Space Race Driven By The Nuclear Threat - Now A Mainstream Understanding

Old February 29th 12, 10:36 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones

Default Space Race Driven By The Nuclear Threat - Now A Mainstream Understanding

David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
Sputnik was a hollowed-out nuclear weapon???

rick jones

Well it had the proper geometry...

A sphere was/is the proper geometry for the warhead on an ICBM?

rick jones
Old February 29th 12, 11:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Rick Jones wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
Sputnik was a hollowed-out nuclear weapon???

rick jones

Well it had the proper geometry...

A sphere was/is the proper geometry for the warhead on an ICBM?

Tisk, tisk; you said nuclear weapon, you did not say warhead...

;-)

Dave

Old March 1st 12, 02:54 AM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones

David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
Sputnik was a hollowed-out nuclear weapon???

rick jones

Well it had the proper geometry...

A sphere was/is the proper geometry for the warhead on an ICBM?

Tisk, tisk; you said nuclear weapon, you did not say warhead...

I was influenced by the OP's quote of whatshisname but didn't play
accurately enough with my own terminology I guess:

"So, we fear them because they put up Sputnik, which by the way,
people forget, was an emptied-out casing of an Inter- Continental
Ballistic Missile, alright."

and

"but it was a ballistic missile head, without explosives, so that was
a signal"

rick
There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision. - Joubert
Old March 1st 12, 06:29 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Fred J. McCall:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
Sputnik was a hollowed-out nuclear weapon???

rick jones

Well it had the proper geometry...

A sphere was/is the proper geometry for the warhead on an ICBM?

Tisk, tisk; you said nuclear weapon, you did not say warhead...

;-)

And he certainly didn't say RV, which is something else again.

Seeing how spheres *were* used by the Soviet Union, I'd say that it is
a totally feasible geometry for the weapon, the warhead AND the RV.

~ CT
Old March 1st 12, 04:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Stuf4 wrote:
From Fred J. McCall:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
Sputnik was a hollowed-out nuclear weapon???
rick jones
Well it had the proper geometry...
A sphere was/is the proper geometry for the warhead on an ICBM?
Tisk, tisk; you said nuclear weapon, you did not say warhead...
;-)

And he certainly didn't say RV, which is something else again.

Seeing how spheres *were* used by the Soviet Union, I'd say that it is
a totally feasible geometry for the weapon, the warhead AND the RV.

~ CT

Well getting one 1 out of 3 right ain't bad, esp. if you don't particularly
care where that weapon comes down....

Fred, you can take it from here, or not....

Dave
Old March 1st 12, 04:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Joseph Nebus wrote:
Sane people, however, do dispute the idea that the Saturn V
was built to significantly advance intercontinental ballistic missiles,
since the Saturn V would be a spectacularly dumb choice for ICBM, and
work to advance the state of the art in nuclear-bomb-carrying-rockets
would be sensibly done in nuclear-bomb-carrying-rocket programs, rather
than on Apollo/Saturn.

I was not aware that anyone outside the "moon conspiracy" crowd that ever
might have thought otherwise. As for those folks, there's really no point in
arguing religious doctrine.

Dave
Old March 1st 12, 04:51 PM posted to sci.space.history
Paul Madarasz[_2_]

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:25:50 -0500, David Spain
wrote, perhaps among other things:

Stuf4 wrote:
From Fred J. McCall:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
Sputnik was a hollowed-out nuclear weapon???
rick jones
Well it had the proper geometry...
A sphere was/is the proper geometry for the warhead on an ICBM?
Tisk, tisk; you said nuclear weapon, you did not say warhead...
;-)
And he certainly didn't say RV, which is something else again.

Seeing how spheres *were* used by the Soviet Union, I'd say that it is
a totally feasible geometry for the weapon, the warhead AND the RV.

~ CT

Well getting one 1 out of 3 right ain't bad, esp. if you don't particularly
care where that weapon comes down....

"That's not my department, says Wernher von Braun."

--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey
Old March 1st 12, 07:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From David Spain:
Stuf4 wrote:

Seeing how spheres *were* used by the Soviet Union, I'd say that it is
a totally feasible geometry for the weapon, the warhead AND the RV.

Well getting one 1 out of 3 right ain't bad, esp. if you don't particularly
care where that weapon comes down....

Fred, you can take it from here, or not....

And the Soviets must not particularly care where their cosmonauts come
down.
Logic, you can take it from here. Or not.

~ CT
Old March 1st 12, 07:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Fred J. McCall:
Stuf4 wrote:
From Fred J. McCall:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:
Sputnik was a hollowed-out nuclear weapon???

rick jones

Well it had the proper geometry...

A sphere was/is the proper geometry for the warhead on an ICBM?

Tisk, tisk; you said nuclear weapon, you did not say warhead...

;-)

And he certainly didn't say RV, which is something else again.

Seeing how spheres *were* used by the Soviet Union, I'd say that it is
a totally feasible geometry for the weapon, the warhead AND the RV.

I take it they don't let you do engineering or design work...

Open-minded thinkers who know what is feasible - instead of just doing
things out of habit - make better engineers and designers than those
who lack such attributes.

Of course, as is repeatedly demonstrated on this forum, there are many
who will not hold such a view. It is FAR more comfortable to keep
one's thought processes so restrained as to remain well within the
confines of the perceived 'box'.

....and if anyone comes along to challenge limited thinking, do not so
much as peek outside your box, for therein lies the discomfort.

*truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Thomas Jefferson

(Well said, TJ.)

~ CT
Old March 2nd 12, 07:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Fred J. McCall:
Stuf4 wrote:
From David Spain:
Stuf4 wrote:

Seeing how spheres *were* used by the Soviet Union, I'd say that it is
a totally feasible geometry for the weapon, the warhead AND the RV.

Well getting one 1 out of 3 right ain't bad, esp. if you don't particularly
care where that weapon comes down....

Fred, you can take it from here, or not....

And the Soviets must not particularly care where their cosmonauts come
down.
Logic, you can take it from here. *Or not.

Soyuz reentry module isn't a sphere.

Before you try 'logic', try 'reality'.

I never stated whether or not the Soyuz RV was a sphere. My point was
that a sphere is a perfectly feasible geometry for an RV.

No rebuttals posted (as of yet, at least) have done anything to
convince me that a sphere is not a feasible shape for a nuke weapon,
warhead as well as an RV. I remain in my certainty that they are.
And the Soviets went a long way to convince me of that.

Very early on here in my experience of the forum that is
sci.space.history, I made the point that it was the very design
decision of the US, led by Max Faget, to go with a blunt-body instead
of a spherical geometry that enabled the US to win the race to send
people to the Moon.

Yes, Max deserves credit for the US resounding winning of the space
race. The reasoning is explained in that original post from over a
decade ago. I can repeat it here if anyone is interested.

I was very glad to have had the opportunity to engage Max in
intriguing conversation. I can't remember right now whether I
explained to him how his effort won that race. I know with certainty
that I *wanted* to tell him. But whether I actually expressed that to
him - which takes a bit of explaining - seems a bit hazy. I hope I
had posted to the forum in past years that I did tell him. (Usenet's
memory again is very solid.) And of course, it would be very easy for
him or those around him to draw the same simple conclusion, so I like
to think that he had complete awareness of this.

~ CT