Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Old November 28th 06, 04:11 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
The Rocket Scientist

Default Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Jim Oberg wrote:
Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Disposal of piano-sized space station piece poses challenges

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15817106/

Kid, we found your name on an envelope underneath a half a' ton of
garbage in Low Earth Orbit and we wondered if you had any information
about it.

Bill Sullivan

Old November 28th 06, 05:12 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Al G

"The Rocket Scientist" wrote in
message oups.com...
Jim Oberg wrote:
Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Disposal of piano-sized space station piece poses challenges

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15817106/

Kid, we found your name on an envelope underneath a half a' ton of
garbage in Low Earth Orbit and we wondered if you had any information
about it.

Bill Sullivan

And we figured that one big pile was better than two little ones, and
rather than bring that one up, we threw ours down...

Al G

Old November 29th 06, 05:51 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
columbiaaccidentinvestigation

Jim Oberg wrote:
Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Disposal of piano-sized space station piece poses challenges

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15817106/

Kid, we found your name on an envelope underneath a half a' ton of
garbage in Low Earth Orbit and we wondered if you had any information
about it.

Bill Sullivan

And we figured that one big pile was better than two little ones, and
rather than bring that one up, we threw ours down...

Al G

Nasa is attempting to limit the generation of orbital debris by setting
new policies and through actions such as planning for the EAS to
reenter the atmosphere. I have stated above the Protecting manned
space craft from orbital debris collisions is a chief concern for
mission safety, and therefore if safely jettisoned from the space
station the orbital decay of a known object such as the eas, from the
known orbit of the iss, can yield many scientific benefits such as
refining orbital decay models of large objects in low altitude orbits.
And given the fact the errors in current orbital decay modeling occurs
from the changing ion flux due to the suns 11 year cycles of minimum
and maximum activity, the upcoming jettison of the EAS from the space
station could provide an opportunity to refine these orbital decay
models as the solar activity should pick up in the next year or so as
we approach the next solar maximum in 2011. The following link is a
nasa policy change attempting to decrease the generation of new
orbital debris.

http://sn-callisto.jsc.nasa.gov/library/NPD_8710_3B.pdf
"1. POLICY
It is NASA policy to limit the generation of orbital debris (OD),
consistent with mission requirements and cost effectiveness
(Requirement 6025)."

tom

Old December 5th 06, 09:41 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
lab~rat >:-)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:48:32 -0500, John Doe puked:

I think that this is an exercise in proving that the shuttle isn't needed,
to demonstrate that they can jettison large bulky items. Just imagine what
happens the day one such item doesn't totally disintegrate and falls into
someone's farm/backyard.

Like Columbia...
--
lab~rat :-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old December 15th 06, 08:47 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

Jim Oberg wrote:
That's roughly the size and weight of the piece of equipment NASA plans
to throw over the space station's side next spring - if they can figure out
which way it'll go once it's cast away.

Since density is the problem, why not attach and inflate a largeish
balloon?
It's light. It's simple. The pressure inside the balloon's envelope
would be
miniscule. It would only have to last a few days before the object was
safely
below the station. I would think a couple 4-5m balloons would do the
trick.

-JohnG