Why Colonize Space?

Old August 15th 09, 08:26 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics
Androcles[_17_]

Default Why Colonize Space?

"Immortalista" wrote in message
Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to leave earth. Are all arguments for moving into
space and onto other bodies in space really that weak and irrelevant?

There is no reason to climb Everest or kick a football into a goal.
Who needs reasons?
Are all your arguments really that weak and irrelevant?

Old August 15th 09, 09:11 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Greg Goss

Immortalista wrote:

Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to leave earth. Are all arguments for moving into
space and onto other bodies in space really that weak and irrelevant?

i WANT it. I've pretty much stayed out of the main argument because
colonizing a salt mine is so much easier than colonizing mars and
provides almost the same extinction protection.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Old August 15th 09, 09:12 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics
Greg Goss

"Androcles" wrote:

"Immortalista" wrote in message
Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to leave earth. Are all arguments for moving into
space and onto other bodies in space really that weak and irrelevant?

There is no reason to climb Everest or kick a football into a goal.
Who needs reasons?

Climbing Everest is done privately. I complain loudly when the
government throws money at sports.

--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Old August 15th 09, 09:55 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics
Androcles[_17_]

"Greg Goss" wrote in message
"Androcles" wrote:

"Immortalista" wrote in message
Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to leave earth. Are all arguments for moving into
space and onto other bodies in space really that weak and irrelevant?

There is no reason to climb Everest or kick a football into a goal.
Who needs reasons?

Climbing Everest is

Oh dear, you appear to have snipped part of my post.

Now, what were you saying, ****wit? Whatever it was, I snipped it.

Old August 15th 09, 10:16 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
peachyashiepassion

Default Why post on usenet?

Sir Frederick wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:12:16 -0700 (PDT), gabydewilde wrote:

Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to post on usenet. Are all arguments for sharing
thoughts and other postings on usenet really that weak and irrelevant?

On Jul 20, 11:47 pm, Immortalista wrote:
Today I was reading some opinions of people who believe that there is
no reason for humans to leave earth. Are all arguments for moving into
space and onto other bodies in space really that weak and irrelevant?

For some, Usenet, is about as close to immortality as they will come.
Everything posted goes into several archives, to be available, forever.
Web pages don't get that immortality treatment. People, not yet.
So, there you go, into the future, in print, on Usenet.

For others, Usenet is a place where people like to talk about the
same stuff they like to talk about.

Instead of the latest episode of "The Office"
Old August 15th 09, 11:34 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Don Stockbauer

On Aug 15, 4:16*pm, peachyashiepassion
wrote:
Sir Frederick wrote:
[...]

Why post on usenet?

Ans: It beats the alternative.

Old August 16th 09, 01:08 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics
David DeLaney

Androcles wrote:
"Wayne Throop" wrote in message
: "Androcles"
: Assertion carries no weight.

Unsupported

So you have no evidence that you think, as was apparent to begin with.

I hate to say this, but Terry does this MUCH better than you. Now shoo.

Dave "Gharlane of Eddore did it light-years better than that, even" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeableBLINK
Old August 16th 09, 01:21 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics
Greg Goss

"Androcles" wrote:

Who needs reasons?

OK, gather together with a band of like-minded people and fund it.
What do you need US for? If it's not a government doing it, then I
have no objection. I used to send money to L5 society for example.

Now, what were you saying, ****wit? Whatever it was, I snipped it.

I quoted the part I was talking about. I probably didn't disagree
with the parts that were snipped. There's no reason to quote a long
post to add a "**** yeah" on the bottom. Indeed, people who do that
are a nuisance on Usenet.

And people who show the attitude shown by the phrasing of your last
line there are an even bigger nuisance. I guess I should go back and
change my mind on whatever it was that I agreed with so that people
won't think I'm a ****wit like you. Being seen to agree with
assholes is against my policy.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Old August 16th 09, 01:34 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics
Walter Bushell[_2_]

In article ,
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" wrote:

wrote:
In sci.physics "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
In sci.physics Greg Goss wrote:
wrote:

I highly doubt that no matter how much technology one develops one will
be able to beat the Earth based price of nickle in ingots at $5/lb with
space based nickle or anything else.
Of course, we're already mining an asteroid for nickel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury_Basin
Only because there was no transportation cost in getting the asteroid to
the Earth.

You could use the same method today, but I believe James Nicoll has
an
apropos quote regarding lithobraking.

What method is that, wait around until one falls from the sky by itself?

There's that method, but I think the problem isn't so much in the fall,
it's that sudden stop at the END of the fall.

And the IMPACT on the surrounding area.
Old August 16th 09, 01:34 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics
Androcles[_17_]

"Greg Goss" wrote in message
"Androcles" wrote:

Who needs reasons?