The Great Nebula in Orion M42 in H-alpha [field = 0,34° x 0,68°]

Old March 18th 09, 05:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Danilo Pivato

Default The Great Nebula in Orion M42 in H-alpha [field = 0,34° x 0,68°]

Hi all

a new shot of the winter sky: The Orion Nebula M42 with Takahashy BRC250
+ filter H-alpha 6,3nm.
Two sequens exposed:
25x90 seconds for the central part of the nebula
20x300 seconds for the weak parts.
During the routine of the focusing FWHM has been of 1,7
Regards,

Danilo Pivato

HomePage: www.danilopivato.com

Image standard:
http://www.danilopivato.com/tabulae_...m42_ha_brc.htm

Old March 18th 09, 06:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Mar 18, 12:12*pm, "Danilo Pivato" wrote:
Hi all

a new shot of the winter sky: The Orion Nebula M42 with Takahashy BRC250
+ filter H-alpha 6,3nm.
Two sequens exposed:
25x90 seconds for the central part of the nebula
20x300 seconds for the weak parts.
During the routine of the focusing FWHM has been of 1,7
Regards,

Danilo Pivato

HomePage:www.danilopivato.com

Image standard:http://www.danilopivato.com/tabulae_...m42_ha_brc.htm

Interesting to compare your narrow band H-alpha image with my white
light image, which shows all the stars: http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/roland/m42trap3.html
Old March 18th 09, 07:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ioannis

Ο wrote:
On Mar 18, 12:12 pm, "Danilo Pivato" wrote:
Hi all

a new shot of the winter sky: The Orion Nebula M42 with Takahashy BRC250
+ filter H-alpha 6,3nm.
Two sequens exposed:
25x90 seconds for the central part of the nebula
20x300 seconds for the weak parts.
During the routine of the focusing FWHM has been of 1,7
Regards,

Danilo Pivato

HomePage:www.danilopivato.com

Image
standard:http://www.danilopivato.com/tabulae_...m42_ha_brc.htm

Interesting to compare your narrow band H-alpha image with my white
light image, which shows all the stars:
http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/roland/m42trap3.html

I remember vividly an image of the Trifid, circa 1968, in a certain
encyclopedia, and I am pretty sure that the image was captured by the Palomar
scope.

Comparing the image in my memory banks to this, for example:

http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/roland/m20a.html

I find the latter much more detailed and of much higher quality than the
corresponding Palomar image.

It is annoyingly fascinating if not slightly paradoxical to say the least, how
an 155mm AP can outperform a 200" observatory scope, so I am wondering whether
amateurs who own AP scopes really understand what they have in their hands :-)
--
Ioannis --- "There's _always_ a mistake, somewhere."
Chaos --- http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/

Old March 19th 09, 07:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Get lost

On Mar 18, 1:12*pm, "Danilo Pivato" wrote:
Hi all

a new shot of the winter sky: The Orion Nebula M42 with Takahashy BRC250
+ filter H-alpha 6,3nm.
Two sequens exposed:
25x90 seconds for the central part of the nebula
20x300 seconds for the weak parts.
During the routine of the focusing FWHM has been of 1,7
Regards,

Danilo Pivato

HomePage:www.danilopivato.com

Image standard:http://www.danilopivato.com/tabulae_...m42_ha_brc.htm

Be interesting to go back to around 1975 and show such an image to an
amateur. Nice work!
Old March 19th 09, 12:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Danilo Pivato

Chris,
very interesting! Thanks

Danilo Pivato

Old March 19th 09, 12:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Danilo Pivato

Thank you!

Danilo Pivato

"Get lost" ha scritto nel messaggio
On Mar 18, 1:12 pm, "Danilo Pivato" wrote:

Nice work!

Old March 19th 09, 07:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
catzz66

Thank you both. Beautiful images.
Old March 19th 09, 08:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On 18 Μαρ, 21:15, "Ioannis" wrote:
Hi all

It is annoyingly fascinating if not slightly paradoxical to say the least, how
an 155mm AP can outperform a 200" observatory scope, so I am wondering whether
amateurs who own AP scopes really understand what they have in their hands :-)

Ioanni,

Rest assured each AP user knows exactly what they have in their
possession! I still remember my "first light" peek through mine a few
years ago!

Anthony.

Old March 19th 09, 09:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ioannis

wrote:
On 18 Μαρ, 21:15, "Ioannis" wrote:
Hi all

It is annoyingly fascinating if not slightly paradoxical to say the least,
how an 155mm AP can outperform a 200" observatory scope, so I am wondering
whether amateurs who own AP scopes really understand what they have in their
hands :-)

Ioanni,

Rest assured each AP user knows exactly what they have in their
possession!

Antoni,

I certainly hope so! I was still pestering my Father to buy me a good scope back
in the 1980s, but he was at the time in bad emotional shape. He had investigated
several SC's, and we had seen photos together, earlier. One fine day back in
October of 1985, one year prior to his death, I received a coupled of photos,
while I was a student in the States. This one,

http://misc.virtualcomposer2000.com/AP504.jpg

and one photograph of M42 taken with what I believe was the aforementioned
scope. Both are 3x4" Kodak photographs. I have since lost the M42 photo, but the
one above has the following specs printed on its back:

'5" F6 with model 504
German Equatorial'

When I saw the M42 photo, in the Chicago underground el, while riding home from
school, my jaw dropped. When I saw the above photo, my jaw dropped twice. When I
went back and re-saw the M42 photo my jaw dropped a THIRD time.

I still remember my "first light" peek through mine a few
years ago!

If I was higher in the evolutionary ladder, I'd construct an AP binocular with
two 5-6" APs, move them in a remote location and disappear from the face of this
planet.

Unfortunately, I am not there yet, so I have to contend with my 'first light'
being just having the photos and looking at new ones on adds :-)

Anthony.

[*] It is quite possible that the designer of the above scope probably remembers
the correspondance between him and my Father and those two photos.

Old March 19th 09, 10:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On 19 Μαρ, 23:10, "Ioannis" wrote:

If I was higher in the evolutionary ladder, I'd construct an AP binocular with
two 5-6" APs, move them in a remote location and disappear from the face of this
planet.

Ioanni,

Picking two AP scopes is much more difficult than it may seem. For
example, AP160's do show up on the resale market but (1) they have a
serious premium and (2) they do not show up very frequently.

Some other models (AP155/f7, AP130/f6) show up a little more
frequently but your "AP binoviewer" will still cost five digits. Of
course, the view will be priceless and worth disappearing from the
face of this planet. :-)

Anthony.