M1 - Crab Nebula in Taurus

Old November 2nd 06, 06:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default M1 - Crab Nebula in Taurus

Dear Friends,

Finally a small break in the bad weather we have been experiencing the
past few weeks with a brief 3.5-hr window of opportunity after the moon
had finally set to image the Crab Nebula in Taurus. I regret not
pursuing the luminance portion in h-alpha (live and learn) and I will
follow-up with a repeat visit which will most certainly include a heavy
h-alpha component.

For those interested, please see
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-1952.htm .... the higher resolution
version available by clicking on the hyperlinked image includes a
"misplaced" asteroid on the upper left quadrant.

The seeing was quite horrible (FWHM 2.9 to 3.6 arc-secs) and a far cry
from my usual 1.7 to 2.3 arc-secs.

Clear skies!

Anthony.
Old November 2nd 06, 07:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie
[email protected]

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
Dear Friends,

Finally a small break in the bad weather we have been experiencing the
past few weeks with a brief 3.5-hr window of opportunity after the moon
had finally set to image the Crab Nebula in Taurus. I regret not
pursuing the luminance portion in h-alpha (live and learn) and I will
follow-up with a repeat visit which will most certainly include a heavy
h-alpha component.

For those interested, please see
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-1952.htm .... the higher resolution
version available by clicking on the hyperlinked image includes a
"misplaced" asteroid on the upper left quadrant.

The seeing was quite horrible (FWHM 2.9 to 3.6 arc-secs) and a far cry
from my usual 1.7 to 2.3 arc-secs.

I would avoid going h-halfa for a luminance but then it is up to each
individual. As for the picture the colour balance isn't the best, the
central portion is a bit too bright (hence hiding the details within) ,
it is pretty noisy and the background is too dark (except for a faint
reddish halo around the central portion of the image). Were I you I
would go for a stright 3-hours luminance followed by the canonical rgb
in binned mode.

Andrea T.

Old November 2nd 06, 07:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie
Anthony Ayiomamitis

wrote:
Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Dear Friends,

Finally a small break in the bad weather we have been experiencing the
past few weeks with a brief 3.5-hr window of opportunity after the moon
had finally set to image the Crab Nebula in Taurus. I regret not
pursuing the luminance portion in h-alpha (live and learn) and I will
follow-up with a repeat visit which will most certainly include a heavy
h-alpha component.

For those interested, please see
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-1952.htm .... the higher resolution
version available by clicking on the hyperlinked image includes a
"misplaced" asteroid on the upper left quadrant.

The seeing was quite horrible (FWHM 2.9 to 3.6 arc-secs) and a far cry
from my usual 1.7 to 2.3 arc-secs.

Hi Andrea,

I would avoid going h-halfa for a luminance but then it is up to each
individual. As for the picture the colour balance isn't the best, the
central portion is a bit too bright (hence hiding the details within) ,
it is pretty noisy and the background is too dark (except for a faint
reddish halo around the central portion of the image). Were I you I
would go for a stright 3-hours luminance followed by the canonical rgb
in binned mode.

I had a brief window last night (3.5 hrs) and I tried to make the best
of it by splitting time between the LRGB components. This is certainly
an image to be revisited when more time is available and with the moon
not dictating how long I have at my disposal for M1.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. It is obvious that there is lots
of room for improvement.

Anthony.

Andrea T.

Old November 4th 06, 02:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie
Philippe Delsol

Anthony Ayiomamitis a écrit :
Dear Friends,

Finally a small break in the bad weather we have been experiencing the
past few weeks with a brief 3.5-hr window of opportunity after the moon
had finally set to image the Crab Nebula in Taurus. I regret not
pursuing the luminance portion in h-alpha (live and learn) and I will
follow-up with a repeat visit which will most certainly include a heavy
h-alpha component.

For those interested, please see
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-1952.htm .... the higher resolution
version available by clicking on the hyperlinked image includes a
"misplaced" asteroid on the upper left quadrant.

The seeing was quite horrible (FWHM 2.9 to 3.6 arc-secs) and a far cry
from my usual 1.7 to 2.3 arc-secs.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Thank you, Danke, Merci !

--
Philippe
Old November 4th 06, 02:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie

"Philippe Delsol" wrote in message
[...]

Pas "danke" en grec, ce serait plutôt du genre "??? ????????????" mais ils
disent aussi "merci"!

Thierry

--
Philippe

Old November 4th 06, 02:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie

Thierry wrote in message ...
.
Pas "danke" en grec, ce serait plutôt du genre "??? ????????????" mais ils

??? = Bravo pour le support du grec dans les softs... à quoi sert l'unicode
? Et qu'à fait la commission européenne du tps ou la Grèce étant aux
commandes ? (avec un vrai ?) Pfff.
Oui en fait unicode "y supporte pas l'ISO 15924" (grec).... double Pfff.

Anthony a peut-être la réponse.

Hi Anthony, king of the starfire !
I cannot post a msg written in greek alphabet...I need the iso 15924 code
How do you write in greek in your post ? (I tried to write the translation
of "thank you" in greek, I gave up!). You need a greek version of your
mailing system as well to preserve the iso codes ?

Regards for LX,

Thierry
Luxorion

Old November 4th 06, 02:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie
Philippe Delsol

Thierry a écrit :
[...]

en Grec ?
ευχαÏιστώ

j'espere que tu as de l'utf8 ;-)

Thierry

--
Philippe
Old November 4th 06, 01:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Thierry wrote:
Thierry wrote in message ...

.
Pas "danke" en grec, ce serait plutôt du genre "??? ????????????" mais ils

??? = Bravo pour le support du grec dans les softs... à quoi sert l'unicode
? Et qu'à fait la commission européenne du tps ou la Grèce étant aux
commandes ? (avec un vrai ?) Pfff.
Oui en fait unicode "y supporte pas l'ISO 15924" (grec).... double Pfff.

Anthony a peut-être la réponse.

Ãåßá óïõ ößëå ÈéåññÞ!

Hi Anthony, king of the starfire !

I love and cherish my AP StarFire. Yes, six years on the waiting list
but what an instrument! The only mistake I made was not placing my name
on the list for two such instruments back in 1999.

I just picked up a Tak FSQ-106/f5 for widefield work and I am now in
heaven with these two wonderful scopes.

I cannot post a msg written in greek alphabet...

I just posted some Greek text above to see if it makes it through or
not. Using the Mozilla reader in Netscape, I select View-Character
Encoding-Greek (ISO-8859-7) and the message is now enabled for Greek
characters. Next, I then select GR in my Windows (XP) toolbar so that
the keyboard can write Greek letters using the existing English keyboard
on my Dell and I am all set.

I need the iso 15924 code
How do you write in greek in your post ? (I tried to write the translation
of "thank you" in greek, I gave up!).

In Greek, we say "thank you" with "Åõ÷áñéóôþ" or "Ó'åõ÷áñéóôþ".

You need a greek version of your
mailing system as well to preserve the iso codes ?

No I do not. I use Netscape V7.2 and the Mozilla reader that comes with it.

Regards for LX,

ÐïëëÜ ÷áéñåôßóìáôá áðü ôçí ÅëëÜäá! (Many/Best wishes from Greece).

Thierry

Anthony.

Luxorion

Old November 4th 06, 05:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_1_]

Thierry wrote:
I just posted some Greek text above to see if it makes it through or not.

No. It doesn't.

I saw it just fine, although (because Unicode wasn't used) I have to
switch between Western European (ISO-8859-1) and Greek (ISO-8859-7) in
order to read both your French and his Greek.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html
Old November 4th 06, 05:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie

"Anthony Ayiomamitis" wrote in message
Thierry wrote:
Thierry wrote in message ...

Hi Anthony, king of the starfire !

I love and cherish my AP StarFire. Yes, six years on the waiting list

So long now ? I expected 1.5 years, 2 at bast (worst)... sad.

but what an instrument! The only mistake I made was not placing my name on
the list for two such instruments back in 1999.

To make a bino to challenge Miyauchi or Swarovski ? ;-))

I just picked up a Tak FSQ-106/f5 for widefield work and I am now in
heaven with these two wonderful scopes.

I cannot post a msg written in greek alphabet...

I just posted some Greek text above to see if it makes it through or not.

No. It doesn't.

Using the Mozilla reader in Netscape, I select View-Character
Encoding-Greek (ISO-8859-7) and the message is now enabled for Greek
characters. Next, I then select GR in my Windows (XP) toolbar so that the
keyboard can write Greek letters using the existing English keyboard on my
Dell and I am all set.

Not better (or it is my application).

I need the iso 15924 code

You do. See microsoft. I have the same problem and I cannot fix it. I need
to check all this.
it is not intuitive, as usual to MS :-((
I expected that new fixes and SP2 fixed this as the european users (with
pressure of the european commission and his greek member) are as numerous as
the US one and have all this problem of language.
But currently it is to the user to implement this option.

How do you write in greek in your post ? (I tried to write the
translation of "thank you" in greek, I gave up!).

In Greek, we say "thank you" with "Åõ÷áñéóôþ" or "Ó'åõ÷áñéóôþ".

"Ao..." Hum! Babelfish altavista give us the right answer too but we cannot
display it in this msg, excepted your friend Philippe.

You need a greek version of your mailing system as well to preserve the
iso codes ?

No I do not. I use Netscape V7.2 and the Mozilla reader that comes with
it.

Good idea but seems not enough... ! :-)
Of course it shoud be supported by the OS, not only by the application.
I haven't find an installation procedure online yet.
I could ask to some friends at E.C. is needed.

Thierry