LEM PD-1 ?

Old December 23rd 04, 03:12 PM
adam bootle

Default LEM PD-1 ?

Does anybody know what Grumman LEM PD-1 was used for ? I have some old
photos of a descent stage being shipped/delivered in a Supar Guppy and it is
covered but marked up PD-1, also with it is a large crate which I am
assuming were the legs for subsequent fitting.

I have found the constuction list for CSM's but not one for the LM's.

Many thanks for any help and Merry Christmas to all..........Adam Bootle

(Adam's Space Autographs http://www.adboo.com )

Old December 23rd 04, 04:52 PM
Henry Spencer

adam bootle wrote:
Does anybody know what Grumman LEM PD-1 was used for ? I have some old
photos of a descent stage being shipped/delivered in a Supar Guppy and it is
covered but marked up PD-1, also with it is a large crate which I am
assuming were the legs for subsequent fitting.

A quick check of references doesn't find anything by that designation...
Might be a dummy for facilities checkout, like the Pathfinder "orbiter"
in the shuttle program.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old December 24th 04, 08:00 PM
adam bootle

Thanks for looking Henry, I hope to scan the pics and get them on my site
over the holidays, I will put a link on here when its to to see if they jog
any memories etc.

Cheers........Adam

Old December 25th 04, 03:37 AM
Dave Michelson

adam bootle wrote:
Does anybody know what Grumman LEM PD-1 was used for ? I have some
old photos of a descent stage being shipped/delivered in a Supar
Guppy and it is covered but marked up PD-1, also with it is a large
crate which I am assuming were the legs for subsequent fitting.

It was one of two propulsion test rigs that were built in 1965 for use
in tests at White Sands. PD-1 was the LM descent propulsion test rig.
HA-4 was the LM ascent propulsion test rig.

If you want more info, the White Sands tests are mentioned in Chariots
for Apollo.

--
Dave Michelson

Old December 25th 04, 12:55 PM
adam bootle

Great thanks Dave, I'll look for that during the hols.

Merry Christmas.........Adam

Old December 26th 04, 12:30 AM
adam bootle

Dave, I forgot to ask which Chariots For Apollo, NASA SP or
Pelligrino/Stoff ?

Cheers.....Adam

Old December 26th 04, 02:05 PM
Dave Michelson

adam bootle wrote:
Dave, I forgot to ask which Chariots For Apollo, NASA SP or
Pelligrino/Stoff ?

Both :-)

The testing done at WSMR in NM (and AEDC in TN) is mentioned in passing
in the NASA SP. The human side of the story is covered in greater
detail in P/S. Much of the focus in P/S is on events from Grumman test
manager Lynn Radcliffe's perspective. Neither of the test rigs is
mentioned by name but the circumstances surrounding the testing are
reasonably well covered. In each case, check out the index for White Sands.

Also, check out the Apollo chronology, NASA SP-4009

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...P-4009/v3h.htm

PSDF is the "Propulsion Systems Development Facility" at WSMR.

--
Dave Michelson

Old December 27th 04, 12:11 AM
adam bootle

Again, many thanks for educating a simple man !

Adam ;-)

www.adboo.com