Historic Cape Launch Tower Demolished (With Video Clip)

Old May 8th 08, 04:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
Gene DiGennaro

Default Historic Cape Launch Tower Demolished (With Video Clip)

I think I remember seeing some pictures of the '104 carrying a Genie.
Test only, not operational. If I recall, there was a trapeze like
device that would lower the missile some distance below the fusleage
before igniting the rocket motor. As much as I like the '104 ( it's my
favorite jet aircraft) I don't think it was a very good fighter. Lack
of range, limited weapon carriage, etc. Kelly Johnson, in interviewing
the Korean war pilots, missed the coming age of multi-role aircraft
when he designed the '104. What might have been great for 1952-53, was
not so effective by the time the '104 became operational in the late
1950s-early 1960s.
Gene