LBJ and space travel

Old May 11th 08, 06:02 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default LBJ and space travel

I remember reading that LBJ said that, once we'd landed on the moon,
the USA could get to work on domestic problems. The clear
implication appeared to be that space travel wasn't necessary or
desired.

The question is: did I imagine that? If I did not, can someone point
me to where I can find the exact context and quote?

Thanks.
Old May 11th 08, 10:56 PM posted to sci.space.history

On May 11, 10:02 am, "
wrote:
I remember reading that LBJ said that, once we'd landed on the moon,
the USA could get to work on domestic problems. The clear
implication appeared to be that space travel wasn't necessary or
desired.

The question is: did I imagine that? If I did not, can someone point
me to where I can find the exact context and quote?

Thanks.

I read in a book once that he commented to a space official at
Huntsville or Michoud after seeing all of the Apollo Saturn
infrastructure that
"it was too bad that all of this will be ****ed away" after the Apollo
Program ended.
Old May 12th 08, 07:40 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

M wrote:
I read in a book once that he commented to a space official at
Huntsville or Michoud after seeing all of the Apollo Saturn
infrastructure that
"it was too bad that all of this will be ****ed away" after the Apollo
Program ended.

What else could you do with it?
You could build a giant space station (pretty pointless, as we found out
with the ISS).
Build a base on the Moon, (again, what for? Need more rocks?).
Or set off on a manned expedition to Mars (we haven't figured out the
details of how to do that yet, much less in 1970).

Pat
Old May 12th 08, 01:02 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On May 12, 2:40 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
M wrote:
I read in a book once that he commented to a space official at
Huntsville or Michoud after seeing all of the Apollo Saturn
infrastructure that
"it was too bad that all of this will be ****ed away" after the Apollo
Program ended.

What else could you do with it?

That's not the point, here, and that changes the subject.

My direction is straightforward: what did LBJ (and his administration)
say that indicated a lack of interest in space travel?
Old May 12th 08, 02:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Mon, 12 May 2008 01:40:47 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

M wrote:
I read in a book once that he commented to a space official at
Huntsville or Michoud after seeing all of the Apollo Saturn
infrastructure that
"it was too bad that all of this will be ****ed away" after the Apollo
Program ended.

What else could you do with it?
You could build a giant space station (pretty pointless, as we found out
with the ISS).

It's only pointless if you can't afford to get to it. Which in fact
would have been the case if we were constrained to Saturn.
Old May 12th 08, 07:57 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Sun, 11 May 2008 10:02:23 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I remember reading that LBJ said that, once we'd landed on the moon,
the USA could get to work on domestic problems. The clear
implication appeared to be that space travel wasn't necessary or
desired.

The question is: did I imagine that? If I did not, can someone point
me to where I can find the exact context and quote?

....On a side note, the LBJ Library will be hosting a special exhibit
on LBJ and the Space Race starting in mid-August. Since it's just up
the road, I plan to see it, hopefully on opening day.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 13th 08, 09:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On May 12, 12:10 pm, "Jorge R. Frank" wrote:
wrote:
I remember reading that LBJ said that, once we'd landed on the moon,
the USA could get to work on domestic problems. The clear
implication appeared to be that space travel wasn't necessary or
desired.

The question is: did I imagine that? If I did not, can someone point
me to where I can find the exact context and quote?

Found something similar; it was in a 1966 State Department memo:

“If we can de-emphasize or stretch out additional costly programs aimed
at the moon and beyond, resources may to some extent be released for
other objectives which might serve more immediate, higher priority
interests.”

Yeah, because the much greater cost in money, not to mention lives
in Vietnam was so much more worth it... not.

Don't expect consistency in the utterances of politicians. As its only
sometimes, when they fail to be careful, that they say what they
really believe...

Andre

Space Travel James Colvier Policy 16 March 11th 08 08:23 AM
It Won't Be Space Travel G. L. Bradford Policy 10 September 8th 06 06:28 AM
take a look at the new way to travel into space jillh10 SETI 0 October 2nd 05 10:04 PM
space travel zelos Policy 7 October 26th 04 05:33 PM
Space Travel Brillo Pad History 0 January 10th 04 09:06 PM