Daily 3627

Old June 7th 04, 02:59 PM

Default Daily 3627

DAILY REPORT # 3627

PERIOD COVERED: DOYs 156-158

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

S/C/NIC1/NIC3 9994

NICMOS Focus Stability

The purpose of this activity is to determine if the best focus
determined in SMOV is stable. This program will execute in
approximately one month intervals starting about 1 month after the
last execution of proposal 8980.

ACS/HRC 9987

Coronagraphic search for disks around nearby stars

We will use the coronagraphic and imaging modes of the High Resolution
camera to study of the role of circumstellar disks in planetary system
formation over timescales of ~1-1000 Myr. Our targets comprise pre
Main-Sequence {MS} and MS stars, selected by infrared excess, and
targets selected from SIRTF surveys. Some targets, like Beta Pictoris
have debris disks that have been detected at optical or near-IR
wavelengths, while others have disks inferred from mid-IR or ISO
observations. We will obtain multicolor images of each target's
circumstellar environment for the purpose of {1} detecting and
characterizing disk morphologies over all scales {including warps and
regions of enhanced or depleted density}, and {2} seeking evidence of
embedded planets. Direct and occulted images will be recorded for
studying the disks within 2 arcseconds of these targets; the
coronagraph will be used to image the outer regions of the disks.
Together with existing infrared observations, we will provide
constraints on the sizes, distribution, and composition of dust
grains.

STIS/CCD/MA1 9985

Comets: Gas in the Inner Coma

Our target of opportunity program aims at understanding the
nucleus-coma interface in comets. Imaging of the near-nucleus region,
from both the in situ spacecraft missions to comet Halley in 1986, and
more recently with the WFPC2 Planetary Camera, has revealed the
structure and evolution of the dust jets associated with active areas
on the surface of the nucleus. These dust jets are thought to be
driven by the vaporization of the volatiles trapped in the cometary
ice. However, the total source inventory of the gaseous component of
the coma is not known as there has not been to date direct imaging of
a "parent" molecule vaporized directly from the nucleus. In the
spectral range of the SBC, the dominant emissions are the Fourth
Positive band system of CO and the resonance transitions of its
dissociation products carbon and oxygen {oxygen is also produced by
the photodissociation of water}. The latter, as dissociation products,
are rather extended but the CO emission is concentrated close to the
nucleus {McPhate et al. 1999}. Thus, imaging with the SBC using the
BaF_2 filter to remove the OI 1304 A will provide a measure of the gas
flow leaving the comet's nucleus. In the event of outbursts {often
associated with the rotation of active areas into the sunlit
hemisphere}, sequential images can provide a direct measure of the gas
outflow velocity. The possible presence of a distributed source of CO
{such as the purported "CHON" grains invoked to explain the
distribution recorded by the Giotto neutral mass spectrometer at
Halley} will also be determined. We note that while CO can be detected
spectroscopically from the ground at both infrared and millimeter
wavelengths, both of these require very high spectral resolving power
and the techniques are not suitable for direct imaging of the CO.

FGS 9961

The Masses and Luminosities of Population II Stars

Very little is currently known concerning the mass-luminosity relation
{MLR} of Population II stars. However, with the advent of the
Hipparcos Catalogue, improved distances to many spectroscopic binaries
known to be Pop II systems are now available. After surveying the
literature and making reasonable estimates of the secondary masses, we
find 13 systems whose minimum separation should be larger than the
resolution limit of FGS1. Because of the expected magnitude
differences and separations, it is not possible to resolve the systems
from the ground. We therefore propose FGS observations of the sample.
In combination with the known spectroscopic orbits and Hipparcos
distances, these observations will yield up to 26 precise stellar mass
determinations of metal-poor stars, if all systems are resolved and
the relative orbits are determined. A combination of FGS data and
ground-based observations will lead to component luminosities and
effective temperatures. This program will allow for a significantly
better understanding of the Pop II main sequence, which in turn will
lead to better ages and distances of the galactic globular clusters,
and a Pop II MLR will be constructed for the first time.

FGS 9879

An Astrometric Calibration of the Cepheid Period-Luminosity Relation

We propose to measure the parallaxes of 10 Galactic Cepheid variables.
When these parallaxes {with 1-sigma precisions of 10% or better} are
added to our recent HST FGS parallax determination of delta Cep
{Benedict et al 2002}, we anticipate determining the Period-Luminosity
relation zero point with a 0.03 mag precision. In addition to
permitting the test of assumptions that enter into other Cepheid
distance determination techniques, this calibration will reintroduce
Galactic Cepheids as a fundamental step in the extragalactic distance
scale ladder. A Period-Luminosity relation derived from solar
metallicity Cepheids can be applied directly to extragalactic solar
metallicity Cepheids, removing the need to bridge with the Large
Magellanic Cloud and its associated metallicity complications.

NIC/NIC3 9865

The NICMOS Parallel Observing Program

We propose to continue managing the NICMOS pure parallel program.
Based on our experience, we are well prepared to make optimal use of
the parallel opportunities. The improved sensitivity and efficiency of
our observations will substantially increase the number of
line-emitting galaxies detected. As our previous work has
demonstrated, the most frequently detected line is Halpha at
0.7z1.9, which provides an excellent measure of current star
formation rate. We will also detect star-forming and active galaxies
in other redshift ranges using other emission lines. The grism
observations will produce by far the best available Halpha luminosity
functions over the crucial--but poorly observed--redshift range where
galaxies appear to have assembled most of their stellar mass. This key
process of galaxy evolution needs to be studied with IR data; we found
that observations at shorter wavelengths appear to have missed a large
fraction of the star-formation in galaxies, due to dust reddening. We
will also obtain deep F110W and F160W images, to examine the space
densities and morphologies of faint red galaxies. In addition to
carrying out the public parallels, we will make the fully reduced and
calibrated images and spectra available on-line, with some
ground-based data for the deepest parallel fields included.

NIC1/NIC2 9844

Brown dwarf atmospheric variability observations

We propose to use NIC1 and NIC2 to study brown dwarfs for atmospheric
variability. We will observe a sequence of early Ts, a detected
variable T2, a T3 and a T4.5. Atmospheric variability, that is
expected by some models for these objects, would constrain the
physical parameters of cloud vertical distribution, horizontal
homogeneity and the dynamics of the very cool atmospheres. The
existence and amplitude of the variations would reveal the size and
distribution of the cloud cover over the surface of the brown dwarf
and test a model explaining the rapidity of the L to T type
transition. The relative color changes would constrain the vertical
extent of dynamical process and the depth in the atmosphere at which
they take place. If a periodicity is measured, the rotational period
of the dwarf could be estimated. HST provides the unique and crucial
opportunity to observe beyond Earth atmospheric variable absorption,
particularly in the important water bands

ACS/HRC 9823

Rings of Uranus: Dynamics, Particle Properties and Shepherding Moons

We propose to image the rings and small inner satellites of Uranus
using the High Resolution Channel of the ACS. The revolutionary
capabilities of the ACS will allow us to address a variety of
important questions relating to ring properties and ring-moon
interactions. Observations at a range of wavelengths and phase angles
will reveal the opposition surges of these rings and moons, providing
information on color and surface structure. Measurements of the ring
in front of the planet will provide complementary information on
optical depth; any variations of optical depth with wavelength will
reveal the rings' poorly-constrained population of embedded dust. The
rings of Uranus are closing rapidly as the planet approaches equinox
in 2007, an event that takes place only every 42 years. Using this
opportunity, our observations will be repeated at different solar and
terrestrial tilt angles; this sequence of images will be particularly
valuable for constraining the physical thickness and packing density
of the rings. We will place particular emphasis on the rotational
variations of the Epsilon Ring, whose radial width {and therefore its
packing density} varies by a factor of five. In addition, a set of
deep exposures targeted just off the planet will enable us to detect
any 4-5 km moons embedded within the ring system. Dynamicists invoke
numerous such moons to "shepherd" the many sharp ring boundaries, so
this will serve as a definitive test of the theory.

ACS/WFC 9788

A Narrow-band Snapshot Survey of Nearby Galaxies

We propose to use ACS/WFC to conduct the first comprehensive HST
narrow-band {H-alpha + [N II]} imaging survey of the central regions
of nearby bulge-dominated disk {S0 to Sbc} galaxies. This survey will
cover, at high angular resolution extending over a large field, an
unprecedented number of galaxies representing many different
environments. It will have important applications for many
astrophysical problems of current interest, and it will be an
invaluable addition to the HST legacy. The observations will be
conducted in snapshot mode, drawing targets from a complete sample of
145 galaxies selected from the Palomar spectroscopic survey of nearby
galaxies. Our group will use the data for two primary applications.
First, we will search for nuclear emission-line disks suitable for
future kinematic measurements with STIS, in order to better constrain
the recently discovered relations between black hole mass and bulge
properties. Preliminary imaging of the type proposed here must be
done, sooner or later, if we are to make progress in this exciting new
field. Second, we will investigate a number of issues related to
extragalactic star formation. Specifically, we will systematically
characterize the properties of H II regions and super star clusters on
all galactic scales, from circumnuclear regions to the large-scale
disk.

STIS 9786

The Next Generation Spectral Library

We propose to continue the Cycle 10 snapshot program to produce a Next
Generation Spectral Library of 600 stars for use in modeling the
integrated light of galaxies and clusters. This program is using the
low dispersion UV and optical gratings of STIS. The library will be
roughly equally divided among four metallicities, very low {[Fe/H] lt
-1.5}, low {[Fe/H] -1.5 to -0.5}, near-solar {[Fe/H] -0.3 to 0.1}, and
super-solar {[Fe/H] gt 0.2}, well-sampling the entire HR-diagram in
each bin. Such a library will surpass all extant compilations and have
lasting archival value, well into the Next Generation Space Telescope
era. Because of the universal utility and community-broad nature of
this venture, we waive the entire proprietary period.

ACS/HRC/WFC 9781

Galaxy Evolution in Action : The Detailed Morphology of Post-Starburst
Galaxy

If galaxies evolve morphologically, then some should be in transition
between late and early types. One proposed evolutionary mechanism is a
galaxy-galaxy merger, but evolved merger products are difficult to
find. Fortunately, spectroscopic surveys have now uncovered large
numbers of E+A galaxies, a class of objects whose post-starburst
spectra, current lack of HI gas, and pressure-supported kinematics
suggest that they are the missing panel that connects the "Toomre
sequence" of merging spirals with normal ellipticals and S0s. Our
first HST observations of five of these galaxies are intriguing. We
find a considerable range of tidally disturbed morphologies, an "E+A"
fundamental plane, significant differences among the color gradients
within 1 kpc {~0.8''}, and populations of bright, blue globular
clusters. These initial results are difficult to interpret, however,
because they are drawn from a small sample of galaxies whose very blue
overall colors may have selected a particular evolutionary path of
E+As. Here we propose for ACS imaging of the remaining 15 E+As from
the Las Campanas Redshift Survey to probe the full range of E+A
properties. The proposed observations will allow us to 1} determine
what fraction of the interactions that lead to E+As destroy all
disk-like structures {and therefore necessarily lead to elliptical
formation}, 2} measure the inner color gradients and constrain the
spatial distribution of stars produced as gas sinks to the center
during a merger, and 3} determine whether these interactions produce
globular clusters in the required numbers to account for the increased
specific frequency of clusters in early-type galaxies.

STIS/CCD/MA1 9778

Probing Outflowing Winds from the Galactic Center

We propose to use two extragalactic sightlines to probe our own
Galaxy's "starburst" wind emanating from the Galactic Center. While
new infrared imaging and spectroscopy have detected massive stars and
very recent {3x10^6 yrs} star formation in the Galactic Center
region, only indirect evidence {e.g., radio loops and arcs, bi-conical
cavity edges seen in the mid-IR} exists for a wind. However, these
winds are routinely detected from starbursts in other galaxies. Far-UV
STIS echelle spectroscopy {E140M} of two targets on either side of the
Galactic Center at {l, b}={350,-33} and {349, 55} will allow us to map
the kinematics of outflowing gas in high ionization species of N V, Si
IV and C IV. Similar spectra of distant {1.5-5 kpc}, bright B stars in
the same regions of the sky will allow us to remove foreground
contaminating components due to the Sco-Cen OB associations. Lower
resolution STIS first-order and FUSE spectra show highly redshifted
gas in N V and O VI respectively along these sightlines; these new
observations will provide three times better spectral resolution {7-10
km/s in the 1185-1580A region} so that the kinematic signature of the
outflow can definitely be detected. The foreground stars will allow us
to determine whether the outflow is from the Galactic Center or the
Sco-Cen OB associations. Absorption line column densities will be used
to estimate the outflowing mass and energy by assuming a metallicity
and ionizing source for the gas.

NIC2 9768

Enabling Coronagraphic Polarimetry with NICMOS

We propose to enable a new mode on NICMOS that combines the powerful
diffracted light rejection of the coronagraph with the diagnostic
power of polarimetry. This new capability will open a new regime in
high contrast imaging that has not been possible before. We will
enable this capability by observing calibration targets with the
coronagraph and the NIC2 polarizers in place. The enabled science
includes, but is not limited to, detection and imaging of
circumstellar debris in polarized light, the polarized emission
surrounding bright planetary nebulae, and the extended structure
around bright active galaxies. A similar capability is possible with
the ACS, and therefore HST would provide the only platform for this
extremely high contrast imaging covering the entire near-UV, optical
and near-infrared wavelength regime.

ACS/WFC 9765

The Dusty ISM Substructure in Nearby Spiral Galaxies

We propose an ACS V&I imaging snapshot survey of all nearby edge-on
spiral galaxies in order to measure the small scale structures in
their dust extinction down to the 10pc scale. Dust and molecular gas
are tightly coupled and therefore HST high resolution reddening maps
can reveal information about the cold ISM phase on a scale
inaccessible from the groundby any other means. We have recently
discovered a sudden change in dust lane properties using ground-based
data; all galaxies with rotation speeds in access of 120km/s show dust
lanes, but none of the slower rotators does. This transition may be
caused by a sudden change in the state of the multiphase ISM, and HST
resolution imaging is needed to fully quantify this effect. Analysis
will consist of full radiative transfer modeling of dust extinction
with realistic, fractal like substructure and power spectrum analysis
of the structure from the global to the 10pc scale. By observing a
sample of galaxies with a range in structural parameters we can
quantify how the cold ISM structure changes as function of radius,
rotation speed, local surface density, et cetera. This information is
duly needed with SIRTF soon providing a wealth of information on dust
absorption, but lacking the resolution to determine the small scale
distribution of the dust.

ACS 9760

ACS Imaging of the Gemini Deep Deep Survey Fields: Galaxy Assembly at
z = 1.5

We are presently carrying out the deepest redshift survey ever
undertaken {the Gemini Deep Deep Survey}. Spectra of extraordinary
quality have been taken in order to obtain redshifts in the so-called
"redshift desert" at 1z2. This redshift range corresponds to the
epoch of peak galaxy formation. In this proposal we request 40 orbits
of ACS imaging to determine the morphologies of 100-120 candidate
early-type galaxies with known redshifts in our survey fields. We seek
to determine if these systems are indeed elliptical galaxies and to
link their morphological states to their spectroscopically determined
ages, recent star-formation histories, and to the evolving global
stellar mass function at the peak epoch of galaxy assembly.

WFPC2 9710

POMS Test Proposal: WFII backup parallel archive proposal

This is a POMS test proposal designed to simulate scientific plans.

WFPC2 9709

POMS Test Proposal: WFII parallel archive proposal

This is the generic target version of the WFPC2 Archival Pure Parallel
program. The program will be used to take parallel images of random
areas of the sky, following the recommendations of the 2002 Parallels
Working Group.

STIS 9708

STIS Pure Parallel Imaging Program: Cycle 11

This is the default archival pure parallel program for STIS during
cycle 11.

ACS 9674

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

STIS 9608

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS 9606

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

WFPC2 9595

WFPC2 CYCLE 11 SUPPLEMENTAL DARKS pt3/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

STIS 9507

STIS/UV snapshot survey of bright AGN

We propose a UV spectroscopic snapshot survey of bright AGN,
quadrupling the number of Seyferts UV spectra and adding dozens of new
quasars, aimed at the following goals: begin enumerate em Finding the
relationship between the intrinsic luminosity of the AGN and the
maximum velocity {and width} of the outflow emanating from it, and
determining the frequency of outflows in low-z AGN as a function of
luminosity. em Surveying IGM absorption line systems in numerous new
sight-lines. em Identifying promising targets for observations with
the future highly sensitive Cosmic Origin Spectrograph. end enumerate
A 35-minute snapshot with exposures in either the G140L or G230L will
yield spectra with a minimum S/N 15 per resolution element at all
wavelengths for all our potential targets. This will allow us to be
sensitive to absorption lines to a limiting equivalent width of 0.3
Angstrom at the 3 Sigma level. In order to facilitate rapid
observational followup, we waive the data proprietary period entirely.

ACS 9480

Cosmic Shear With ACS Pure Parallels

Small distortions in the shapes of background galaxies by foreground
mass provide a powerful method of directly measuring the amount and
distribution of dark matter. Several groups have recently detected
this weak lensing by large-scale structure, also called cosmic shear.
The high resolution and sensitivity of HST/ACS provide a unique
opportunity to measure cosmic shear accurately on small scales. Using
260 parallel orbits in Sloan textiti {F775W} we will measure for the
first time: beginlistosetlength sep0cm setlengthemsep0cm setlength
opsep0cm em the cosmic shear variance on scales 0.7 arcmin, em the
skewness of the shear distribution, and em the magnification effect.
endlist Our measurements will determine the amplitude of the mass
power spectrum sigma_8Omega_m^0.5, with signal-to-noise {s/n} ~ 20,
and the mass density Omega_m with s/n=4. They will be done at small
angular scales where non-linear effects dominate the power spectrum,
providing a test of the gravitational instability paradigm for
structure formation. Measurements on these scales are not possible
from the ground, because of the systematic effects induced by PSF
smearing from seeing. Having many independent lines of sight reduces
the uncertainty due to cosmic variance, making parallel observations
ideal.

STIS/MA2 9474

Intriguing Transient Sources in M87

We have found a remarkable number of transient point sources in M87.
Within the jet itself we have observed dramatic changes in less than a
year. The point sources are seen well in the bluest regions of the
spectrum, where we obtain high spatial resolution, are free from
cosmic ray artifacts and obtain excellent discrimination against the
underlying old, red galaxy. They display a variety of unusual
properties: one is brighter than any in the catalogue of novae in M31;
several are very close to the jet; another hints at rapid variability.
We propose to investigate the population of transient sources in M87
and to probe the intrinsic jet variability on short timescales by
taking images in the near UV. Do the sources show nova-type light
curves? Is there a decline-rate/luminosity relation? If yes, may we
use it for distance estimation, as in Galactic novae, and hence
constrain the still very important Virgo distance. Are there very
rapidly varying sources, flare stars or gravitational lenses? Is the
variable stellar population related to the excess globular cluster
frequency in M87? Is there a population of flickering objects in and
around the jet, which may be responsive emission arising from their
close proximity to a BL Lac nucleus {viewed down the jet axis}? Can we
find variability in the jet itself indicative of light week length
scales?

ACS 9472

A Snapshot Survey for Gravitational Lenses among z = 4.0 Quasars

Over the last few years, the Sloan Digital Sky Survey has
revolutionized the study of high-redshift quasars by discovering over
200 objects with redshift greater than 4.0, more than doubling the
number known in this redshift interval. The sample includes eight of
the ten highest redshift quasars known. We propose a snapshot imaging
survey of a well-defined sample of 250 z 4.0 quasars in order to
find objects which are gravitationally lensed. Lensing models
including magnification bias predict that at least 4% of quasars in a
flux-limited sample at z 4 will be multiply lensed. Therefore this
survey should find of order 10 lensed quasars at high redshift; only
one gravitationally lensed quasar is currently known at z 4. This
survey will provide by far the best sample to date of high-redshift
gravitational lenses. The observed fraction of lenses can put strong
constraints on cosmological models, in particular on the cosmological
constant Lambda. In addition, magnification bias can significantly
bias estimates of the luminosity function of quasars and the evolution
thereof; this work will constrain how important an effect this is, and
thereby give us a better understanding of the evolution of quasars and
black holes at early epochs, as well as constrain models for black
hole formation.

NICMOS 9360

Paschen-alpha Imaging of a SIRTF-Selected Nearby Galaxy Sample

We propose to carry out a NICMOS snapshot survey in the Paschen-alpha
{PAlpha} emission line and H-band of the sample of galaxies being
observed at 3.5 -- 160 microns as part of SIRTF Nearby Galaxies Survey
{SINGS} and a related guaranteed time survey of starburst galaxies.
The PAlpha images, accessible only from HST, will be combined with
groundbased HAlpha imaging to measure the extinction in the
star-forming centers of these galaxies, and obtain robust, extinction-
corrected maps of the massive star formation rate {SFR}. The PAlpha
data by themselves will provide reliable `extinction- free' SFRs, and
a cross-calibration of the {dust--affected} HAlpha-- and UV--based
SFRs. The PAlpha--based SFR measurements will extend the SFR-vs.-gas
density law {Schmidt--law} to surface densities at least 30 times
higher than what is accessible using HAlpha--based SFR measurements
alone, bridging the gap between normal galaxies and IR--luminous
starbursts. Furthermore, the combination of the HST PAlpha images with
the SIRTF images and spectra, as well as ancillary ground--based
UBVRIJHK images and GALEX UV images being obtained as part of the
SINGS project, will provide a definitive study of the radiative
transfer of starlight and dust heating in star--forming galaxies. The
processed NICMOS images will be incorporated into the public SINGS
Legacy Data Archive, to enable scores of follow-up studies by the
astronomical community at large.

FGS 9335

Masses of Pre-Main Sequence Binaries

We propose to continue to map the orbits of young star binaries in the
Taurus and Ophiuchus star forming regions. Our goal is to measure
their masses dynamically. This is important because there are still no
low mass young stars with reliably known masses so calculations of
their evolution to the main sequence are uncalibrated.

STIS 9331

Variable Interstellar Absorption toward HD 219188 --- Probing the
Structure of an Interstellar

Within the last 10 years, strong, narrow Na I absorption has appeared
at v_SUN ~ -38 km s^-1 toward the halo star HD 219188; that absorption
has continued to strengthen, by a factor 2--3, over the past three
years. The line of sight appears to be moving into/through a
relatively cold, quiescent intermediate velocity {IV} cloud, due to
the 13 mas/year proper motion of HD 219188. We propose to monitor the
continuing changes in the IV absorption toward HD 219188 over the next
three years with STIS echelle spectra --- making use of the rich
diagnostics provided by the UV lines of various neutral and singly
ionized species to determine abundances/depletions and physical
conditions {temperature, density, ionization} as functions of depth
within the cloud. In addition to providing a unique view of the
detailed structure of an interstellar cloud, these data will yield
constraints on grain scattering parameters {from the variation of
ionization with depth} and on any dependence of depletion on local
density.

GTO/ACS 9291

Formation of High Redshift Radio Galaxies

This programme uses ACS observations of high redshift radio galaxies
{HzRGs} to investigate massive galaxy and cluster formation in the
early Universe. By carrying out deep observations of a few z 3.8
targets the following four questions will be studied: {1} Are HzRGs
massive central-cluster galaxies formed through hierarchical assembly
of Lyman break galaxies? Detailed brightness distributions colors and
morphologies of HzRG clumps will be measured and compared with those
of Lyman break galaxies. {2} Are HzRGs located in dense {proto-}
clusters and if so what are the properties of the associated
large-scale structures? Lyman alpha excesses, colors and morphologies
of objects in field will be used to search for companion galaxies of
HzRGs. {3} What are the origin and fate of giant gas halos associated
with HzRGs and what role do they play in the formation of massive
galaxies? The morphologies and locations of Ly-alpha clumps will be
compared with those of continuum clumps. {4} Is nuclear activity a
source of star formation in the early Universe? The properties of
continuum and Ly-alpha clumps along will be compared in relation to
the radio jet.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8792

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 3

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NICMOS 8791

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 2

[...]

STIS/CCD/MA1 10341

The D/H Ratio in C/2002 T7 {LINEAR}

Measuring the D/H ratio in comets is one of the most important
scientific objectives in planetary science. A comparison of the D/H
ratio in comets to the value measured in the Earth's oceans can be
used to assess whether cometary impacts contributed significantly to
the delivery of water and other volatiles to the Earth. A comparison
of the cometary ratio with the value in other solar system reservoirs
{e.g., in the solar wind and the atmospheres of the Giant Planets},
and to values observed in the interstellar medium, can be used to
determine how primitive cometary matter is. Our recent detection of
the deuterium Lyman-alpha line in C/2001 Q4 {NEAT} demonstrates that
HST has a new and potentially important role to play in this exciting
area of research. Fortuitously, another moderately bright comet,
C/2002 T7 {LINEAR}, is well-placed for HST observations in early June,
and we request 8 orbits of HST time to measure deuterium in this
comet. If our observations are successful, the number of comets for
which D/H has been measured will be nearly doubled.

S/C 10336

2-Gyro Reacquisition Test

This proposal will test the software that will be used to perform
target reacquisition when HST only has two working gyroscopes.

ACS/WFC 10268

Recovery of three faint Kuiper Belt Objects discovered with HST

We propose 6 orbits to make ACS/WFC follow-up observations of three
faint Kuiper Belt Objects {KBOs} that we discovered in the Large Cycle
11 program GO 9433 {G. Bernstein, PI; Bernstein et al. 2004}. These
KBOs are the faintest -- and therefore smallest -- KBOs known. Two of
these objects can be recovered {and the third easily recovered and its
colors probed} only with HST. Any future studies of small KBOs will
require knowledge of our three faint KBOs. With the proposed
observations, the locations of these KBOs will be known quite well
until after first light for JWST. Without the proposed observations,
these three small KBOs will be effectively lost. This small program
represents a small investment of HST time to solidify the legacy of
the Bernstein et al. Large GO program. With the proposed observations,
we will be able to determine with certainty the dynamical classes of
these three KBOs, testing the hypothesis that small KBOs are
predominantly classical KBOs. We will also test the suggestion that
classical KBOs are uniformly quite red. Lastly, our observations will
enable physical studies {e.g., spectroscopy} with JWST a decade from
now. All these measurements will provide important evidence for
theories on the formation and evolution of the Solar System.

WFPC2 10073

Earth Flats

This proposal monitors flatfield stability. This proposal obtains
sequences of Earth streak flats to construct high quality flat fields
for the WFPC2 filter set. These flat fields will allow mapping of the
OTA illumination pattern and will be used in conjuction with previous
internal and external flats to generate new pipeline superflats. These
Earth flats will complement the Earth flat data obtained during cycles
4-11.

WFPC2 10071

WFPC2 CYCLE 12 Supplemental Darks Part 3/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10060

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

ACS/HRC 10050

ACS Earth Flats

High signal sky flats will be obtained by observing the bright Earth
with the HRC and WFC. These observations will be used to verify the
accuracy of the flats currently used by the pipeline and will provide
a comparison with flats derived via other techniques: L-flats from
stellar observations, sky flats from stacked GO observations, and
internal flats using the calibration lamps. Weekly coronographic
monitoring is required to assess the changing position of the spots.

STIS/CCD 10020

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 10018

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

NIC3 10014

Spectrophotometry of FAINT IR STANDARDS

Cycle 12 is an especially opportune time to establish companion faint
IR standards for WFC3, because the NICMOS proposal 9998 includes
observations in cycle 12 of all 6 of the primary standard stars in
order to establish the absolute flux calibration of the three grism
modes to 1%. In addition to WFC3, these new faint secondary IR
standards will be a significant step towards establishing flux
standards for JWST, as well as for SNAP, SIRTF, and SOFIA. The 6
primary standards included in Propid=9998 are in the range of V=11-13
and include three hot pure hydrogen WDs and 3 solar analogs. We
propose to establish new IR faint standards in the 15-17 mag range.
Appropriate spectral types for faint IR standards are solar analogs
and hotter WDs. Many M type and cooler stars are variable, so that
long term monitoring is required before committing HST time to such
cool stars. A few G type and WD faint stars will provide a set of
faint IR standards with minimal sky and color coverage. Existing HST
images of any candidates can provide verification that there are no
contaminating stars above the 1% level within 2-3arcsec. However, the
ACS calibration field in 47 Tuc is too crowded for linking to ground
based observations. If the other candidates are selected from SDSS or
other ground based data, then the NICMOS and STIS acquisition images
can provide this verification, as well as correction factors for
arbitrary photometric size apertures. The SNAP team is providing the
northern faint stars using unreleased SDSS data. In addition, the
extreme coolest types such as L and T stars have proven essential to
sorting out the long wavelength QE of ACS; both the ACS and eventually
WFC3 calibrations could be improved with knowledge of L and T SEDs in
the region beyond 0.95 microns. In addition to the primary purpose of
ACS QE vs. wavelength and broad band F814W and F850LP calibrations,
these three stars in C.} below are at the flux level required for WFC3
grism calibration. The brighter M, L, and T standard stars will each
require a NICMOS orbit, while each faint standard requires two Nicmos
orbits and one STIS orbit for complete wavelength coverage. The STIS
spectra of the M and L stars are done as ACS calibrations in cycles 12
and 11, respectively. An additional faint WD has already been proposed
for 2 Nicmos and 4 STIS orbits in their cycle 12 programs already. See
Table 1 for a summary of the 18 orbit allocation for this program
10014. Bright stars in the V=0-6 mag range would be useful for direct
comparisons to NIST calibrated lamps. This comparison would offer the
opportunity to compare two fundamentally different realms of physics:
pure hydrogen stellar models and laboratory black body physics.
Unfortunately, the Nicmos bright limit is V=~8 for a solar analog and
a 1s exposure without defocussing the OTA. The primary Sloan standard
BD+17d4708 at V=9.9 is safely fainter than this Nicmos limit.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTAR 9442: At AOS, GS Acquisition (1,3,1) @156/15:45:40Z resulted in
FL backup on FGS 3 due to SSLE on FGS 1. Preceding FHST FM Updates
showed very low errors and the following FHST Map was not able to be
generated due to LOS. Under investigation.

HSTAR 9443: GS acquisition (3,2,3) @ 157/10:59:30Z required multiple
attempts to reach FL backup due to SRLE on FGS 3. ESB message AOChex
was observed indicating Coarse Mode Angle Check fail. Prior FHST FM
Updates @ 157/10:00:08Z and 10:02:53Z showed good attitude error
vector. FHST Map @ 157/11:12:19Z showed 3-axis (RSS) error value ~
18.00 arcsec. Subsequent GS Reacquisition (3,2,3) @ 157/12:13:33Z
resulted in FL backup. Under investigation.

COMPLETED OPS REQs:
17172-0 Battery 4 Capacity Test @ 156/1435z
17186-0 GENSLEW for prop 10341, slot 13 @ 156/2041z
17187-0 GENSLEW for prop 10341, slot 14 @ 156/2043z
17188-0 GENSLEW for prop 10341, slot 1 @ 156/2044z
17189-0 GENSLEW for prop 10341, slot 2 @ 156/2045z
17190-0 GENSLEW for prop 10341, slot 3 @ 156/2047z
17191-0 GENSLEW for prop 10341, slot 4 @ 156/2048z
17192-0 GENSLEW for prop 10341, slot 5 @ 156/2050z
17193-0 GENSLEW for prop 10431, slot 6 @ 156/2051z

OPS NOTES EXECUTED:
0900-1 COMMAND PROBLEM @ 158/0922z
0900-1 COMMAND PROBLEM @ 158/1759z
0916-0 Tabulation of Slew Attitude Error (Miss-distance) @ 159/0043z

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL FAILURE TIMES
FGS
GSacq 34 34
FGS REacq 11 11
FHST Update 60 60
LOSS of LOCK

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

Successfully performed on-orbit Target Reacquisition test 156/14:14Z -
16:30Z. All activities were conducted via the SMS, no real-time
commanding was involved. The test was monitored and the proper
sequence of events was seen in the FGS quaternions, as expected and as
could be observed, given the real-time contacts.

Successfully returned Battery 4 to FSW 6-battery system and restored
EPS subsystem to its nominal on-orbit configuration @ 156/14:24Z.

RMGA routinely scheduled power cycle (ON/OFF) scheduled 159/12:10Z -
13:10Z to provide lubrication to the gyro bearings (OR 17185 with
attached ROP PO-07).