NASA teams with Lady Bird Johnson wildflower center

Old August 27th 05, 08:37 AM
Jacques van Oene

Default NASA teams with Lady Bird Johnson wildflower center

NASA TEAMS WITH LADY BIRD JOHNSON WILDFLOWER CENTER

August 26, 2005

Linda Matthews-Schmidt
Johnson Space Center, Houston
281/483-5111

Report #J05-031

NASA TEAMS WITH LADY BIRD JOHNSON WILDFLOWER CENTER

NASA has awarded Austin's Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center a grant to
create a native plant landscape master plan at the Johnson Space Center.

Beginning in September, JSC will be a test site for a new program developed
by the Wildflower Center and the American Association of Landscape
Architects (ASLA) called Sustainable Landscapes.

During a three-year project, Wildflower Center staff will design a
sustainable landscape that supports the culture and values of the local
community, improves and restores desired wildlife habitat and contributes to
the overall health of the local ecosystem. The master plan will identify and
design formal landscape areas at JSC's Rocket Park, heavily landscaped areas
surrounding buildings and areas of adjacent wildflower meadows.

"NASA is committed to conduct our programs in the most environmentally
conscious manner we can," said Joel Walker JSC center operations
director. "We are delighted to partner with the Wildflower Center in
taking 'green building' to the next step. We are fortunate to have such a
nationally recognized resource in our own back yard and look forward to
helping set the standard for the rest of the country."

"It is fitting that Mrs. Johnson's vision for a healthy and more beautiful
landscape is being carried out at NASA's Johnson Space Center," said
Susan Rieff, Wildflower Center executive director. "The Sustainable
Landscapes project will help set the standard for restoring regional
character and the ecological health of North America. We hope this pilot
project will inspire other organizations to use native plants in their
planned landscapes."

The landscape rating system and evaluation tool under development by the
Wildflower Center and ASLA is similar to the U.S. Green Building Council's
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Program (LEED), a rating
system primarily for buildings. The results of this pilot project by the
Wildflower Center at JSC will assist in the further development of
Sustainable Landscape standards.

"All of our new building construction and existing building
refurbishments will follow LEED program criteria," Walker said.
"Our goal is to reduce landscape maintenance costs while enhancing
biological diversity and wildlife habitat."

Wildflower Center staff will evaluate landscape design and maintenance
programs for long-term sustainability. They will create new design,
development and maintenance policies for Rocket Park and other areas of JSC.
The care of a native plant landscape often requires specific knowledge and
management techniques that are different from traditional commercial
practices. As part of the project, the Wildflower Center will conduct
training on native plant landscapes for the landscape maintenance staff at
JSC.

###

--

Jacques :-)