Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Old November 20th 06, 08:30 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Default Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Disposal of piano-sized space station piece poses challenges

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15817106/

By James Oberg, NBC News space analyst // Special to MSNBC

This week, a spacewalking cosmonaut will tee up a golf ball just outside
the international space station and let loose with a publicity-generating
drive - a shot that has already generated a debate over the dangers posed by
orbital debris. But if you think one foam-rubber "golf ball" is a cause for
concern, how about a concert grand piano?

That's roughly the size and weight of the piece of equipment NASA plans
to throw over the space station's side next spring - if they can figure out
which way it'll go once it's cast away.

The 1,430-pound (650-kilogram) unit is called the EAS, or Early Ammonia
Servicer. It was installed in mid-2001 as an emergency reserve for the
station's coolant system. Once the mature thermal control system is
activated next month during Discovery's STS-116 mission to the space
station, the EAS becomes surplus space hardware.

photo: The Early Ammonia Servicer, a piece of equipment that weighs as
much as a heavy grand piano, sits on a rack inside a shuttle cargo bay. The
EAS was delivered to the international space station aboard the shuttle
Discovery in 2001, and will soon be jettisoned into space.

Old November 21st 06, 01:30 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
George[_1_]

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
[...]

Why don't they just bring it back on the shuttle? Or is that idea too
easy?

George

Old November 21st 06, 02:16 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jorge R. Frank

"George" wrote in
:

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Disposal of piano-sized space station piece poses challenges

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15817106/

Why don't they just bring it back on the shuttle? Or is that idea too
easy?

Why don't you just read Jim's article? Or is that idea too hard?

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old November 21st 06, 02:29 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jim Kingdon

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15817106/

Good article.

Of course, an object this big is easy to track by radar, so in that
sense it is an easier case than the golf ball. But I'm sure that
working out the first few orbits (before the radar would give accurate
orbital elements) is a bit tricky.
Old November 21st 06, 03:54 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
George[_1_]

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
"George" wrote in
:

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
Space junk problem rising to new heights [EAS jettison, mid-2007]

Disposal of piano-sized space station piece poses challenges

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15817106/

Why don't they just bring it back on the shuttle? Or is that idea too
easy?

Why don't you just read Jim's article? Or is that idea too hard?

--
JRF

Sorry. I did go back and read it, and, silly me, the article contained the
answer I was seeking. My bad. It still seems to me that once they remove
the cargo from the shuttle, they could mount that ammonia contraption into
the bay. But then, I never claimed to be an expert on Shuttle project
planning.

George

Old November 21st 06, 04:33 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Jim, you are exactly right. Getting early nav and reliable
relative motion for the first few hours will be the pucker phase.

news

Old November 21st 06, 07:47 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

"George" wrote:

Sorry. I did go back and read it, and, silly me, the article contained the
answer I was seeking. My bad. It still seems to me that once they remove
the cargo from the shuttle, they could mount that ammonia contraption into
the bay.

I would imagine the problem is mounting it to the cargo bay - it
requires a unique handling fixture, which takes up volume and mass on
the uphill run. Volume and mass to and from the ISS are at an
*extreme* premium over the next few years.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 21st 06, 10:09 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Why jettison it? Why not either leave it there or take it home?

Another thing, news says a Cosmos spacecraft was deliberately destroyed in
orbit recently.. why? Surely if they had deorbited it it would have burned
up, Now presumably, there is a cloud of debris.

Brian

Email:

Old November 21st 06, 10:40 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Chris Bennetts

Brian Gaff wrote:
Why jettison it? Why not either leave it there or take it home?

I think they have to move it off P6 before it is relocated on STS-120.

From pictures, it looks like it was launched on an ICC carrier. There
is only one of those to fly before STS-120, on ISS-12A.1/STS-116. The
EAS won't be ready for return on 12A.1, so there's no chance to return
it intact.

--Chris
Old November 21st 06, 02:31 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
George[_1_]

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"George" wrote:

Sorry. I did go back and read it, and, silly me, the article contained
the
answer I was seeking. My bad. It still seems to me that once they
remove
the cargo from the shuttle, they could mount that ammonia contraption
into
the bay.

I would imagine the problem is mounting it to the cargo bay - it
requires a unique handling fixture, which takes up volume and mass on
the uphill run. Volume and mass to and from the ISS are at an
*extreme* premium over the next few years.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

So what is more important, volume and mass issues, or concerns that
throwing this object overboard will result in catastrophe? Apparently the
former.

George