Sun Synchronous Orbit

Old March 26th 14, 03:10 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Smit Kamal

Default Sun Synchronous Orbit

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:48:35 AM UTC+5:30, David Spain wrote:
On 3/25/2014 2:21 PM, Smit Kamal wrote:

On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:46:27 PM UTC+5:30, David Spain wrote:

HR4550 (aka. Groombridge 1830)...

Hye Dave

Thankyou for your help.

I was asking about satellites at an altitude of 800 kilometres which is in sun sychronous orbit.

Smit,

Sorry I was not being very helpful.

I was joking about your response time.

Either you are very busy, have an extremely slow USENET service, or are

very far away.

However if the latter, at one month shy of 1 year for a response, puts

you at slightly 0.5 light-year away, so you've moved significantly

closer! You are no longer at Sirius but somewhere in the Oort Cloud!

Just kidding (I think), if not, I'll see your response in February

2015.... :-)

Dave

Hye Dave,
lol..I am now getting close to planet earth ...actually I did not get any mail about the replies in this group which caused my delays :P..apologies for the delay

Old March 27th 14, 04:05 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Alain Fournier

On 03/24/2014 10:35 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:29:41 PM UTC+5:30, Alain Fournier wrote:
On 04/17/2013 8:06 PM, Steve Willner wrote:

In article ,
Smit Kamal writes:
I was wondering if a satellite is in sun synchronous orbit and
if it completes 14 orbits per day then will the satellite be passing over
one particular location on the earth twice a day.ie 7 am in morning and 7 p
m at evening or will it pass over one location on the earth only once.

Twice a day, once going northbound and once southbound. Imagine
yourself near the Sun looking back at the Earth with the satellite
going round. From that perspective, the Earth rotates once in 24
hours, and a given spot on Earth (at least a spot not near either
pole) passes under the satellite path twice.

As I said in an other post, if it passes exactly over your head while
northbound, it is unlikely to past exactly over your head while southbound.

Of course, because not all days are 24 hours according to apparent solar
time, if the satellite passes exactly over your head, it is unlikely to
pass again exactly over your head 24 hours later. So one can assume less
precision and then yes, there will be one orbit where it will pass "not
too far" from your location on the southbound leg, but in that case "not
too far" could be about 13 degrees of longitude for a satellite doing 14
orbits per day.

Alain Fournier

could you please explain the eclipse patterns in the sunsynchronous orbits which are not experiencing van allen radiations and the altitude is around 800km.

I'm not sure what it is you want to know. There is not much very special
about sun synchronous orbits with respect to going into Earth's shadow
except for the fact that if the orbit is over or near the dawn/dusk line
then the satellite is never in Earth's shadow.

Note that you can be in a continuously sunlit orbit without being in a
sun synchronous orbit.

Alain Fournier

Old June 15th 14, 02:56 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Smit Kamal

Smit Kamal writes:

[...]

Thankyou Alain
That was helpful. I wanted to know about the time spent by the satellite in eclipse per day or per year when it is in a polar sun synchronous orbit with 98 degree inclination
Thankyou
Regards
Smit Kamal