Flight to the Northern Lights

Old November 14th 05, 02:34 PM
Wendy Tinley

Default Flight to the Northern Lights

My darling husband has given me a birthday present...

http://www.meteorologica.co.uk/produ...ition=1&P_ID=2
34&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriter ia=&PT_ID=123

'ware wrapping...

The precis...

If you have ever wished to witness the Northern Lights in all their
glory then this is a great way to see them. Our astronomer estimates an
80% chance of seeing the Aurora on these trips but as with all natural
phenomena, it can never be guaranteed.

The trip consists of an illustrated presentation about the Aurora
Borealis by our professional, guest astronomer. After this you proceed
to a nearby airport and take a flight northwards to a point over the
North Atlantic. The aircraft's lights will be dimmed and everyone will
get the chance to observe the Aurora in all its glory from the
aircraft's windows. A sure way to overcome cloudy nights! Our astronomer
will be on board for the flight to assist with explanations of what you
are watching. The flight will last for around 3 hours.

Has anyone experienced this previously?

Naturally I am aware that we are reaching solar minimum so I am a bit
concerned that there is likely to be little activity... Although a
sunspot has burst into life today... fingers crossed

We are flying from the East Midlands on Nov 25th...
--
Wendy Tinley

http://www.theigloo.co.uk/
Old November 14th 05, 05:22 PM
bloostar76

I went to Lapland a few years ago (near Saariselka in Ivalo, which is a good
bit north of the Arctic circle). The northern lights were fantastic even at
that point, so I'm sure you'll see them in all their glory. January's
probably the best time to see them, correct me if I'm wrong experts!!

Old November 14th 05, 06:00 PM
Andrew Robert Breen

In article ,
bloostar76 wrote:
I went to Lapland a few years ago (near Saariselka in Ivalo, which is a good
bit north of the Arctic circle). The northern lights were fantastic even at
that point, so I'm sure you'll see them in all their glory. January's
probably the best time to see them, correct me if I'm wrong experts!!

You should have a reasonably good chance of seeing aurora around the
least week of this month - there was a fairly well-developed equatorwards
extension of the northern polar coronal hole facing the Earth in the
last week of last month, so unless it's decayed (and in this stage of the
cycle they generally last several rotations - like the Elephant's
trunk coronal hole in 1996) there should be a stream of fast solar
wind sweeping across the Earth around the time of your flight. The compression
region on the leading edge of that stream could trigger aurora.
The other factor is that the kink in the solar magnetic equator which
brings the northern polar hole down that far is associated with a
largish active region. An eruption of that region (at the right time!)
could cause aurora.
It's late in the cycle but you should stand a fairly good chance.
How far north are you going?

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting
Old November 15th 05, 08:58 AM
Wendy Tinley

In article , Paul L Money
writes
Introduce yourself if you can either before we board the plane or after
the talk before we leave for the flight.

Best wishes and I look forward to meeting you.

Replied privately...
--
Wendy Tinley

http://www.theigloo.co.uk/
Old November 15th 05, 10:30 AM
JamesB

"Paul L Money" wrote in message
We are flying from the East Midlands on Nov 25th...

I am one of the two Guest Astronomers on this flight and have now been
on several with Omega Travel.

Isn't the interweb clever...
James.

Old November 16th 05, 10:05 AM
Wendy Tinley

In article , JamesB
writes

"Paul L Money" wrote in message
We are flying from the East Midlands on Nov 25th...

I am one of the two Guest Astronomers on this flight and have now been
on several with Omega Travel.

Isn't the interweb clever...
James.

It certainly is... my cup doth runneth over...
--
Wendy Tinley

http://www.theigloo.co.uk/