galactic center (GC) is a unique site for a detailed study of a
multitude of complex astrophysical phenomena, which may be common to
nuclear regions of many galaxies. Observable at resolutions
unapproachable in other galaxies, the GC provides an unparalleled
opportunity to improve our understanding of the interrelationships of
massive stars, young stellar clusters, warm and hot ionized gases,
molecular clouds, large scale magnetic fields, and black holes. We
propose the first large-scale hydrogen Paschen alpha line survey of
the GC using NICMOS on the Hubble Space Telescope. This survey will
lead to a high resolution and high sensitivity map of the Paschen
alpha line emission in addition to a map of foreground extinction,
made by comparing Paschen alpha to radio emission. This survey of the
inner 75 pc of the Galaxy will provide an unprecedented and complete
search for sites of massive star formation. In particular, we will be
able to (1) uncover the distribution of young massive stars in this
region, (2) locate the surfaces of adjacent molecular clouds, (3)
determine important physical parameters of the ionized gas, (4)
identify compact and ultra-compact HII regions throughout the GC. When
combined with existing Chandra and Spitzer surveys as well as a wealth
of other multi-wavelength observations, the results will allow us to
address such questions as where and how massive stars form, how
stellar clusters are disrupted, how massive stars shape and heat the
surrounding medium, and how various phases of this medium are
interspersed.

WFPC2 11070

WFPC2 CYCLE 15 Standard Darks - part II

This dark calibration program obtains dark frames every week in order
to provide data for the ongoing calibration of the CCD dark current
rate, and to monitor and characterize the evolution of hot pixels.
Over an extended period these data will also provide a monitor of
radiation damage to the CCDs.

WFPC2 11176

Location and the Origin of Short Gamma-Ray Bursts

During the past decade extraordinary progress has been made in
determining the origin of long- duration gamma-ray bursts. It has been
conclusively shown that these objects derive from the deaths of
massive stars. Nonetheless, the origin of their observational cousins,
short-duration gamma-ray bursts {SGRBs} remains a mystery. While SGRBs
are widely thought to result from the inspiral of compact binaries,
this is a conjecture. A number of hosts of SGRBs have been identified,
and have been used by some to argue that SGRBs derive primarily from
an ancient population {~ 5 Gyr}; however, it is not known whether this
conclusion more accurately reflects selection biases or astrophysics.
Here we propose to employ a variant of a technique that we pioneered
and used to great effect in elucidating the origins of long-duration
bursts. We will examine the degree to which SGRB locations trace the
red or blue light of their hosts, and thus old or young stellar
populations. This approach will allow us to study the demographics of
the SGRB population in a manner largely free of the distance dependent
selection effects which have so far bedeviled this field, and should
give direct insight into the age of the SGRB progenitor population.

WFPC2 11289

SL2S: The Strong Lensing Legacy Survey

Recent systematic surveys of strong galaxy-galaxy lenses {CLASS,
SLACS, GOODS, etc.} are producing spectacular results for galaxy
masses roughly below a transition mass M~10^13 Mo. The observed lens
properties and their evolution up to z~0.2, consistent with numerical
simulations, can be described by isothermal elliptical potentials. In
contrast, modeling of giant arcs in X-ray luminous clusters {halo
masses M ~10^13 Mo} favors NFW mass profiles, suggesting that dark
matter halos are not significantly affected by baryon cooling. Until
recently, lensing surveys were neither deep nor extended enough to
probe the intermediate mass density regime, which is fundamental for
understanding the assembly of structures. The CFHT Legacy Survey now
covers 125 square degrees, and thus offers a large reservoir of strong
lenses probing a large range of mass densities up to z~1. We have
extracted a list of 150 strong lenses using the most recent CFHTLS
data release via automated procedures. Following our first SNAPSHOT
proposal in cycle 15, we propose to continue the Hubble follow-up
targeting a larger list of 130 lensing candidates. These are
intermediate mass range candidates {between galaxies and clusters}
that are selected in the redshift range of 0.2-1 with no a priori
X-ray selection. The HST resolution is necessary for confirming the
lensing candidates, accurate modeling of the lenses, and probing the
total mass concentration in galaxy groups up to z~1 with the largest
unbiased sample available to date.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

OBAD with Maneuver****** 28******************** 28

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily #4059 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 February 28th 06 02:55 PM
Daily #4045 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 February 8th 06 02:26 PM
Daily #4044 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 February 7th 06 02:26 PM
Daily #4043 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 February 6th 06 02:31 PM
Daily #4042 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 February 3rd 06 02:38 PM