JimO: "Chinese space advances benefit everyone"

Old October 22nd 03, 01:24 AM
Hop David

Default JimO: "Chinese space advances benefit everyone"

Scott Lowther wrote:

Blah, blah, blah. Adjust your tinfoil hat, skippy.

LOL

This from the guy who fears an uprising of the Aztecs to boot
non-Americans back to Europe, Africa and Asia.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old October 22nd 03, 01:37 AM
Hop David

Rand Simberg wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 04:47:47 GMT, in a place far, far away, LooseChanj
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

On or about Tue, 21 Oct 2003 04:18:07 GMT, Rand Simberg
made the sensational claim that:

Another reason why people who rely on the BBC for their information
are doomed to not only ignorance, but misinformation (not that
Christopher needed any help).

So they're slightly better informed than FOX news viewers? g,d,r

Can you point to some explicit equivalent misinformation from Fox
News?

Something equivalent to Christopher's rock hard cite of a talking head
on BBC?

Old October 22nd 03, 03:03 AM
Rand Simberg

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:06:04 -0400, in a place far, far away, Neelix

Rand Simberg wrote:
Another reason why people who rely on the BBC for their information
are doomed to not only ignorance, but misinformation (not that
Christopher needed any help).

US media, FOX and CNN in particular, tend to be very USA centric in their
coverage. And Mr Simberg's articles posted on the FOX web site show a definite
slant towards the sensationalistic coverage.

laughing

It isn't false to report that Bush stated that he now has support from the
whole world for his invasion of Iraq. He did state that.

When was that?

Old October 22nd 03, 03:04 AM
Rand Simberg

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:37:49 -0700, in a place far, far away, Hop
David made the phosphor
on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

So they're slightly better informed than FOX news viewers? g,d,r

Can you point to some explicit equivalent misinformation from Fox
News?

Something equivalent to Christopher's rock hard cite of a talking head
on BBC?

You mean something that counter's Jorge's "rock hard cite"?

Old October 22nd 03, 04:47 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Neelix wrote in
:

Similarly, we keep hearing from US media how cash strapped Russia is
and that it won't be able to meet its commitments to the station. But
if you listen to the BBC, you'll find out that Russia is actually
doing quite well with the current oil boom, and that many western oil
companies are investing in Russia.

And if you listen to Russian media like Itar-TASS, Interfax, and RIA
Novosti, you'll find out that RSC Energia considers the current ISS funding
situation "catastrophic". So whatever money Russia is making in the oil
boom, either RSC Energia isn't seeing any of it, or they're lying about the
money they do get.

Has Russia officially advised ISS partners that it would not be able
to meet its Progress and Soyuz commitments in the next year ?

Depends on how you define "Russia". The Russian government hasn't said
that, but RSC Energia has.

http://www.itar-tass.com/english/allnews/469215.html

"The corporation administration did not focus attention on the issue before
the blast-off and the docking, but has to inform its partners now that
there may be no next launchings of a Progress and other spacecraft to
ensure the ISS programme implementation in 2004."

Other articles he

http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/0/28.html?id_issue=5664706
http://en.rian.ru/rian/index.cfm?prd...trow=31&da te
=2003-10-21&do_alert=0
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e=1&u=/ap/2003
1020/ap_on_sc/russia_space

It would be really nice to get true factual information within a full
context instead of editorialised information that need to twist a
story into something sensationalitic in order to be published.

I agree. The spin on most of the Russian articles is "the US must pay!",
even to the point of making up non-existent US funding promises (like the
one in the RIA Novosti article).

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old October 22nd 03, 09:34 AM
Dave

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
Neelix wrote in
:

Similarly, we keep hearing from US media how cash strapped Russia is
and that it won't be able to meet its commitments to the station. But
if you listen to the BBC, you'll find out that Russia is actually
doing quite well with the current oil boom, and that many western oil
companies are investing in Russia.

And if you listen to Russian media like Itar-TASS, Interfax, and RIA
Novosti, you'll find out that RSC Energia considers the current ISS

funding
situation "catastrophic". So whatever money Russia is making in the oil
boom, either RSC Energia isn't seeing any of it, or they're lying about

the
money they do get.

Well there is the small matter of the total privatisation of the Russian oil
reserves a few years ago as per World Bank instructions. Interestingly a
certain Roman Abravonvitch (new owner of Chelsea FC) seems to have bought
the lot, lock, stock and barrel from the government for around $140m. Not
bad for the world's largest reserves of oil?

I think that limits what the Russian state will see, but makes Roman a very
very rich young Russian with a very wealthy "family".

I'm not entirely sure that's what the World Bank had in mind...

Old October 22nd 03, 09:52 PM
Hop David

Rand Simberg wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:37:49 -0700, in a place far, far away, Hop
David made the phosphor
on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

So they're slightly better informed than FOX news viewers? g,d,r

Can you point to some explicit equivalent misinformation from Fox
News?

Something equivalent to Christopher's rock hard cite of a talking head
on BBC?

You mean something that counter's Jorge's "rock hard cite"?

After Christopher writes:

"Well on the BBC news, a talking head in the administration popped up
and said bla bla bla then 'it's a threat to National Security'."

Rand Replies:

"Another reason why people who rely on the BBC for their information
are doomed to not only ignorance, but misinformation (not that
Christopher needed any help)."

You call this very vague account of a BBC news item another reason why
BBC is unreliable. I want to know more specifics about the news item
Christopher was referring to.

OK, I grant you that Jorge's cite proves Christopher's post wasn't vague
and not really a good basis to condemn BBC (if you live on planet Rand).