Space policy stuff from 1976ish

Old December 28th 09, 09:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Space policy stuff from 1976ish

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
You know, if
one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and
they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them.
And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in...
Oh wait... wrong song.

Some sort of prevert mutiny if you ask me... ;-)

Pat
Old December 28th 09, 10:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:
BTW all those C.W. McCall songs are on 8 track, so unless Pat's able
to resurrect my combo 8-track player, CB radio and PA sound system,
he's safe.

The only 8-track tape the family ever owned was the one that came as a
demo with our 1978 Thunderbird...a truly horrid car that somehow managed
to combine a giant exterior with a tiny rear seat and trunk, something
like a reverse TARDIS.
Driving this mushy monster was like playing a video game; there was so
little connection with the outside world through its soundproof and
overly shock-absorbed exterior that one swore a head-on collision with a
18-wheeler would merely result in the windshield suddenly displaying
"Deposit another quarter".
Note two things about this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFFevpYOT-g
1.) The girl has that hypnotized look that only a lobotomy, too many
Quaaludes, or driving a late 70's Thunderbird can give you.
2.) The only way it's going to accelerate that fast is if you strap a
couple of JATO bottles to its ass.
Did you hear about the guy who _did_ strap a couple of JATO bottles to
his Thunderturd and took it out on a desert road?
He was fined for doing 60 in a 55 mph zone.

Pat
Old December 29th 09, 03:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

Pat Flannery writes:

2.) The only way it's going to accelerate that fast is if you strap a couple
of JATO bottles to its ass.

Sometime in the 70's all Ford speedometers refused to go above 85.
Something to do with making the 55 mph national speed limit consume at
least 1/2 the speed-o-meter reading.

Of course for the V8 models I always claimed it was more relevant
at reading the % of your fuel tank consumed after an hour of driving...

;-)

Dave

Did you hear about the guy who _did_ strap a couple of JATO bottles to his
Thunderturd and took it out on a desert road?
He was fined for doing 60 in a 55 mph zone.

I was always partial to this Ford. Note the handy recepticle for your
'Back To The Future' plutonium tube...

http://8000vueltas.com/wp-content/up...rd-nucleon.jpg

same vehicle with fins:

http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...rd_Nucleon.jpg

Pat,

Your problem with cars from the 70's probably stems from an experience
similar to this fellows, where she probably didn't let off the gas
until you were screaming like a little girl for her to slow down,
this explains a lot I think....

;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKwyY...eature=related
Old December 29th 09, 07:00 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

David Spain wrote:

I was always partial to this Ford. Note the handy recepticle for your
'Back To The Future' plutonium tube...

http://8000vueltas.com/wp-content/up...rd-nucleon.jpg

same vehicle with fins:

http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...rd_Nucleon.jpg

I seem to recall my older brother having a model kit of some sort of
atomic-powered car when I was a kid.
How would you like to be in a rear-end collision with a Nucleon, and
have the reactor come flying through your windshield?
The Army took a crack at designing atomic-powered tanks in the 1950's
also. This would be a whole new approach to crew protection...would the
enemy dare shoot at it? ;-)
Of course, if someone were to make a self-propelled nuclear reactor, you
just _know_ who it would be: http://englishrussia.com/?p=2355

Pat