Suicide is painless...NOT

Old August 3rd 04, 03:40 AM
Terrell Miller

Default Suicide is painless...NOT

I just found out that one of my uncles died early this morning of a cranial
contusion (.38 caliber variety).

Guy was in poor health and had been drinking himself blind the last couple
years, but he had an awful lot to live for: two sons with grandchildren, his
youngest daughter just got married to a wonderful guy, and a couple of years
ago the daughter who his ex gave up for adoption reunited with him, and he
was glowing for months. He had a wonderful girfriend of 25 years to grow old
with. We had our annual family reunion at his house the last four years,
including last weekend. He had a choice of maintaining his fourteen acres of
absolutely primo mountain property (including his own trout pond) or selling
it for high-six-figures, which is pricey for North Georgia. He had some bad
things going on but a helluva lot of good things too.

He survived several near-fatal car wrecks, third degree burns over a quarter
of his body when he was clearing brush, two hip replacement surgeries, and
GOK what else.

****er called one of his other sisters last night, chatted for a few
minutes, told her he was going to bed and to be sure to call him in the
morning. She did, got no answer, got worried, drove over to his house, and
found him sprawled across the bed.

Public Service Announcement:

If you ever think you just can't go on, that there's no point in living:
PLEASE talk to someone. Get help. There are *always* reasons to keep
plugging away at life, especially if you would be leaving loved ones behind.

PLEASE don't do it.

--
Terrell Miller

Old August 3rd 04, 03:47 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message
I just found out that one of my uncles died early this morning of a

cranial
contusion (.38 caliber variety).

Oh gawd, I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences.

Old August 3rd 04, 05:58 AM
Charleston

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message
I just found out that one of my uncles died early this morning of a

cranial
contusion (.38 caliber variety).

Oh gawd, I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences.

My condolences, too. For any of your family members that are close to your
uncle, make sure they get counseling, particularly the person who found your
uncle. The family is often as much a victim of the suicide as the one who
did the unthinkable.

Daniel

Old August 3rd 04, 06:03 AM
Rand Simberg

Charleston wrote:

The family is often as much a victim of the suicide as the one who
did the unthinkable.

As much as? The dead aren't victims at all (particularly those who
instigate their own deaths). They're infinitely beyond that state. In
order to be a victim, one must feel.
Old August 3rd 04, 06:14 AM
Charleston

"Rand Simberg" wrote:

Charleston wrote:

The family is often as much a victim of the suicide as the one who
did the unthinkable.

As much as? The dead aren't victims at all (particularly those who
instigate their own deaths). They're infinitely beyond that state. In
order to be a victim, one must feel.

So exactly what do murder victims feel?

http://www.1-teenage-suicide.com/

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...&oneclick=true

Daniel

Old August 3rd 04, 06:40 AM
Rand Simberg

Charleston wrote:

The family is often as much a victim of the suicide as the one who
did the unthinkable.

As much as? The dead aren't victims at all (particularly those who
instigate their own deaths). They're infinitely beyond that state. In
order to be a victim, one must feel.

So exactly what do murder victims feel?

The dead feel nothing.
Old August 3rd 04, 06:42 AM
Rand Simberg

Terrell Miller wrote:

I just found out that one of my uncles died early this morning of a cranial
contusion (.38 caliber variety).

Very sorry to hear that, Terrell. Events like that put things in
perspective.
Old August 3rd 04, 06:45 AM
Charleston

"Rand Simberg" wrote:
Charleston wrote:

The family is often as much a victim of the suicide as the one who
did the unthinkable.

As much as? The dead aren't victims at all (particularly those who
instigate their own deaths). They're infinitely beyond that state. In
order to be a victim, one must feel.

So exactly what do murder victims feel?

The dead feel nothing.

Good, then we agree on one thing, but you might want to reconsider your
requirement that one must "feel" anything to be a victim. In any event,
many murder and suicide victims do in fact feel something prior to death.
As an example, pain comes to mind in many cases.

Daniel

Old August 3rd 04, 09:29 AM
EAC

The sci.space newsgroups is no place to talk about suicides.

Unless you want to talk about space related suicide, like in the
Apollo 13 mission when they're prepared to told one of the crew to
kill himself, or the fictional movie "Marooned" (that premiered before
the Apollo 13 mission took place) when one of the crew kill himself so
that his fellow crewmember could get enough air.

Other than that, newsgroups like alt.suicide are a much better suited
newsgroups.

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message . ..
Public Service Announcement:

If you ever think you just can't go on, that there's no point in living:
PLEASE talk to someone. Get help. There are *always* reasons to keep
plugging away at life, especially if you would be leaving loved ones behind.

PLEASE don't do it.

What someone want to do with HIS life is none of our business, we can
only give good information to him/her and then the rest is up to
him/her.

It should be noted that in the end, your life is actually is owned by
God, and God loaned to you so you can take care of it. So for
everything that what you want to do, you got to ask yourself, is this
really what God wanted me to do with my life?