Time Travel

Old August 7th 04, 10:37 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message . net, Paul
Lawler writes
"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Can you prove me wrong. g

Quite handily. Aside from the paradox (where you killed your father,
remember?), no one has ever built a time machine or demonstrated that
time travel (into the past) is possible. Now if you have evidence to the
contrary... g

Well, a hundred years ago no-one had built a transistor radio, or an
atomic bomb, or a gene sequencer. They didn't even have the theories to
tell them such things were possible. We seem to have a considerable
advantage over them, because we do have theories. They may be wrong, of
course :-)
As for the paradox, I'll admit that it does seem that we can't travel
into our own past, before the time machine was built. Also, there are
ideas like Hawking's chronology protection hypothesis, and the
many-worlds idea that says the time we go back to isn't our time.
But those closed time-like curves are still there, and they let us see
tomorrow's lottery result, for instance! And Ronald Mallett was seeking
funding from the National Science Foundation, though AFAICS he hasn't
got it yet.
Old August 11th 04, 11:03 AM
David Oatley

it's impossible and i can PROVE it
if the goverment or person built a time machine
it would take a lot of money(millions/billions)
and it would take a lot of time (years)
so what is the first thing you would do if you built it
you would go back in time and give yourself the plans
so you save all your money and build it straight away
so if your a scientist reading this doing research
on time machines,take a minute to promise yourself
to come back and give yourself the plans.IF YOU DONT TURN UP IN 45 SECONDS
DONT BOTHER WITH THE RESEARCH ...LOL

"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Half of the greatest scientist in the world are debating whether it's
possible or not, you can't say it's defiantly not or ever possible.

LJ

Old August 11th 04, 08:10 PM
Paul Lawler

"David Oatley" wrote in message
k...
it's impossible and i can PROVE it
if the goverment or person built a time machine
it would take a lot of money(millions/billions)
and it would take a lot of time (years)
so what is the first thing you would do if you built it
you would go back in time and give yourself the plans
so you save all your money and build it straight away
so if your a scientist reading this doing research
on time machines,take a minute to promise yourself
to come back and give yourself the plans.IF YOU DONT TURN UP IN 45

SECONDS
DONT BOTHER WITH THE RESEARCH ...LOL

An interesting anecdote... but certainly not "proof." Simpy having the
plans to build something that costs billions doens't give you the
billions.

Old August 12th 04, 06:36 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message k.net,
Paul Lawler writes
"David Oatley" wrote in message
. uk...
it's impossible and i can PROVE it
if the goverment or person built a time machine
it would take a lot of money(millions/billions)
and it would take a lot of time (years)
so what is the first thing you would do if you built it
you would go back in time and give yourself the plans
so you save all your money and build it straight away
so if your a scientist reading this doing research
on time machines,take a minute to promise yourself
to come back and give yourself the plans.IF YOU DONT TURN UP IN 45

SECONDS
DONT BOTHER WITH THE RESEARCH ...LOL

An interesting anecdote... but certainly not "proof." Simpy having the
plans to build something that costs billions doens't give you the
billions.

Not billions, perhaps, but you could get millions from the right lottery
ticket. Or the right share price. Looks as if travel into the past
really is impossible. Thinking about TL Sherred's "E for Effort", Arthur
Clarke's "Time's Arrow", and Asimov's "The Dead Past" that's probably no
bad thing.