ASTRO: Cocoon Galaxy NGC 4490 and NGC 4485

Old April 9th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H

Default ASTRO: Cocoon Galaxy NGC 4490 and NGC 4485

Did not see my posting, so here's another try..

Seeing was not to bad last night, transparicy still not so good..
36 x 90 sec.
Dark corrected.
10"SCT
Homebuild CCD camera.
Some MAXIMDL
CS2

Strange looking galaxy, a bit of a mess..

Thx for looking
Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coccon_galaxy.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	624
Old April 9th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

D van den H wrote:

Did not see my posting, so here's another try..

Seeing was not to bad last night, transparicy still not so good..
36 x 90 sec.
Dark corrected.
10"SCT
Homebuild CCD camera.
Some MAXIMDL
CS2

Strange looking galaxy, a bit of a mess..

Thx for looking
Dirk

Both made it to my server. Usenet amazes me sometimes. A post won't
hit your own server but show up on the other side of the world just fine.

That's another one on my to-do list. Looks like yet another clear night
and a third night of a dead computer power supply. They have one coming
at least. I can't even process as all my images are on that computer
and now the supply is totally deceased.

What chip do you have in your camera?

Rick

Old April 10th 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H

Rick,
This is the spec of the CCD chip:
CCD type: Sony ICX083AL SuperHAD CCD with ultra low dark current and
vertical anti-blooming.
CCD pixel data: Pixel size: 11.6 x 11.2uM, image format 752 x 580 pixels
(High Res. mode), or 23.2 x 22.4uM.
CCD size: Imaging area: 8.7mm (horizontal) x 6.5mm (vertical).
Spectral response: Peak response at 520nM (Green), 50% at 400nM (Violet) and
670nM (Near infra-red).
Quantum efficiency: Approx. 65% peak at 520nM.
Readout noise: Less than15 electrons RMS.
Full-well capacity: Greater than 300,000 e-.
Anti-blooming: Overload margin greater than 800x
Dark current: Dark frame saturation time greater than 100 hours. Less than
0.1 electrons/ second at +10C ambient.
Data format: Full 16 bits.

So far i enjoy using this chip, Originally they come from a Sony broadcast
camera where they are mounted on a optical block one for each color (3 in a
block).
I have a couple of these block here... perhaps build a super CCD head for
the three colors..

reg
Dirk

Old April 12th 07, 08:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Thanks. The images looked like those from a Sony chip but the ones
Starlight Xpress uses in that 752x580 range are a bit over 8 micron in
size. That didn't seem to match your image scale. Now it makes sense.
Nice deep wells help a lot and good response curve is nice when moving
into color. It should work pretty well for longer exposures.

When I started with the 6" f/4 a couple weeks short of a year ago now.
I could go 5 minutes without guiding. At F/4 that's plenty long! It
goes deeper for galaxies than the 14" does using 10 minute sub frames
binned 2x2 (equivalent to f/5). The longer focal length gives a lot
more detail however. Seems no matter what you do in life it's all a
compromise!

Rick