Minuteman III ICBM roll

Old November 30th 11, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Matt

Default Minuteman III ICBM roll

I notice that MMIII missiles launched from Vandenberg will make a
couple of roll maneuvers as they shape their trajectory out ofver the
Pacific. Are these done for the sake of optimizing the communications/
telemetry links, or is there another reason? Assuming there were ever
launches from oeprational silos, would those have a reason to do any
rolling?

Thanks
Old November 30th 11, 11:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
larry moe 'n curly

On Nov 29, 7:17*pm, Matt wrote:

I notice that MMIII missiles launched from Vandenberg will make a
couple of roll maneuvers as they shape their trajectory out ofver the
Pacific. Are these done for the sake of optimizing the communications/
telemetry links, or is there another reason? *Assuming there were ever
launches from oeprational silos, would those have a reason to do any
rolling?

Have you tried MissileForums.com/forums , where ICBM and SLBM
veterans hang around?
Old December 2nd 11, 11:12 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Matt wrote:
I notice that MMIII missiles launched from Vandenberg will make a
couple of roll maneuvers as they shape their trajectory out ofver the
Pacific. Are these done for the sake of optimizing the communications/
telemetry links, or is there another reason?

Launches from Vandenberg are (usually) for training or test or both.
In the test cases it would not be unusual for the missile to be programmed to
do a slow roll at least for part of its trajectory in order measure flight
characteristics and control inputs.

Oftentimes the unique black-and-white "piano" stripes seen painted on the
missile is to measure this during early ascent.

I doubt it is required to improve telemetry.

Assuming there were ever
launches from oeprational silos, would those have a reason to do any
rolling?

Not that I can think of, however I agree with LM&C:

Larry, Moe & Curly:
Have you tried MissileForums.com/forums , where ICBM and SLBM
veterans hang around?

Would be a better resource than here.

One interesting item I learned from this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093548/

is that the "crewdogs" that plug in the launch codes, don't know what those
codes will actually do. Nor do they care. Their job is to get the codes in and
turn keys, whatever happens next, happens.

Dave "wishing I had a cool crewdog call-sign" Spain

PS: If you read through there, you'll find that the interesting nicknames
assigned to silos (like "Measured Response" - so far my favorite) was not
assigned by the crewdogs that man them, but by an anti-nuclear peace group
known as Plowshares. If I were an ex-crewdog, I'd be tempted to join it since
we would share a common subject but from vastly different perspectives.

PPS: If you are having a slow day and really want to get the adrenalin going I
recommend the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w

-- and some fun to put on your TIVO to play for unsuspecting members of your
household during the 5pm news (edit out the Harrisburg PA station with your
own local news as needed) --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQLig...eature=related

Dave
Old December 2nd 11, 11:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

David Spain wrote:
PPS: If you are having a slow day and really want to get the adrenalin
going I recommend the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w

This video is a bit dated. I believe it is from approx 1979.
Looking Glass as depicted here no longer flies, IIRC there is still TACAMO and
NECAP however.

Dave
Old December 3rd 11, 11:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
vello

On Nov 30, 4:17*am, Matt wrote:
I notice that MMIII missiles launched from Vandenberg will make a
couple of roll maneuvers as they shape their trajectory out ofver the
Pacific. Are these done for the sake of optimizing the communications/
telemetry links, or is there another reason? *Assuming there were ever
launches from oeprational silos, would those have a reason to do any
rolling?

Thanks

I read somewhere that at least in White Sands that "rolls" are to kill
energy of missile and to keep it in physical limits of White Sands
test range.
Old December 22nd 11, 09:52 PM posted to sci.space.history
Me

On Dec 2, 6:12*pm, David Spain wrote:
Matt wrote:
I notice that MMIII missiles launched from Vandenberg will make a
couple of roll maneuvers as they shape their trajectory out ofver the
Pacific. Are these done for the sake of optimizing the communications/
telemetry links, or is there another reason?

Launches from Vandenberg are (usually) for training or test or both.
In the test cases it would not be unusual for the missile to be programmed to
do a slow roll at least for part of its trajectory in order measure flight
characteristics and control inputs.

Oftentimes the unique black-and-white "piano" stripes seen painted on the
missile is to measure this during early ascent.

I doubt it is required to improve telemetry.

that is a very good reason for a roll, to point the transmitting
antennas to a tracking site

Old December 23rd 11, 04:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
Orval Fairbairn

In article
,

Matt wrote:
I notice that MMIII missiles launched from Vandenberg will make a
couple of roll maneuvers as they shape their trajectory out ofver the
Pacific. Are these done for the sake of optimizing the communications/
telemetry links, or is there another reason?

Launches from Vandenberg are (usually) for training or test or both.
In the test cases it would not be unusual for the missile to be programmed
do a slow roll at least for part of its trajectory in order measure flight
characteristics and control inputs.

Oftentimes the unique black-and-white "piano" stripes seen painted on the
missile is to measure this during early ascent.

I doubt it is required to improve telemetry.

that is a very good reason for a roll, to point the transmitting
antennas to a tracking site

Sometimes they roll on their own, due to the way that the thrust vector
aligns with the CG of the missile.