Northern Lights !

Old November 8th 04, 01:22 AM
eric bazan

Default Northern Lights !

It's about 7:20 pm, central time, 11-7. Got some good northern lights
going, lots of red. A few streamers going right though Cygnus and Lyra,
directly overhead. I live in Wisconsin, about 43 degrees north.

Friend took some great shots of the sun this weekend, and noticed
a big sunspot pointed right at us. He said we were right in the
path of any ejections, guess he was right.

Probably by the time you read this it'll be too late, but I thought
I'd post it anyway.

-Eric
Old November 8th 04, 02:02 AM
Bkiff

eric bazan wrote:
It's about 7:20 pm, central time, 11-7. Got some good northern lights
going, lots of red. A few streamers going right though Cygnus and
Lyra, directly overhead. I live in Wisconsin, about 43 degrees north.

Friend took some great shots of the sun this weekend, and noticed
a big sunspot pointed right at us. He said we were right in the
path of any ejections, guess he was right.

Probably by the time you read this it'll be too late, but I thought
I'd post it anyway.

-Eric

I happened to be out in a semi dark area. (Medford, NJ) and saw the Aurora
about 8:30pm est. Red's, blues and some blueish white "clouds" on the
zenith. Not the brightest but for the price, I'll take it.

Old November 8th 04, 02:41 AM
reconair

I just saw a very nice display in my area (N. VA) about 8:30PM. I was
stargazing with my Nexstar 102GT. I was looking at the Pleades when the sky
got very light with a pale blue color. Giant patches of pale blue would
appear and disappear only to reappear in a different part of the sky. The
aurora was most prevalent in the east/northeast and overhead.

Scott

om...

Old November 8th 04, 03:50 AM
Tom McDonald

reconair wrote:
I just saw a very nice display in my area (N. VA) about 8:30PM. I was
stargazing with my Nexstar 102GT. I was looking at the Pleades when the sky
got very light with a pale blue color. Giant patches of pale blue would
appear and disappear only to reappear in a different part of the sky. The
aurora was most prevalent in the east/northeast and overhead.

Scott

"eric bazan" wrote in message
om...

It's about 7:20 pm, central time, 11-7. Got some good northern lights
going, lots of red. A few streamers going right though Cygnus and Lyra,
directly overhead. I live in Wisconsin, about 43 degrees north.

Friend took some great shots of the sun this weekend, and noticed
a big sunspot pointed right at us. He said we were right in the
path of any ejections, guess he was right.

Probably by the time you read this it'll be too late, but I thought
I'd post it anyway.

-Eric

9:45 pm CST, 45 N, 92 W. Pretty solid just to west of my
location; streamers to north and east, occasional pulsations.
Lights extend about 20-30 degrees south of zenith. Much light
pollution at my location (I'm between two bars on a highway with
street lights every half-block), so there is no color except a
pearlescent white.

Pretty damned cool.

--
Tom McDonald
http://webpages.charter.net/tsmac/tmcdonald2672/
Old November 8th 04, 04:27 AM
Louis

Finally! Started around 11PM in the north sky close to the horizon in
Central Jersey. Very faint, ruddy color with occasional faint blue
bands. But it has been moving ever higher in the sky getting closer to
Cassiopeia around 11:20pm.

Rgds,
Louis
Old November 8th 04, 05:02 AM
Alan French

Fantastic aurora involving almost the entire sky here, visible after
miraculous clearing just before 11:00 PM. Lots of activity directly
overhead, with rapid pulsations and some nice reds. Clouds just moved in
(just before midnight), and the aurora was becoming less active. Amazingly
bright in the NW, with the clouds against the brilliant auroral glow. Quite
a treat!

Clear skies, Alan (upstate NY)

Old November 8th 04, 05:39 AM
Joe Bergeron

In article , Alan French
wrote:

Fantastic aurora involving almost the entire sky here, visible after
miraculous clearing just before 11:00 PM. Lots of activity directly
overhead, with rapid pulsations and some nice reds. Clouds just moved in
(just before midnight), and the aurora was becoming less active. Amazingly
bright in the NW, with the clouds against the brilliant auroral glow. Quite
a treat!

Clear skies, Alan (upstate NY)

Pretty much the same situation here near Binghamton. I'm watching the
clouds to see if they disperse again.

--
Joe Bergeron

http://www.joebergeron.com
Old November 8th 04, 07:22 AM
Paul S. Walsh

Woodinville, WA (Near Seattle) around 11pm PST

Green curtains to the North and very dynamic flashing across the Zenith.
Amazing for this area, simply amazing.

-Paul S. Walsh
http://www.nwlink.com/~filmdos/m111

om...

Old November 8th 04, 07:29 AM
Herb York

Must be nice to live somewhere that is doesn't rain all the time

http://www.w3.weather.com/weather/lo...ocalUndeclared

:-(
Herb

"Paul S. Walsh" wrote in message
Woodinville, WA (Near Seattle) around 11pm PST

Green curtains to the North and very dynamic flashing across the Zenith.
Amazing for this area, simply amazing.

-Paul S. Walsh
http://www.nwlink.com/~filmdos/m111

om...