Airplane-like first stage

Old August 17th 09, 05:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_158_]

Default Airplane-like first stage

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
I think more the issue is the number of signals. With all the time
I've spent in caves, I've never had a bat fly into my hair, like the old
myth.

I've had several of them fly within a foot or so of me while out star
watching, but never had one collide with me either.

Yeah. Once had a bat flying back and forth between me and another guy in a
tight crawl in a cave.

It was a bit confused, but never hit either of us.

(Let's see, if we each crawled at 3 ft/sec, and the bat flew 10 ft/sec and
was flying back and forth between us with only an ince to spare and the
crawl was 20 feet long and.... Oh never mind.)

You may not want too many of them around, as they are quite prone to
carrying rabies.

Yes and no. The colonies that do get it tend burn through quickly. I
suspect more lifes are saved by bat control of the population than die
due to rabies.

Bat control of the _what_ population?

Errr, sorry, insect population.

Or is this something about the undead?

Pat

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old August 17th 09, 07:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"Pat Flannery" flanner@daktel
I've had several of them fly within a foot or so of me while out star
watching, but never had one collide with me either.

Yeah. Once had a bat flying back and forth between me and another guy in a
tight crawl in a cave.

It was a bit confused, but never hit either of us.

You got me wondering about something here; I wonder if they hang around
people on purpose, due to the fact that some flying insects they can eat
will be attracted to people, or that people moving around in vegetation
might stir up flying insects for them to feed on?
Since we have no caves around here, where they stay during the daytime
is a good question; I assume they stay in cavities in old trees and in
abandoned buildings.

Pat
Old August 17th 09, 09:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_161_]

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"Pat Flannery" flanner@daktel
I've had several of them fly within a foot or so of me while out star
watching, but never had one collide with me either.

Yeah. Once had a bat flying back and forth between me and another guy in
a tight crawl in a cave.

It was a bit confused, but never hit either of us.

You got me wondering about something here; I wonder if they hang around
people on purpose, due to the fact that some flying insects they can eat
will be attracted to people, or that people moving around in vegetation
might stir up flying insects for them to feed on?

I doubtt it. In this case we were in its environment in any case.

And some of the more massive bat hiberculeums had no real human presence
(Carlsbad comes to mind.)

Since we have no caves around here, where they stay during the daytime is
a good question; I assume they stay in cavities in old trees and in
abandoned buildings.

Or not so abandoned buildings.

Pat

Old August 17th 09, 10:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
You got me wondering about something here; I wonder if they hang around
people on purpose, due to the fact that some flying insects they can eat
will be attracted to people, or that people moving around in vegetation
might stir up flying insects for them to feed on?

I doubtt it. In this case we were in its environment in any case.

And some of the more massive bat hiberculeums had no real human presence
(Carlsbad comes to mind.)

I was referring to the ones you'd encounter in the wild at night, not
in the caves.
Having people come into their caves must really throw them a curveball
in regards to their behavior, especially if you are deep enough in where
there's no light and large mammals wouldn't be expected to go.
Then there would be the caver's flashlights, which they would also
find confusing in their normally dark world during the daylight hours.

Pat
Old August 17th 09, 11:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_162_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
e...
Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
[...]

More generally it's the heat and to some extent the noise. If it's during
the summer when bugs are plentiful, it's not really an issue. During the
winter or times when bugs are less plentiful, we'll avoid "bat" caves
altogether.

Even so, when in a cave and seeing a bat, we'll warn beginners to be quiet
and not to get too near it, especially if they are using a carbide lamp.
Despite the obvious burning danger, the heat can wake them up and confuse
them.

Pat

Old August 18th 09, 03:00 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_165_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
e...
Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Batts are amazing creatures when it comes to their echolocation
abilities, but far from perfect.

I saw one run into a chain link fence once.

I do wonder if the flat surface on an F-117 could really redirect a
soundwave so successfully that not enough energy was returned to a bat's
ears. I tend to doubt it. But I suspect if it's true, it had more to do
with the shape than the paint.

If that were the case, you would think they would run into all sorts of
man-made objects with flat surfaces that weren't ninety degrees on to
their sonar.

One would think, but to a certain extent, I suspect most structures have
enough variation to make it work for them.

That said, I suspect the book was just plain wrong.

Pat

Old August 18th 09, 04:21 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Even so, when in a cave and seeing a bat, we'll warn beginners to be quiet
and not to get too near it, especially if they are using a carbide lamp.

And especially if it suddenly begins speaking to you in a Transylvanian
accent and reminding you that you entered the cave freely and of your
own will.

Pat