Showing of "Seeing in the Dark" at next KAS meeting

Old April 1st 08, 06:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default Showing of "Seeing in the Dark" at next KAS meeting

KAS Members and friends:

I have the PBS show "Seeing in the Dark" out of the library and I'll show it
at the next KAS meeting - if the DVD player is fixed. The last time I tried
to use it Roy said that it was broken. If it's still broken we will have to
try the laptop (also a short-term fix) or, worst case, watch it on a PC.

The show goes one hour, so if we get the "business meeting" over in 45
minutes or so, there will be time to see this before it gets really dark
(around 9 PM now). There won't be time to see the 'extras' that are on the
disk. BTW, it is suppose to be clear and cold, so bring your winter
observing clothes.

This is well worth seeing. It is also a good program to show to non-astro
friends and family members so that they will get a better understanding of
your "weird" hobby! Anything by Tim Ferris is great, and so is the book that
this show is based on:
http://www.space.com/spacelibrary/bo...ng_020829.html

Here's the related website for the show: http://www.pbs.org/seeinginthedark/

Clear skies,

George Normandin

Old April 1st 08, 06:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"George Normandin" wrote

Sorry about the private post sent here by mistake.

However, if any of you are in the Binghamton NY area you are invited to
our meeting - to be followed by observing with our A-P refractor, C-14, and
20-inch RC - not to mention about a dozen Dob's and other smaller scopes.

George N

Old April 2nd 08, 07:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jerry warner[_21_]

George Normandin wrote:

KAS Members and friends:

I have the PBS show "Seeing in the Dark" out of the library and I'll show it
at the next KAS meeting - if the DVD player is fixed. The last time I tried
to use it Roy said that it was broken. If it's still broken we will have to
try the laptop (also a short-term fix) or, worst case, watch it on a PC.

The show goes one hour, so if we get the "business meeting" over in 45
minutes or so, there will be time to see this before it gets really dark
(around 9 PM now). There won't be time to see the 'extras' that are on the
disk. BTW, it is suppose to be clear and cold, so bring your winter
observing clothes.

This is well worth seeing. It is also a good program to show to non-astro
friends and family members so that they will get a better understanding of
your "weird" hobby! Anything by Tim Ferris is great,

I agree 1000%. I have always liked Ferris' books. I bought
two copies of his "Galaxies", one for one of my sons. Then my
copy met with a flood. I bought another. That was eaten by our dog! Got another.
It vanished somehow. A neighbor suggested
she would 'cast an anti evil spell' so I ordered, It was out of
print. Im stuck with the original that went through a flood. I will
donate it to the Smithsonian when I am through !
smile, Jerry

Old April 2nd 08, 04:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"jerry warner" " wrote

..... Anything by Tim Ferris is great,

I agree 1000%. I have always liked Ferris' books. I bought
two copies of his "Galaxies".......

I had a copy of "Galaxies". A pretty young lady borrowed it and then asked
if she could keep it. I foolishly agreed.

I see that there is an autographed copy for sale on Astromart - at least as
of yesterday.

George N

Old April 3rd 08, 06:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jerry warner[_21_]

George Normandin wrote:

"jerry warner" " wrote

..... Anything by Tim Ferris is great,

I agree 1000%. I have always liked Ferris' books. I bought
two copies of his "Galaxies".......

I had a copy of "Galaxies". A pretty young lady borrowed it and then asked
if she could keep it. I foolishly agreed.

A man after my own experience!

I see that there is an autographed copy for sale on Astromart - at least as
of yesterday.

Hmm. That would ne nice.
Jerry

George N