What Hawking REALLY meant and his theory

Old July 28th 04, 04:28 AM
Rocket Man

Default What Hawking REALLY meant and his theory

There has been a lot of misunderstanding regarding Hawking's recent
statements. His theory about black hole radiation said things like:
T= (h c^3) / (8 pi K G M) --- T is temperature of a black hole, c is
the velocity of light, h is the Planck constant (6.626 x 10^-34), K
is the Boltzmann constant, G is the universal gravitational constant,
and M is the mass of the black hole. Hawking said that since the black
hole has a temperature observable by the outside it is radiating
energy, a very logical reasoning. Therefore, by E=Mc^2, it is also
radiating away mass. This theory has NOT been proven wrong. The
problem is this: when Hawking realized that mass radiates away, he
began to think what happens to all the information, or entropy, that
was sucked into the black hole when its mass radiates to 0 ? If it
dissapears, then the law of entropy is broken, which says entropy
cannot decrease, only increase. He suggested that the information is
lost forever. However, by solving his theory in a new way, he saw
that the energy radiating away is in the form of mangled information
of the contents of the black hole. Therefore, information CAN escape
a black hole eventually. Sorry to all you Star Trek fans, but this
also means black holes cannot be portals to other universes, because
the information within is not lost into a parallel world, but simply
radiated away. So, the data does not show that Hawking has been wrong
for 30 years, but instead shows that the question he posed when his
theory developed, the question of how can entropy be destroyed, was
not a valid question to ask. This discovery is still important though
because if he had not been wrong about this question and entropy could
be destroyed, the foundations of physics would have been shaken.
sources: Time Magazine August, Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen
Hawking

Old August 9th 04, 08:02 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double A You are so right that EM and gravity weaken the square of
the distance is so very real. It is hard to imagine just 3 feet away
from a 100w light bulb it is 9 times dimmer. Well its nice to be back.
Seems when my web was updated by MSN it distroyed my receiver. Bill
Gates is paying for this new one(I hope) Bert

Old August 16th 04, 03:30 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double-A The hurricane hit Kissimmee (my area) at exactly 8:05 pm
the wind was clocked at 115 mph,and at 9pm a tornado touched down,and
all hell broke loose. It snapped two oaks in half. A tree came down on
my wife's car in the drive way. A sun room I added to the house blew its
walls out and the roof blew apart. A palm tree came down on my aluminum
porch roof. All my shingles were blown off,and we are getting heavy
thunder showers Sat,and Sun. It looks like a war zone. I had flood
lights going in my back yard,and being a crazy person watched the storm
till the power went out. That was Friday the 13th(bad luck),but
the lucky part is no one got killed in my area. The very worse area was
Punta Gorta,and Port Charlett,and 13 people were killed. Feel bad about
the house,trees,and my wife's car. Well took a lot of
pictures. Have State Farm as my ins.co.,and it will be interesting how
they pay for all this?? Bert