Conditions at JSC

Old September 16th 08, 12:00 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Al

Default Conditions at JSC

I escaped to Dallas on Thursday was finally in touch with fellow co-
workers yesterday, Mon. the 15th.
Seems nobody was hurt that I work with.
People who were not near the water took wind damage, seems for most
was not too severe.
Friends of mine in Seabrook and Kemah area were either badly flooded
or lost houses as far as I know all those people are ok but hard to
reach.
Internal mail at JSC says the center is closed for repairs but no
details were given.
Biggest problem in Clear Lake area is not having power disrupts the
infrastructure ...hard to get gas and find food, so JSC might be
closed longer than a week, hard to tell.
One thing there is internal email and the NASA Emergency Operations
Center is telling everyone to
to call Agency Accountability which is at Marshall (I think), but
without power most JSC people can't see the WEB .... need a better
plan next time.

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/eoc/home/index.html

I have worked at JSC for the better part of 40 years and never seen it
closed by an emergency for more than a few days. It will be full up
because there seems to be no major damage but it may be
more than a week.
Mostly I am glad to hear no body seems to have got hurt, but that
community is going thought quite an ordeal right now.

Al Jackson
Old September 16th 08, 08:16 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Yes, not sure I could cope with living near that volatile coastline. Seems
only a matter of time before everyone gets it.

I suppose you get used to it, and I'd hope there is some sort of rebuilding
cover people there would need to have?

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old September 16th 08, 08:45 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
André, PE1PQX

Na rijp beraad schreef Brian Gaff :
Yes, not sure I could cope with living near that volatile coastline. Seems
only a matter of time before everyone gets it.

I suppose you get used to it, and I'd hope there is some sort of rebuilding
cover people there would need to have?

Over half of Then Netherlands is below the average sea-level, and still
we manage to keep it dry over 50 years...

Old September 17th 08, 06:19 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

André wrote:
Na rijp beraad schreef Brian Gaff :
Yes, not sure I could cope with living near that volatile coastline.
Seems only a matter of time before everyone gets it.

I suppose you get used to it, and I'd hope there is some sort of
rebuilding cover people there would need to have?

Over half of Then Netherlands is below the average sea-level, and still
we manage to keep it dry over 50 years...

Don't know the answer to this but just curious. How often do you get
Cat 3-5 Hurricanes impacting your shores in the Netherlands?

BTW, I believe that Houston and Galveston are both currently above sea
level so I don't think that is the issue. Galveston did suffer a major
hurricane around the turn of the century and if memory serves the city
at that time was at or below sea level. They suffered major causalities
and consequently re-built the city at a higher level and built a sea wall.
Old September 17th 08, 02:25 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
André, PE1PQX

Na rijp beraad schreef Leopold Stotch :
André wrote:
Na rijp beraad schreef Brian Gaff :
Yes, not sure I could cope with living near that volatile coastline.
Seems only a matter of time before everyone gets it.

I suppose you get used to it, and I'd hope there is some sort of
rebuilding cover people there would need to have?

Over half of Then Netherlands is below the average sea-level, and still we
manage to keep it dry over 50 years...

Don't know the answer to this but just curious. How often do you get Cat 3-5
Hurricanes impacting your shores in the Netherlands?

BTW, I believe that Houston and Galveston are both currently above sea level
so I don't think that is the issue. Galveston did suffer a major hurricane
around the turn of the century and if memory serves the city at that time was
at or below sea level. They suffered major causalities and consequently
re-built the city at a higher level and built a sea wall.

No hurricanes in Europe.
But why do you think the city of New Orleans or the state Louisiana
(not sure excactly who) invited Dutch engineers to advise to battle the
flood problem for the future?
We have fought the floods for almost a half a century (google for
'Delta Werken Zeeland', Dutch phrase)