A visit to Greenwich

Old August 9th 18, 10:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default A visit to Greenwich

To see Harrison's clocks in full swing (although his H4 is currently elsewhere) is quite a sight considering the sprawling history, both technical and social that surrounds the moving gears, springs and other innovations.

The young man exuding confidence announced himself as a Greenwich astronomer but like most here beat a hasty retreat when the issue of the RA/Dec framework vs the Lat/Long system was brought up as both the innovation and the mistake was made in that very building.

The entire history of timekeeping can be constructed from my postings to this newsgroup while encompassing all the major innovations and sometimes their limitations. The separation and combination of timekeeping can be an intricate business for those willing to approach the topic with honesty and decency but it is never so intricate that it loses the observer in a contrived way.

I am proud of my own accomplishments as I should be insofar as among the displays at the Greenwich observatory are huge gaps that have been filled in here over the years while allowing the old astronomers and timekeepers the heavy lifting an exquisite judgments.

In science history this newsgroup alone will have a special place whether it is recognised or not given that most that now remain are like that empirical theorist today who found himself ill-prepared for genuine astronomy and timekeeping.
Old August 10th 18, 12:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 3:39:05 PM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

The entire history of timekeeping can be constructed from my postings to this newsgroup

You know, the Greenwich Observatory has a _meridian circle_. The reason why that
is useful for purposes relating to timekeeping is, of course, the reason why your
posts here are based on a mistaken premise.

John Savard
Old August 10th 18, 06:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 10 August 2018 01:50:36 UTC+2, Quadibloc wrote:

You know, the Greenwich Observatory has a _meridian circle_. The reason why that
is useful for purposes relating to timekeeping is, of course, the reason why
your posts here are based on a mistaken premise.

John Savard

There are no lengths to which the 1313½ beer crate orator will not go to embarrass itself. A local brewery is considering renaming a beer after 1313½ because of the troll's excessive consumption of their brewing capacity.
Old August 10th 18, 09:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

In the end it comes down to the equatorial speed of the Earth as a location enters and exits the circle of illumination each day giving us the day/night cycle. Only one value is allowed and in this case it is 1037.5 miles per hour and turning its entire circumference in 24 hours as per the 24 hour and Lat/Long system.

The marketing in Greenwich for theoretical convictions is no better or worse than anywhere else however I commend them for the descriptive visual tools they use and sometimes misuse to present their points when they do present solar system topics like the planets.

The Ra/Dec framework and the Lat/Long framework are children of the 1461 day calendar framework and the formatting which distinguishes the clockwork 365/366 day system from the 365 1/4 day natural system. I do regret that I haven't found adults who can exist on a plane of understanding which doesn't go too far with clockwork modeling but I don't say that out of self praise but rather genuine resonance with the topic.

Old August 13th 18, 08:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

It is said that there are 500,000,000 visits to Wikipedia each month making it by far the most popular destination for references whether people hold some of the information as unreliable or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

What can be more dismal than the wrong value for equatorial speed of our home planet given in the fact section as they base that speed on the 23 hour 56 minute 04 second value instead of the principles based around the 24 hour and Lat/Long systems which make the value 1037.5 miles per hour and one full rotation of the circumference in 24 hours.

What is needed is a sweeping change in how interested people deal with the matter instead of the untenable fudge which displaces the 24 hour and Lat/Long systems with RA/Dec reckoning. This business of having your cake and eating it rots societies from the inside as recent events have shown so while the usual robotic reactions are expected, individuals here can make a difference despite the belief that academic positions are so lucrative and entrenched that it is hopeless.