Anyone help identify mystery object?

Old August 12th 04, 10:53 AM
roadrunner

Default Anyone help identify mystery object?

Looking for help as to exactly what I observed on a sunday morning in the
spring of 1980.

At approx. 6am looking out of my window at home in the west end of Glasgow
I saw a sort of dusty object travelling roughly from west to east in a
slightly arced trajectory.

It was clearly inside the earths atmosphere and left a trail as it moved
across the sky.The trail was transparent and dusty and began to evoporate
after maybe 10 mins or so.

Non astronomical person here so forgive the ignorance!

Thanks in advance.

DH

Old August 12th 04, 11:17 AM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

roadrunner wrote:

Looking for help as to exactly what I observed on a sunday morning in the
spring of 1980.

At approx. 6am looking out of my window at home in the west end of Glasgow
I saw a sort of dusty object travelling roughly from west to east in a
slightly arced trajectory.

It was clearly inside the earths atmosphere and left a trail as it moved
across the sky.The trail was transparent and dusty and began to evoporate
after maybe 10 mins or so.

Non astronomical person here so forgive the ignorance!

Thanks in advance.

DH

nightbat

Yep, that had to be alien Darla since she/he has been admittedly
flying around for many many years. No doubt about it since you so
clearly described the time period and arced trajectory. Yes, their space
ship may become dusty because of all that travel time and so few alien
space craft car wash stations that could possibly accommodate them. The
normal earth based brush washing kind won't harm the outer titanium
chromium aluminum gold multi element composite ship shell but hitting
and breaking the block stone regular car doorway on the way out causes a
lot of dust to settle back on the just washed finish. Too bad it was
early morning when you first spotted the UFO, for if it had been earlier
at night you might have been able to see the blinking red tail lights
heading for the USA. Then again did you check to see if any of your
neighbors might have been burning leaves. Next time you possibly see
Darla and her/him space ship try taking a picture, it lasts longer. You
should really look into getting a pocket UFO detector, saves a lot of
guess work out of what may be flying around your neighborhood.

the nightbat

Old August 12th 04, 12:29 PM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

roadrunner wrote:

I think you`re way off base with your suggestion nightbat.
Definately not a flying saucer,clearly some sort of natural phenomena.

PS. I take it your an American.

nightbat

Ok roadrunner, then let's go with the natural phenomena of
perhaps neighbor early morning leaf burning, just that if you really saw
Darla's ship why back in 1980, you are in a select group of folks. You
can take it any way you like, but yes, I'm an American, and you are a
Brit, Warner Bros. Hollywood cartoon figure, or something else?

the nightbat

"nightbat" wrote in message
nightbat wrote

Old August 12th 04, 02:01 PM
John Zinni

"roadrunner" wrote in message

Looking for help as to exactly what I observed on a sunday morning in the
spring of 1980.

At approx. 6am looking out of my window at home in the west end of

Glasgow
I saw a sort of dusty object travelling roughly from west to east in a
slightly arced trajectory.

It was clearly inside the earths atmosphere and left a trail as it moved
across the sky.The trail was transparent and dusty and began to evoporate
after maybe 10 mins or so.

Non astronomical person here so forgive the ignorance!

Thanks in advance.

DH

MILES H. (1981):
THE MAJOR FIREBALL OF 1980 APRIL 9
J. British Astron. Assoc. 91, 278-281
FIREBALL 1980 APR 09
http://www.imo.net/bib/fireve98.html

(Apr 9th was a Wednesday though.)

Old August 12th 04, 03:02 PM
roadrunner

I knew it.Your sophisticated humour was a dead giveaway. LOL
"nightbat" wrote in message
nightbat wrote

roadrunner wrote:

I think you`re way off base with your suggestion nightbat.
Definately not a flying saucer,clearly some sort of natural phenomena.

PS. I take it your an American.

nightbat

Ok roadrunner, then let's go with the natural phenomena of
perhaps neighbor early morning leaf burning, just that if you really saw
Darla's ship why back in 1980, you are in a select group of folks. You
can take it any way you like, but yes, I'm an American, and you are a
Brit, Warner Bros. Hollywood cartoon figure, or something else?

the nightbat

"nightbat" wrote in message
nightbat wrote

Old August 12th 04, 03:08 PM
roadrunner

Perhaps 3 or 4 minutes.My immediate impression was that it was fragmentary
material of something that had burnt up entering the atmosphere,but not
sure.
hlink.net...

Old August 12th 04, 09:07 PM
roadrunner

Thanks for the info John.
It may have been the remnants of that fireball leaving some sort of vapour
trail.Mon 7th April that year was Easter Monday and I would have been on
holiday from school that week so maybe I got the day confused.I`ll try and
get a back issue of the relevant journal.
. ..

Old August 13th 04, 07:24 AM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

roadrunner wrote:

I knew it.Your sophisticated humour was a dead giveaway. LOL
"nightbat" wrote in message
nightbat wrote

roadrunner wrote:

nightbat

Yes, it does hopefully come through sometimes, but go with
respectable Mr. John Zinni's posted answer, sounds on target. His
research cosmic body chart references and search engine handling is
renown. Nothing apparently gets past him even if they possibly occurred
24 years+ ago.

the nightbat