IC 1396A Elephant Trunk Nebula in Cepheus

Old September 16th 07, 04:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_3_]

Default IC 1396A Elephant Trunk Nebula in Cepheus

Dear group,

I had serious trouble last night with the incredibly variable seeing
and where, for example, more than 2 hours where required to obtain a
total of sixty minutes of semi-reasonable luminance data.

Although the result will require a second visit under better
conditions, I am quite happy in lieu of the prevailing conditions last
night. For the result based on (only) four hours total exposure, I
kindly direct you to http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-IC-1396A.htm ...
also please note the small reflection nebula just before the circular
portion of the trunk to the right.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Old September 16th 07, 06:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Sep 16, 9:17 am, Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

For the result based on (only) four hours total exposure, I
kindly direct you tohttp://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-IC-1396A.htm...
also please note the small reflection nebula just before the circular
portion of the trunk to the right.

Another lovely image!

To me, your image looks more like a moose's head (in profile) than an
elephant's trunk. The small reflection nebula appears to coincide
with the moose's right nostril ;-)

Bill Greer
To sketch is to see.